Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Map Update (again)

Views : 2815

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2019, 11:41   #21
steladamo

Strange thing is that if you opt for the upgrade of a region and not the entire map of Europe, the update takes longer and you should not do it for a short drive. You need to account for over an hour and not to turn off the engine.

When I updated the regional map, it took me three days and it was successful only when I went for a long drive. It seems that every time you stop the car, the update starts over the next time and does not take it on from where you left it.

On the other hand updating the whole of Europe, takes longer to download BUT in the car the update does not take more than 30-40 minutes and the great thing is that when you stop, you can see the percentage that takes over from where you stopped so, next trip the map is loaded and ready to use.

For that reason only I gave up downloading regional maps and go for the whole Europe.
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 09:49   #22
airforced

Interesting theory steladamo. Think I might try that at the next update to try the idea out. Has anyone else experienced this and can comment?
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 14:04   #23
dblogic

I believe the update process (within Sensus) is different for the 2 types.

The regional files are compressed zip files and whilst updating you can continue to use the navigation on the existing maps. I believe it does continue when a journey is broken but only from a previous set point. So if the process is say 4 stages for example and you stop between stage 2 and 3 it will revert back to starting at stage 2 again. Hence depending on journey time it can take quite some time to update. I guess the stages are something like copy zip files, expand zip files, merge files with existing data files into a new copy (as original file is in use), switch files over to live.

With the full download you get a complete set of files and so when updating the navigation is disabled and the files simply copied across so the time is pretty much just the copy time (hence being able to get a percentage complete) and better continue after a journey break as it just starts with the next file.

So despite being a lot less to download the regional update is more complex and takes longer but you do continue to have a working navigation system.

Tags
map, satnav update