Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 struggling to start

Views : 1069

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 29th, 2018, 18:40   #1
Vanndan

Default V50 struggling to start

Just recently my V50 has been struggling to start after my first run of the day. Eg. I pop to the shops for some bits and bobs, it starts up perfectly fine. Get to my destination stop the car do my thing and get back in the car and it gives me hell to crank over. It will start eventually. If any one could give me advice or tips I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance. Edit : I've been researching, could it be a temperature sensor as it's only been doing this since we've had this hot weather?

Last edited by Vanndan; Jun 29th, 2018 at 19:02. Reason: Researched the problem
Vanndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2018, 19:14   #2
volvopilot

what engine type?

I have a 1.8L petrol with the same behaviour and it seems to be more of a common problem with the focus/volvo's with this engine. Not sure what it is but it only happens with a warm engine. Cold starts are fine.
volvopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2018, 19:23   #3
Vanndan

It's the 2.0 D SE. From what I have been reading it could well be the temperature sensor. If it's faulty the sensor will think the engine is cold so it chucks more fuel down the line (I think) but in reality the engine is still hot. It gives it a rough start. For the first time today it dumped smoke out the exhaust on the second start. But yeah same here cold starts are fine.
Old Jun 29th, 2018, 21:07   #4
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

I struggle to start most mornings.
I find that a pot of tea with some toast and marmalade usually does the trick.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volvoid For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2018, 21:23   #5
Vanndan

I agree with the tea and toast but it's all about that marmite for me
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 00:15   #6
Bungo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanndan View Post
Just recently my V50 has been struggling to start after my first run of the day. Eg. I pop to the shops for some bits and bobs, it starts up perfectly fine. Get to my destination stop the car do my thing and get back in the car and it gives me hell to crank over. It will start eventually. If any one could give me advice or tips I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance. Edit : I've been researching, could it be a temperature sensor as it's only been doing this since we've had this hot weather?
Always had this problem. Never got to the bottom of it. I just don't do short hops anymore. Wastes a bit of fuel and time but saves the grief.
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 09:45   #7
The Thong
VOC Member

The flap in the throttle body is sticking, a common problem with that engine. Somewhere in this forum there’s a how to on cleaning and slightly modifying it. If you can find it, PM me and I’ll tell you how to do it. How olds your V50?
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 11:40   #8
The Thong
VOC Member

In short, the throttle housing on your V50 (depending on age, there’s two different types) is made of plastic with a plastic butterfly flap in it. When the engines cold the flap is a snug fit but over time you get oily coke deposits from the EGR build up around the flap. When the throttle housing expands the flap jams o the deposits in the housing which is why in short journeys you get no issues but if the engine gets up to temperature it gets hard to start, essentially the flap is getting stuck until the engine cools allowing the throttle housing to contract which releases the butterfly flap.
You’ll need some basic tools, light sandpaper, carburettor cleaner, old toothbrush and some Torx’s Keys to strip the housing off the engine. This job will vary depending on the age of the V50, mine was an 06 with a single inlet throttle housing which is easy to remove.

Remove the intake pipe from the end of the throttle housing by undoing the jubilee clip. Push the pipe out of the way. Disconnect the vacuum pipes that go into it and remove the sensors by undoing the torx screws that hold em in, don’t damage them. There’s three torx scores that hold the throttle housing to the manifold, undi them and remove the housing.

Inside the housing you will see a butterfly flap which will be closed. Push it open with your finger and wash it out with the carb cleaner using the tooth brush to loosen up and carbon deposits. Once it’s clean, keep the flap open and carefully chamfer the edges of the flap (don’t panic, it won’t cause any issues), I do it enough so I can shine a torch up it when the flaps shut and see a halo effect around the edges of flap. Once that’s done, refit the flap and see if it cures it.
When my car did it, I bought another housing from Volvo and after about a year or so the new one did the same so I modified it as above and it never gave anymore problems. If your problem persists then you’ll need to get the codes read on Vida, it could then be a sensor or some other issue.

If you’ve got the twin inlet throttle housing I’m not sure about those.

Good luck with it.

TT

Last edited by The Thong; Jun 30th, 2018 at 11:43.
The Thong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 00:07   #9
Vanndan

Thank you very much for such a detailed reply. Mines a 55 so most probably the single. It won't do no harm cleaning it all even if it isn't the problem. I did a short trip in it today but kept the car in shade and since I was in a isolated place I propped the bonnet open slightly to what I think helped cool the engine down. I will get to work cleaning it and will post back in here with my results. Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanndan For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 17:49   #10
Vanndan

So I took the throttle body off and looks like I need a whole new one. As one of the flaps is loose, the teeth on it have smoothed off the plastic. It was a the double as well and it's proving difficult to find one within a decent price range
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanndan For This Useful Post: