Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Power Steering rack leaking

Views : 805

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 7th, 2023, 13:50   #1
stevepcar
Steve

Default Power Steering rack leaking

I have a 1995 Manual 850 and the steering rack is leaking quite badly. I have read on the forum of many people having success with Lucas & Molyslip products to stop leaks. Also it is possible to buy repair kits, but is this a job for the home mechanic? Alternatively I was considering an exchange unit from Lion Automotive in Wakefield. Has anybody else tried their reconditioned racks & are they of good quality? If not can anybody suggest a better company. All advice welcome.
stevepcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2023, 14:41   #2
Baffler
Premier Member

Assuming the seals are intact the Lucas Rack & Pinion Stop Leak is probably the best product available. You could try filling the system with just the Stop Leak and see if it cures it.

Failing that I think RudiDudi recommended this company in the past:

Kiley - Clinton Engineering Ltd., Birmingham ( https://steering-racks.co.uk/ )

I have no direct experience with them.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2023, 17:03   #3
stevepcar
Steve

Default Leaking Steering Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
Assuming the seals are intact the Lucas Rack & Pinion Stop Leak is probably the best product available. You could try filling the system with just the Stop Leak and see if it cures it.

Failing that I think RudiDudi recommended this company in the past:

Kiley - Clinton Engineering Ltd., Birmingham ( https://steering-racks.co.uk/ )

I have no direct experience with them.
Thanks Baffler. I have just bought some of that Lucas stuff, so I will do as you suggest & replace the whole system with it & see if that works. I will post my results
stevepcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevepcar For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2023, 12:03   #4
El Padrino

I tried Wynns stop leak but I think the leak on my steering rack is too far gone on my car, so have booked her in to get it reconditioned via my indy. The indy said the place he uses reconditions them to factory standard. We shall see. I'll find out who he uses.
El Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to El Padrino For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2023, 04:54   #5
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Suspect more than a few of us would be interested in who your indy uses.

I have 4 x cores here all leaking and have found this outfit willing to buy them from me to recondition:

Synergy Automotive Parts Ltd
Christopher Smith
Unit 8, Pembroke Business Centre
Gardiners Lane South
Basildon
Essex
SS14 3HY

I have no experience of their finished article.

I used Lucas. All the stop-leaks work to a point, provided they're not bad in the first place. It's just thicker goop, no miracle.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jun 21st, 2023 at 04:57.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2023, 13:10   #6
Lexicon
Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Padrino View Post
I tried Wynns stop leak but I think the leak on my steering rack is too far gone on my car, so have booked her in to get it reconditioned via my indy. The indy said the place he uses reconditions them to factory standard. We shall see. I'll find out who he uses.
Hi El Padrino, how did the steering rack remanufacture go?

Mine is also leaking quite badly and my indy is struggling to find a place that'll take on the job. I had found Kiley-Clinton online (who Baffler mentioned above) but was hoping to find a place that had been recommended by another P80 owner.
Old Dec 21st, 2023, 16:49   #7
El Padrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
Hi El Padrino, how did the steering rack remanufacture go?

Mine is also leaking quite badly and my indy is struggling to find a place that'll take on the job. I had found Kiley-Clinton online (who Baffler mentioned above) but was hoping to find a place that had been recommended by another P80 owner.
Hi Lexicon. It was originally refurbished via the indy I use back in the summer and I'm sure they said they used https://steering-racks.co.uk/ too. I noticed my steering fluid was low and needed topping up. Took it back to the indy and they found the pinion seal was leaking. As it was under guarantee, another rack was sourced and refurbished. I guess my original rack was too far gone. All seems OK now, just need to keep an eye on the fluid level, but have been assured it's all good now.

Hope that helps and you get yours resolved too.
El Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote