Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Coming from BMW - slight reservation with 2.0 D5 Engine

Views : 1750

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 20th, 2018, 09:10   #1
Phil117

Default Coming from BMW - slight reservation with 2.0 D5 Engine

Hi all,

After a long search to replaced the current BMW 530d, I've pretty much decided on XC90.

I'd be looking to get an Inscription Pro with Xenium and B&W. I'd of preferred an R-Design in Blue, but lack of white leather puts me off as that's what I'd pick. Find black leather making the cabin feel so dark and less appealing, although Pan Roof might make a big difference.

In any case, my only nagging doubt is the fact the D5 is just a 2.0L. Coming from a 3.0 6cylinder, I can't help thinking the car will be found wanting. As it's a big heavy vehicle, I'm worried about long term as the D5 must work harder than if there was a 3.0 option. There is also the likelihood of towing a motorcycle trailer down to France once a year with two heavy R1200GS's on the back which adds to this weight.

Have any owners who have made the jump to downsizing engine size any experience?

On a side note of just being lazy and not searching through the forum, what are your long term fuel economy. I'm a 20k+ per annum user featuring 2-3 trips to France so a lot of motorway trips are on the cards.
Phil117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 10:17   #2
spudmaster
Brand new to Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil117 View Post
Hi all,

After a long search to replaced the current BMW 530d, I've pretty much decided on XC90.

I'd be looking to get an Inscription Pro with Xenium and B&W. I'd of preferred an R-Design in Blue, but lack of white leather puts me off as that's what I'd pick. Find black leather making the cabin feel so dark and less appealing, although Pan Roof might make a big difference.

In any case, my only nagging doubt is the fact the D5 is just a 2.0L. Coming from a 3.0 6cylinder, I can't help thinking the car will be found wanting. As it's a big heavy vehicle, I'm worried about long term as the D5 must work harder than if there was a 3.0 option. There is also the likelihood of towing a motorcycle trailer down to France once a year with two heavy R1200GS's on the back which adds to this weight.

Have any owners who have made the jump to downsizing engine size any experience?

On a side note of just being lazy and not searching through the forum, what are your long term fuel economy. I'm a 20k+ per annum user featuring 2-3 trips to France so a lot of motorway trips are on the cards.
I have recently gone from a 5 Series (though only 520D) to a D5 Power-Pulse, albeit in a V90 Cross-Country. In summary, I find there is plenty of power & torque. When cold, the engine is very agricultiural- but it soon warms up; whereupon I would say that it is a much more refined drive than the 520D ever was. However, that is 4 cylinder vs 4 cylinder- so will probably be different coming from a 530.

Having said that, you are looking to get B&W; which I also have. It is a fantastic system; and if you have it turned up you cannot hear that you are driving a 4 cylinder.... Given the relatively hefty power outputs, it 'almost' drives like a 6 cylinder!

Economy-wise, I am averaging c. 33mpg- across mainly A & B road driving. However, on a good motorway run, you will get 40+. This is about 8mpg less than the BMW; and I am actually quite disappointed as I too am doing 20k+. Fag-packet calculation suggests £600+ p.a. in fuel...

The CC is a heavy car, though probably still a bit lighter than the XC90. It is a real shame that Volvo dropped 5 & 6 cylinder engines; as a V6 would suit the car perfectly. It wouldn't need to work so hard, so I suspect there would be no detrimental impact on MPG...

Overall though, I am really pleased with the car. It looks great, is very capable and can actually be hustled rather well when put in dynamic mode. The interior is so different to BMW that you almost cannot compare- but it is a wonderful place to spend time- (especially with B&W cranked up!).
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 10:40   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi all,

You wont be disappointed with the D5 performance or pulling power, you will not even notice your trailer and bikes on the back, I tow a very heavy caravan with loads of heavy gear and I can honestly say my XC90 D5 is the easiest car I have towed with and has loads of power in hand.
Like you the dark interior and roof lining of the R design put me off it and I do not like the sports style seats as they scuff over time, and at the time there were options you could not get with it like the heated steering wheel, so I went for the inscription with blond nappa leather and fully loaded it
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 12:06   #4
Deman77
Master Member

