Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 Sensus navigation voice

Views : 1258

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 12:00   #1
MikeNE

Default V90 Sensus navigation voice

Hi
I've recently bought a V90CC. (july, model year 2018)
I've got a strange problem that the dealer doesn't (won't) recognise as being reported before......
The voice on my sensus navigation (regardless of gender) won't say "A" but instead says "a" - thus the A90 is pronounced as the a90.
On a recent 1000mile trip. this became somewhat annoying and distracting!
Has anyone else experienced this or know how to fix it??
MikeNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 12:09   #2
Lexman8
Premier Member

It's a known problem and hasn't been fixed in 2 years. It renders some road numbers unrecognisable, eg when it says A80 the 'a' and the first syllable of eight become merged into an unrecognisable sound.
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 12:45   #3
MikeNE

Default thanks for quick reply

are Volvo themselves aware of this?
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 14:08   #4
Lexman8
Premier Member

I, and I think others, have raised this with the dealer but to no avail. I haven't directly contacted Volvo UK as I suspect it'd be a waste of time since their usual response is "speak to your dealer".
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 14:23   #5
MikeNE

Many thanks for the info.
Any others have experience/comments?
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 14:36   #6
cassell
Member since 1988

Yes, you are not alone in being frustrated by this, not really acceptable in a £50k car, especially as my old Snooper Sirius Sat Nav at £300 was absolutely word-perfect!

I'm told that it may be on a 'to do' list with Volvo and should be rectified at a future map/software update, don't hold your breath though!
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 16:21   #7
MikeNE

Thanks Cassell - some consolation, I guess, in not being alone but very frustrating - a measurable downgrade from my previous 10 year old XC70!!
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 17:13   #8
Jcbrown

I do wonder how something as basic as "ah one" v "ai one" ever got past QC. And I also wonder why it is still an issue after all this time, when I am sure it should be relatively easy to fix (replace the "ah" sound with an "ai" sound). And finally why every sat-nav I have had since the first one I had 17 years ago in 2000, be they built in or after market, have all had an "ai" sound for A-roads except this one.

We find it quite funny at times.
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 13:02   #9
Mikeerush

My XC60 D5 Inscription has the same pronunciation problem. All main dealers just act dumb as if they've no knowledge of this. Today I managed to get a Volvo salesman to confirm that his company S90 did in fact have the same 'a' or 'er' for the capital letter 'A'. He said there was nothing they can do about it! What a simple software patch, c'mon!!

I think the best tack with Volvo is to formally complain to Volvo Cars UK (& Sweden) that it is regarded as a 'SAFETY ISSUE' in that it causes hesitation and distraction to the driver when negotiating turns or at roundabouts. This is definitely a fact in addition to being very irritating!!
Mikeerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 13:43   #10
Driver Dave

I thought Volvo had addressed this issue, mine used to say "a" as in bath but since the latest Voice Control update is now saying "A" as in hay.

Have you tried updating your VC to the latest?

Tags
sensus navigation, v90, voice messages