Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 740 Trivia.

Views : 14425

Replies : 230

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 25th, 2018, 12:48   #161
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That's better! Good looking car, strange intake arrangement though!

That's the carburettor (B230K), just like my three !

Also looks like it's been debadged and as a general observation, looks very "70's with a hint that it's dragging itself into the 80's" - the 14" steel wheels with hub caps, high profile tyres, the stripey cloth trim, push-button analogue tuned, spindle-mount radio, the very basic heater controls etc.
The steel wheels and hubcaps, just like mine, were fitted only for about 18 months and only on 74XGLs, ditto the striped cloth (same as my v.early 745). Dealers sometimes fitted chrome trim rings. Tyres ? 185/70 x 14, great for today's potholed roads !

J.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 13:49   #162
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

My first 745GLEa had 185/70/14s on it Jon, tan moo-cow on the seats though and the 7-seater conversion. Handy with three squabbling kids!

Unfortunately, putting 2 of them in the back as punishment for fighting with their sister backfired as they saw it as a treat! Recalibrate negotiation skills - "You can only go in the back if you're good"!

Before i thought of using the rear seat (or in a car that didn't have it), if they fell asleep because they'd worn themselves out bickering, i had to ask the wife if they'd fallen asleep - i was getting worried about the sudden apparent deafness!

Seems odd though that Volvo launched almost the whole range with steel wheels and swapped to alloys so soon after, that said most other manufacturers of the time were doing similar. When Vauxhall launched the Mk2 Cavalier in 1982, the only model with alloys was the GLS, then a year or two later the SR came along with alloys, then the SRi then the GL sprouted alloys as standard a year or two after that. Ford did similar with the "Jelly-Mould" as it was originally nicknamed and its "Moon Disc" wheel trims on steel wheels except for the Ghia (although i think that also had plastic trims on steelies originally) and slowly alloys percolated down through the range.

Those are just two other examples of how things were as regards standard fit wheels back then, these days it's hard to find a car that doesn't have alloys as standard, even the entry level models!

Come to think of it, most other manufacturers were doing similar things with the trim and so on, it just stands out on that red Volvo, maybe because it's in a "time warp" condition.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 13:57   #163
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
The steel wheels and hubcaps, just like mine, were fitted only for about 18 months and only on 74XGLs, ditto the striped cloth (same as my v.early 745). Dealers sometimes fitted chrome trim rings. Tyres ? 185/70 x 14, great for today's potholed roads !

J.
The second 7 series car that I bought was a 744 GLE, Jon, registered C 24 GVM on May 1st., 1986. The car had steel wheels and a beige pin-stripe cloth interior. En passant, it also had electric front, but not rear, windows and a manual sun-roof. As previously mentioned, it also had an after-market high-level brake-light.

I acquired the car on June 1st., 1998, at 113232 miles for £1095 as a business tool. I sold it less than three years later for £375 having put very nearly 80 thousand miles on the clock. It did much to affirm my high regard for these cars. If the one that you referenced had been an automatic and I had appropriate garaging facilities, I would be seriously tempted!

Regards, John.
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 14:43   #164
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
My first 745GLEa had 185/70/14s on it Jon,...
Yes Dave, both GLs and GLEs had 14" wheels as standard, 15" Rigels were an option on GLEs.

Then 15" wheels were standardised with the introduction of the SE...might have crept in on the last of the GLs with the 2.0 litre engine. 15" standard on the 74X Turbo and 76Xs of course.

J.
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 14:46   #165
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
The second 7 series car that I bought was a 744 GLE, Jon, registered C 24 GVM on May 1st., 1986. The car had steel wheels and a beige pin-stripe cloth interior. En passant, it also had electric front, but not rear, windows and a manual sun-roof. As previously mentioned, it also had an after-market high-level brake-light.Regards, John.
Being an early GLE (B230k) it would have had the full coverage bright wheel trims, and electric roof operation was an option. Brake light was a retro fit.

My 1986 C plate 744 GLa has beige (Trico Plush) pinstripe cloth.

J.
Old Jun 29th, 2018, 15:20   #166
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Here's some proper trivia taken from https://www.carthrottle.com/post/w8mreom...

Bricked In - 1983 Volvo 760 Turbo Group A Prototype

Over the years the deadly serious Swedes had churned out one thick steel box after another, each one bigger, comfier and safer than the last. Because of this their image around the world profiled them as a maker of sturdy, dependable, safe, spacious, no-nonsense and vaguely beige sedans and wagons for well paid, intelligent and incredibly boring people.