It’s a good engine for 2.0l diesel, especially the power pulse system but you will definitely not get the smoothness of six cylinder nor the pulling power. Add the extra 400 odd kilos of weight to lug around. It will not be in the same league but it’s good for a four cylinder. Also xc90s aisin gearboxes have this hesitation with shifting down that you will need to get used to or adjust your driving style.
It’s not an ultimate driving machine - but this is not what xc90 is about. It will do the job in the utility department, the boot will swallow up a cow and it’s really nice car to be in provided you stick to the right specs.
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 12:18   #5
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
It’s a good engine for 2.0l diesel, especially the power pulse system but you will definitely not get the smoothness of six cylinder nor the pulling power. Add the extra 400 odd kilos of weight to lug around. It will not be in the same league but it’s good for a four cylinder. Also xc90s aisin gearboxes have this hesitation with shifting down that you will need to get used to or adjust your driving style.
It’s not an ultimate driving machine - but this is not what xc90 is about. It will do the job in the utility department, the boot will swallow up a cow and it’s really nice car to be in provided you stick to the right specs.
I think this pretty much sums it up perfectly. Its not a bad engine, but doesn't have the grunt or smoothness that you would get from a BMW 6 cylinder. We came from a 2007 Audi A6 3.0TDI via a 2008 BMW X5 35d to the XC90 D5. The engines in both the Audi and BMW had more grunt and sounded less strained under harder acceleration.

There are compromises, but with the Volvo you get something a little bit different, and in my mind they are a nicer place to be both inside and outside.

I know everyone says you can pull no problems with an XC90, but the ultimate towing capacity on the D5 I believe is still 800Kg down on a 6 cylinder X5, Q7 or Disco.

In my mind, the D5, while not intrinsically a bad engine, is the weakest link of an XC90 D5, and one you'll note all the more coming from a BMW 6 cylinder.

Ask for an extended test drive.

:wq
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 12:58   #6
nu11eaf
Premier Member

When towing the safe margin is 85% of the vehicle weight, 1788kg for the XC90 and 1815kg for the Q7, 1857kg for the X5, on paper you may get a 3500kg towing weight on the other SUV's but you would never be able to practically tow that weight.
Even my landrover defender TD5 with 3500kg tow limit wont pull that in normal road towing, it would need to be in low range on the gearbox and very slow. The XC90 is a far, far better tow car.
The XC90 engine is by no means a refined smooth engine and a 2ltr 4 potter can never match a 6 cylinder 3ltr for smoothness and refinement but its no slouch and pulls like a train when towing.
Overall the XC90 is a very practical SUV, more practical than the X5 and a lot less expensive than the Q7 spec for spec. The Landrover Discovery is another option if you like the style and opt for the bigger engine. But over the top off road bias for most peoples needs.
In my mind the XC90 would be better with a bigger engine but only for refinement as the 2ltr has enough power and is the most practical SUV for the price for a family and road use.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 13:08   #7
Oop north

When I tested an xc90 I found the engine a bit “meh” in terms of character but enough pulling power (didn’t use it to tow though) and ended up buying a discovery 4 with 3.0 - hated the tyre noise. Recently had a merc gle for a couple of weeks with 250d engine which was much worse than meh, and too weedy even with just me in. So I think the Volvo 4 cylinder diesel is better than merc 4 cyl (though that was the hideous 2.1 version), but not as good as 6 cylinders will be. Only you can decide whether the Volvo 4 cylinders will be acceptable. I am going to have another test later this year to see if the xc90 works ok for me now
Oop north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 13:36   #8
chrisfr

I have an xc60 2016 with a d5 but in 2.4(220) geartronic form. I tried the 2.0 but preferred the 2.4 as i felt it didnt seem to go through the gears as much.
It depends on the year of car you are looking for as newer ones have powerpulse etc ( which i havent tried so i cannot comment on) but i don't find its performance too shabby, but is also tame enough for town use. The stop start is a bit of a pain somtimes as it cuts out when you are trying to park the car, but you can deselect it.I try not to do too many short journeys as the dpf can apparently be an issue on them sometimes in colder weather.
If you have a smooth driving style the volvo gear changes wont seem as strange if you are used to the crisp performance of a german car, but there is the geartronic which seems to work fine if you want manual.
The main thing is if its used try to make sure its been serviced on time using volvo parts, wether dealer or non franchise.
chrisfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 14:28   #9
reggie59

Quote:
Hi all,

The 3 litre BMW is a gem. The volvo 4 pots is less refined than BMW 4 cylinders.. auto express last month... So of course you will be disappointed. But you are buying the XC90 for other reasons.. space, comfort, security, 7 seats... If not ... Then stay with BMW 3.0d
reggie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to reggie59 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 16:14   #10
pagan8c
Master Member

I used my XC90 to tow a caravan of 1550kgs and it never seemed to struggle with the extra weight. Also with the Volvo factory fit towbar it was very stable as it has a trailer assist programme etc. It is probably a bit noisier than a 3 litre under power but when cruising is very smooth and quiet.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pagan8c For This Useful Post: