Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon Estate Rolling Project

Views : 70065

Replies : 599

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 11th, 2011, 12:36   #51
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

If there was a manual for tuning the B20 that would make life much easier, do XYZ and you will get ABC power. But there isn't so will see how things go. There will be a bit of a restriction remaining at the bend in the manifold so hopefully that will help keep the mixture in the head when the valve closes as Derek suggested. But the inlet manifold outlet will be slightly smaller than the inlet for the head, this will allow flow better into the head and create a little turbulance for the mixture and as suggested help keep the mixture in the head also when the valve shuts. I hope to do a dyno at the end of my build and if I can get a hold of another inlet manifold will hopefully do a comparison.

Last edited by Burdekin; May 11th, 2011 at 12:48.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 20:55   #52
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

That's the inlet manifold porting finished. Happy how it's turned out and the sizing differences between each one is only slight. I still need to give the flange faces a slight tidy up and will give the manifold a paint. The runner exits are 39mm.

Also a pic of one of the carbs after it was cleaned in the ultrasonic cleaning bath at work for 1 1/2hrs. It came up okay but I'll give it a clean with white spirit, wee polish and oil the steel parts. Darren is going to send the head up tomorrow so hopefully it will arrive on Saturday and I'll do some porting on that. The plan was to do the carbs but after the port and polish we still need to get the valve guides in so the head takes priority. The engine build starts on the 3rd of June so need to get everything sorted by then and have the engine ready to be assembled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0176.jpg (333.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0181.jpg (230.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0174.jpg (327.2 KB, 44 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2011, 21:35   #53
940_Turbo

Are you not using the fire rings twixt manifold and head?
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 21:47   #54
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Hi Peter,

Just the standard gasket with an E head and the ali inlet manifold so no step in the intake ports if that is what you mean?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0184.jpg (303.2 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Burdekin; May 12th, 2011 at 21:56.
Old May 14th, 2011, 20:22   #55
tdz840
VOC Member

Mitch
I think Peter was referring to the small rings which fit in the step between head and manifold on the inlet side. I dont have any pics to hand but have some spare somewhere which I can show installed in a head.
I believe you are highlighting the small ridge between the manifolds/heads/carbs meaning in direction of flow the upstream outlet should be smaller than downstream inlet (but only slightly).
Have you pegged the head; that is install small pegs which locate in tight fitting holes in the manifolds and ensures when your checking the material you remove from the head/mainfold you also locate both in the same positions. The provide no securing function only location whilst you fettle the head
Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 22:23   #56
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Thanks Russ. The E head doesn't have the rings. Darren was in the machine shop and they said they have a good guy who ports heads so he's going to do it for me. Been doing the carbs today, most of the time spent is getting the carb spotless. Will post some pics tomorrow night.
Old May 15th, 2011, 18:47   #57
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I did up my twin carbs on the weekend, first time I've rebuilt SU carbs. The job involved lots of cleaning and buffing mainly. I thought they looked good but still look a little scruffy in the close up pics. One annoying thing was that the new spindles don't come with a drilled end for the linkage adaptor, so I had to drill the holes. It was a bit tricky as I have only a bench drill at work I could use and getting the angle spot on was a bit of a pain. One is spot on and the other is a little out so not sure if I can adjust the linkage to accommodate or whether it needs doing again. You can see what I'm talking about in the last two pics. The linkage adaptor should be horizontal, one is and the other is a little high. Does anyone know if you can just but the spindles with the hole drilled in the end for the linkage?

I set the float clearance to just over 3mm and centred the needle in the jet. I've attached a pic showing the needle in the jet tube housing and how it looks off centre but the tube is also off. So all you need to do is loosen the tube nut a little, slide in the jet and move the tube until the piston slides down with a nice clunk at the bottom, then just tighten the nut and assemble the jet. Check that it stills slides down with a nice clunk and Bobs your uncle. The little bearings that attach to the bottom of the arm connected to the jet could come out of their housing meaning when the arm tried to pull or push the jet it seemed to drop out of alignment. So I took the arms off two other SU carbs I have and used them. However some bright spark had twisted one of the arms for some reason, so I straightened it and it fitted spot on and the throttle and jet work perfect. So don't try and twist the arm to fit, the way it is made is correct.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0189.jpg (184.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0197.jpg (208.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0206.jpg (264.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0207.jpg (191.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0208.jpg (217.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0209.jpg (240.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0210.jpg (217.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0211.jpg (226.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0212.jpg (218.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0215.jpg (235.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0216.jpg (190.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0219.jpg (260.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0221.jpg (223.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0223.jpg (190.5 KB, 38 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2011, 23:30   #58
Derek UK
VOC Member

How are the new spindles in the old bushes? Did you get lucky and find that only the spindles had worn?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 06:31   #59
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Hi Derek,

Yes got luck, they've either been rebushed before or are the later models that came already bushed. The spindles were worn on one half mainly so probably would have passed air causing problems at idle but no movement with the new spindles so that is a lucky result.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 15:48   #60
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Just off the phone to the resto guy and the bodywork is finished and he’s primed the car. He’s not sure about the colour that he's got so my Mrs, the chief mechanic and me are going to drive up tonight to check it out, very exciting and he hasn’t mucked about it doing the body work as he really only started 3 weeks ago.

Darren (mainly Darren) and I have rebuilt the engine, just waiting on longer push rods to be delivered from KG as the ones I had were too short by 4mm. I will finish the engine this weekend as long as the push rods are done and will paint it all up.

Will post pics and give a better update on everything soon.