Although this was by no means a terrible image to have, Volvo was beginning to get fed up with the inane dustiness of it. The company wanted to move away from the “doctor's car” label and into the hearts and minds of fans of speed, power and excitement. Naturally, the recently announced Group A touring car category presented an ideal opportunity to do just that in a big way.

Volvo decided the 760 land-yacht would be their best bet at conquering Group A.

Volvo hadn't seen a factory supported international racing program since the 1960's, when the 123GT Amazon carried out its successful assault on the European rally stage. As such the company had little to no experience in the frantic world of touring car racing. This relative lack of know-how resulted in open minds, fresh views, and possibly mild temporary insanity.

Seemingly against all better judgement, Volvo selected the enormous 760 Turbo sedan as their weapon of choice. Although this decision looked like a questionable idea at best, Volvo could easily rationalize it. The 760 was to be the company's luxury flagship, breaking new ground into a higher market segment Volvo hadn't been associated with before.

As their bona fide halo car and the replacement for their popular 240-series, the 700-series was a very logical attempt at a two pronged attack. Hopefully, the car would instantaneously make the brand both more sporty and more prestigious. But meticulous and sensible as they were, the Swedes simultaneously developed a racing version of the smaller 240.

Volvo's first turbocharged and intercooled B21ET engine.

Volvo's first turbocharged and intercooled B21ET engine.
A major key in the development of the new racer was the engine. Volvo had been hard at work designing a turbocharged ánd intercooled version of their famed four cylinder powerplant, which would elevate the 760 to the performance level it needed to compete with the dreaded German luxury contingent. On the street the 2.3L B23ET version released an impressive 173 horsepower, more than enough to give a contemporary Corvette a good pants-wetting scare.

For the racing version Volvo opted to use a smaller B21ET 2.1L unit. In Group A turbocharged engines were subject to an equivalency formula, which made it easier for naturally aspirated engine designs to compete. This factor was set at x1.4, meaning the stock 2.3L displacement would have been multiplied to 3.22L. Because this would only just break the 3.0L limit, the car would have been forced to carry more weight. With the smaller 2.1L block the total would be 2.94, neatly settling into the 3.0L category. With the parameters set the engine was given a complete overhaul. The engineering team's long hours paid off however, resulting in a very healthy 310 horsepower. This extra grunt would be provided to the rear wheels by a Getrag M51 5-speed manual gearbox.

The aggressive aero pack would have been standard on the road car.

The aggressive aero pack would have been standard on the road car.
Naturally the 760's shell was completely stripped of its lavish interior fittings, and fitted with a very impractical sidepipe exiting in front of the right rear wheel. This wheels were, for the time, massive 18 inch examples, made as wide as the rules would allow. The only limiting factor in this was the available space inside the stock wheel well. An FIA-ban on big wheel arch extensions prevented the use of the overblown slabs of rubber seen in the 1970's.

Additionally Volvo's engineers worked to faintly improve the big black brick's aerodynamic properties. At the front a big air-dam provided a modicum of downforce at the front and supplied cold air to the brakes. At the back, a large distinctive spoiler supported by two struts was found. It received incoming air directed to it be a carefully sculpted roof spoiler. Due to Group A's incredibly strict homologation regime, the car would have to be sold in exactly this body style, because the racing car was not allowed to deviate from the production car. This meant 2500 clueless doctors, accountants, teachers and dentists would have to buy a proper civilized Volvo with a spectacularly vulgar aero pack.

Eje Elge testing the 760 Turbo in front of Volvo's top management.

The finished car was then given to Japanese F3000 racer Eje Elgh (SWE) and dedicated Volvo Motorsport driver Ulf Granberg (SWE) to test its capabilities. Elgh and Granberg diligently racked up the miles with the car, gaining more and more confidence in it. For all intents and purposes, the 760 was doing rather well. There was however one small but very annoying problem, the pesky old 240.

Ulf Granberg during testing.

Like any annoying older brother, everything the 760 could do, the 240 could do better. It accelerated faster, braked later, cornered more neutrally and was easier on brakes and tires. A big part of this was one major issue: weight. Simply put, the 760 had too much of it. In stock form, the 760 Turbo weighed a substantial 1325 kg (2921 lbs). The 240 on the other hand tipped the scales at 1280 (2821). The extra weight was one of many flaws inherent in its luxo-barge design. Aside from being heavier, the 760's body was also far less rigid. The 240 was a two-door model, which was simply far stiffer than the 760's four door design.

