Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacement for V90 R Design - suggestions welcome

Views : 1457

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2019, 21:09   #1
anotherv60
Master Member

Smile Replacement for V90 R Design - suggestions welcome

Hi All,

V90 goes back to the lease company this year so it gives me some time to think about a replacement. Question I’m trying to answer is should I go for my 3rd Volvo in a row (prior to experiencing Volvo I have always changed brands when buying another car). I’m minded to stay with Volvo as this V90 is by far the best car I have ever owned, well leased. If I do stay with Volvo, I must say I like the look of the V60 Cross Country - has anyone taken delivery of one of those or test drove one? The main drawback for me as I see it is that it might be a bit of a shock going to a very similar but smaller vehicle than the V90 so might be safer to go with the V90 cross country, ah decisions, decisions!

I have also been partial to owning a Landrover, I don't know why I don't go off road, but probably if I did go down this route I'd pick the discovery sport, (note, I can’t stand the new discovery) as the discovery sport is about to be replaced, I had a quick look at the Discovery sport forum and it seems everyone other post is how do i reject the car/sue the dealer for misrepresentation or other significant problems with the drivetrain/electrics/paint basically everything, which is somewhat off putting, I haven’t met anyone who has had even minor issues with a landcover so perhaps this will stay as a dream…Also I see now Alfa Romeo offer a 5 year warranty! How the heck can Volvo be only offering 3 years if Alfa can manage 5 years!

Anyway, any other SPA Volvo owners in a similar position thinking about replacing your vehicle with another Volvo or an alternative? Would you sick with Volvo?
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 21:19   #2
SignumGB
XC70 Owner/VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherv60 View Post
Hi All,

V90 goes back to the lease company this year so it gives me some time to think about a replacement. Question I’m trying to answer is should I go for my 3rd Volvo in a row (prior to experiencing Volvo I have always changed brands when buying another car). I’m minded to stay with Volvo as this V90 is by far the best car I have ever owned, well leased. If I do stay with Volvo, I must say I like the look of the V60 Cross Country - has anyone taken delivery of one of those or test drove one? The main drawback for me as I see it is that it might be a bit of a shock going to a very similar but smaller vehicle than the V90 so might be safer to go with the V90 cross country, ah decisions, decisions!

I have also been partial to owning a Landrover, I don't know why I don't go off road, but probably if I did go down this route I'd pick the discovery sport, (note, I can’t stand the new discovery) as the discovery sport is about to be replaced, I had a quick look at the Discovery sport forum and it seems everyone other post is how do i reject the car/sue the dealer for misrepresentation or other significant problems with the drivetrain/electrics/paint basically everything, which is somewhat off putting, I haven’t met anyone who has had even minor issues with a landcover so perhaps this will stay as a dream…Also I see now Alfa Romeo offer a 5 year warranty! How the heck can Volvo be only offering 3 years if Alfa can manage 5 years!

Anyway, any other SPA Volvo owners in a similar position thinking about replacing your vehicle with another Volvo or an alternative? Would you sick with Volvo?
I was Volvo then VW, missed the Volvo and went back again. I did test drive other motors, 5 Series Xdrive and Outback but the XC70 topped the lot. I don't buy new, but looking at the V90 CC, a very sexy motor!

2012 Volvo XC70 3.0L AWD T6 [CAN🍁]
2015 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D4 SE LUX - Sold 78,728 Miles (July 2023) [GB]
2012 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D3 SE LUX - Written off 76,500 Miles (Aug 2017)[GB]
SignumGB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SignumGB For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 22:08   #3
Roosterb

5 Series
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 05:43   #4
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi All,

…Also I see now Alfa Romeo offer a 5 year warranty! How the heck can Volvo be only offering 3 years if Alfa can manage 5 years!

I probably would’t buy a third new car that was basically the same as the previous two. It would be a bit boring.

Warranty length is purely a marketing exercise. You can be sure that the risk of payouts is underwritten by insurance and reinsurance at the company level. It’s cost will be partly offset by the expectation of heightened brand confidence by the consumer, especially if the term exceeds that of most lease deals so that it remains available to the subsequent owner.
Any remaining cost will be built into the purchase price. The lease company may take the view that it enhances residual value and will therefore actually lower the monthly leasing cost somewhat.

It’s all a game.
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 08:09   #5
weemark

Quote:
Hi All,

Well I came from Land Rover, specifically a Disco Sport so can provide a couple of perspectives - worth saying that none of these directly caused me to dump the car after 4 months of ownership, it was a bad buying decision on my part as the driving position was just not quite right for someone of my height. Almost and I thought I could live with it but not quite and chronic backache was the result. Other issues:-

1) Do not even consider buying a current model diesel DS - there is a fundamental flaw in the exhaust/SCRF architecture that WILL cause diesel to be dumped into the engine oil, shortening service intervals (around 10k seems to be the norm) and will have what long-term impact on the engine. JLR get out of this by continuing to blame 'driving style'. This also applies to the Ewok btw. So the only real option is a petrol version and the world of low mpg

2) There's an increasing number of balancer shaft bearing failures, many at low mileages - no idea as yet whether this is related to the oil dilution issue - and the fix seems suspect

3) It's built down to a price/to maximise profit - materials and build quality way below Volvo

4) the dealer network overall seems poor - my dealer was good but that's an exception

5) Trawl through the DS forum and you'll come across countless tales of cars being rejected for a whole host of reasons (the 'Service Interval' thread is particularly lengthy and detailed . I lodged a rejection with my dealer for mis-selling re the service intervals (I needed an oil change within 600 miles of buying the car!) but withdrew that after they agreed to provide free oil changes every 6k miles for as long as I had the car

Plenty more I could say but hope this helps as a start!
weemark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weemark For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 08:41   #6
taylora

I've been thinking the same, what shall I replace my V90 D4 with and I'm coming to the conclusion that I'll maybe go for a V90 T4.

Looked at a few cars, Audi A4 Avant, Skoda Octavia VRS and Superb, Golf GTI...none of them have the same level of tech and driver assistance as standard kit that the V90 does.

So V90 T4 I think it will be.
The Following User Says Thank You to taylora For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 09:24   #7
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

I would stick with Volvo

If you like the V90 cc then go for it. There are some good deals on them at the moment. If you take the zero percent finance then you can get pretty much 20 percent off list at the moment.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 15:58   #8
volvocat

Very impressed with my V90CC - fully loaded D5 Pro - so I plan to stick with Volvo when the time comes.
It will almost certainly be the same again, but probably a T6 - not just for emmissions/restrictions in cities etc (fortunately I don’t have to go to big built-up areas very often) but for the performance - and to have something different but the same for practical reasons - plus, I don’t do the miles I used to.
If you like your V90, and assuming your requirements haven’t changed, be wary of downsizing to a V60 because you might miss the space.
Having had plenty of XC70s, we knew what suited our needs - big estate, slightly higher than ‘normal’, but an SUV is too tall - so the V90CC was the logical choice.
But it is a little smaller in the back than a ‘70 and, to start with, on occasion, we did notice it. Although we’ve now got used to it, I would not have wanted to go any smaller, which ruled out the V60, lovely though it is!
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvocat For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 16:33   #9
Crockers
Premier Member

I think an XC60 feels more like a CC than an XC. And better for it. Try one.
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 21:25   #10
Haldex
Premier Member

Or the new, sexy V60CC?..

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Haldex For This Useful Post: