Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Parking climate issue

Views : 9495

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2019, 11:56   #1
jonnyu

Default Parking climate issue

On my Volvo On Call App, every time that I try the parking climate feature, it doesn't work.
I read a lot of topics regarding this issue from the XC90 and XC60 models from 2018 and since my car was manufactured on the 5th of December 2018, I was led to believe that any of these issues might have been solved by Volvo.
Still, every time I try the feature it doesn't work.
I have a D4 version and I get on the app the message: "Parking climate failed to start" and on the car I get the message "Parking climate temporarily unavailable".
Any help or suggestion is appreciated.
jonnyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 12:37   #2
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyu View Post
On my Volvo On Call App, every time that I try the parking climate feature, it doesn't work.
I read a lot of topics regarding this issue from the XC90 and XC60 models from 2018 and since my car was manufactured on the 5th of December 2018, I was led to believe that any of these issues might have been solved by Volvo.
Still, every time I try the feature it doesn't work.
I have a D4 version and I get on the app the message: "Parking climate failed to start" and on the car I get the message "Parking climate temporarily unavailable".
Any help or suggestion is appreciated.
This option is only applicable to the Hybrid (T8) models i am afraid.
It caught me out on my 3 month old T5 as well..........
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 12:39   #3
Lexman8
Premier Member

To ask the obvious question, did you specify the auxiliary heater option? If not, Parking Climate on the app won't work.

EDIT: Perhaps the aux heater option is only available on XC90s? My D5 has it.

Last edited by Lexman8; Jan 4th, 2019 at 12:41.
Lexman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 12:52   #4
Lojo

It is standard in T8 but it exists as an option for XC60. I think what changes depending on the market, is whether the heater runs with combustible
Lojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 13:48   #5
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojo View Post
It is standard in T8 but it exists as an option for XC60. I think what changes depending on the market, is whether the heater runs with combustible
It is not an option for the UK market.
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 20:15   #6
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

to be honest I don't know - and I had the same problem on my 2017 S90 D5. I asked the dealer to investigate and they said battery not charged enough, they charged and it worked. But doesn't now - and neither does the star/stop most of the time as I'm not using the car enough to keep the battery full.

I think remote start is supposed to run any heating controls as they were last set, so the parking climate (pre conditioning) does what in addition, I don't know.

I hope that if the option was simply not available in your car the on call app would have it greyed out.
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 09:58   #7
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wildsmith View Post
parking climate (pre conditioning) does what in addition, I don't know.
With the aux heater fitted, pre-conditioning heats up the engine and cabin much more quickly, creates a lot less pollution than running the engine and won't annoy the neighbours as it's very quiet in operation. And even if you don't pre-heat you can set it to come on automatically with the engine so that heat is delivered much more quickly.

Without the aux heater I'm not sure it does anything other than ventilating the car on a hot day by turning on the climate fans. Even that may depend upon the aux heater being fitted despite it not actually being required as such. There used to a software option to enable remote ventilation on cars without the aux heater. I don't know if it's still available. Remote venting is actually quite effective and preferable to using ERS to run the aircon.

Quote:
I hope that if the option was simply not available in your car the on call app would have it greyed out.
You'd think so but apparently not.
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 10:24   #8
MaDProFF
Master Member

I have Parking Climate on my T8 and of course the Aux Heater that works 95% of the time from the app, if the car is plugged in or not.

Sometimes I have to start it twice, as I get low fuel warning message back, as a notification, so just restart it, and it generally works the 2nd time, of course it is dependant on wi fi or phone signal, and possible though not confirmed if you park the car to close to the right hand side of the car like a wall or objects.

It is very efficient, only really needing 5 minutes to warm up the cabin, so far never had to use it out side after car has iced right over etc.

So far even now the options have been added to the app yet to see the seats and steering wheel heat up, but after 5 minutes the car is so warm you do not need seats or steering wheel to be heated.

Down side is I park car in garage, and essentially once it has started you are filling up the garage with fumes, so I have to open the garage door, luckily for me it is on a remote that can be done from the house, but not something I like doing, or would want to do if I lived in a place where all or sundry can see the door open.

I would say it is not that quiet either, in fact quite noisy, but then that does not bother me.

I have not found a button in the car though that will start it will sitting in the car, so if anyone knows how to fire it up when stationary, I use the app which is a little annoying when in the car.

if it is an optional extra assuming not to expensive it is worth every penny this time of the year.
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 11:34   #9
SpaceBoy42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
I have not found a button in the car though that will start it will sitting in the car, so if anyone knows how to fire it up when stationary, I use the app which is a little annoying when in the car.
You can start the Aux heater on the T8 with the engine off by selecting the preconditioning button in the parking climate menu. The heated seats and steering wheel heat also come on as per the checkboxes but the Aux heater will only be activated if it detects the interior temperature below a set threshold (which I think is a fixed 20 degrees - someone can correct me on that figure!). I use this all the time stopped, parked up waiting to pick up my daughter after work waiting in a cold outside car park!
The Following User Says Thank You to SpaceBoy42 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 13:07   #10
roundyuk

Parking climate on anything but a T8 or a vehicle fitted with cabin heater in cold weather will do nothing from the app. When you are inside it will maintain the cabin temperature using residual heat.

Summer months it will vent the cabin with cool air.

If you have the auto seat heat set it wil come on if you remote start, and the fans will attempt to get the cabin temperature up....but in reality the engine will need to run for at least 10 mins minimum to get any heat.
roundyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roundyuk For This Useful Post:

Tags
failure, parking climate, preconditioning