Another disadvantage of the 760 was its sheer size. A longer and wider car worked great on the long straights of Spa Francorchamps or Le Mans, but on the predominantly tight and twisty touring car circuits its was severely handicapped. As testing progressed it was becoming increasingly apparent the big brick was losing out to its predecessor, which was also still selling strong. Conceding its defeat, Volvo put a stop to the 760 Turbo's development, and decided to enter the 240 Turbo instead.

With that conclusion the 760 Turbo was robbed of its chance to compete, as its smaller sibling went to take all the honors. Still, like any good Volvo, the car refused to die in spirit. Five years after its rejection and three years after the 240T's 1985 ETCC title win, Belgian privateers VTR were championing a surprise revival of the angular turbo titan.

Promotional photo of the VTR 760 Turbo.

The team even petitioned Volvo to produce an evolution version using the newer B204FT 16-valve engine. The exclusively Italian-market design was needed because the FIA had upped the displacement equivalency formula from x1.4 to x1.7. This would have made the original 2.1L block have an effective displacement of 3.57 liters, again forcing it to carry more weight for breaking the 3.0L barrier. The smaller displacement Italian 2L engine would handily circumvent the weight penalty.

Not content with simply replacing the engine, VTR went on to make a sizable wish list. They proposed a new Getrag gearbox, an independent multi-link rear axle, a different rear wing, upgraded rear and front suspension, uprated turbo, exhaust manifold and an F1-style flat floor.

VTR's 760 Turbo picked up were Volvo left off in the most beige place of all, Belgium.

Sadly Volvo was less than enthusiastic about the Belgian plans, and refused to cooperate. But VTR remained determined to give the big square a chance. The team resorted to homologating the car on a national level, which did not require big production figures.

Eventually, the VTR 760 grew to become a winner in the Belgian Touring Car Championship. In a neutered, low budget form the stubborn machine had still managed to prove its worth. The car remained in the BTCC until the demise of Group A in 1992.

The Volvo 760 Turbo was a big brick trying to fly through a small window. It represented all of Volvo's hopes and aspirations of expanding their brand to new heights, but sadly fell short in doing so. Its sheer size, weight and practical but flimsy body simply left it without a fighting chance against its older brother. Initially the 700-series was meant to replace the ageing 200-series, but the older tank's inexplicable continued popularity eventually lead to it outliving its younger sibling by a full year.

The 760 Turbo at Volvo's Gothenburg museum.

After its lost battle against the 240T, the 760 Turbo Prototype became a permanent exhibit at Volvo's Gothenburg museum. It remains there to this day, plotting its revenge against that blasted older brother in silent frustration.
Old Jun 29th, 2018, 15:25   #167
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Excellent post, was aware Carl, but thanks for posting - food for modified 700 thoughts !

J.

Last edited by Prufrock; Jun 29th, 2018 at 15:29.
Old Jun 29th, 2018, 21:31   #168
volvo always
Premier Member

Good read and great pictures thanks

Was it the 850 next that changed Volvos image with the 850T5 and T5R?

James.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2018, 21:56   #169
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
Good read and great pictures thanks

Was it the 850 next that changed Volvos image with the 850T5 and T5R?

James.
As a matter purely of opinion James, i'd say it was - especially the ones covered in Battenburgs with disco lights and noisy things under the bonnets, i don't mean engines either!

That's actually a model, i couldn't find any pics of the "real" 850 T5R with the Battenburgs, just the "jam sandwich" stripe.

The T5R was used by many Police forces because of its handling, speed and agility and i think had several motorsport successes.

There was a saying among Ford management in the USA during the 60s, the "Muscle Car Era" that was along the lines of "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" because it was true. Ford at the time were heavily involved in motorsport in the states and most races were held on Sundays - if they won the sales would go up on the Mondays.

I'm fairly sure this happened for Volvo with the 850, there certainly sees to be a lot of them around.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2018, 22:26   #170
volvo always
Premier Member

Yes, very popular with police forces in the day. Don't see any Volvo police cars in my area. Seems Audi, bmw, Vauxhall more popular.

James.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post: