Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 740 Trivia.

Views : 14448

Replies : 230

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2018, 15:21   #181
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Default Scrappage scandal.

[QUOTE=AllHailKingVolvo;2431215I wonder how many old Volvos are sitting in the holding pen full of scrappage scheme cars in Folkestone or wherever it is...?[/QUOTE]

It is a scandal, but not in Folkestone, they're on a site in the Home Counties. Apparently many have been stripped for spares.

Jon.

Last edited by Prufrock; Jul 30th, 2018 at 17:42. Reason: typo
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 18:11   #182
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
It is a scandal, but not in Folkestone, they're on a site in the Home Counties. Apparently many have been stripped for spares.

Jon.
Indeed...a great shame. I had a sniff around on google, lots of interesting pics online taken by urban explorer types, no Volvos in evidence but lots of other great cars gathering dust and moss.
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 19:16   #183
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Tony B. Liar aka Tony Blair has a lot to answer for!

First he announces in 1998 we would become a "service industry" country destroying the manufacturing industry in a matter of a few words and then he scraps all our classics!

Granted not all of them but a large proportion of them. Now as has been pointed out by many and brought to our attention again by Jon, we can see it in his link earlier that now seems to have disappeared?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 07:46   #184
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Tony B. Liar aka Tony Blair has a lot to answer for!

First he announces in 1998 we would become a "service industry" country destroying the manufacturing industry in a matter of a few words and then he scraps all our classics!

Granted not all of them but a large proportion of them. Now as has been pointed out by many and brought to our attention again by Jon, we can see it in his link earlier that now seems to have disappeared?
Not fair to lay all British manufacturing's woes at Tony Blair's door Dave, anyway the link has returned -

https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/thread...april15.95528/

J.
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 08:33   #185
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Not fair to lay all British manufacturing's woes at Tony Blair's door Dave, anyway the link has returned -

https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/thread...april15.95528/

J.
Maybe not all the woes Jon, but with those words in 1998 he scuppered any hope for what was left of British manufacturing.

I agree successive governments before his tenure of Number 10 hadn't helped, when Maggie started buying coal from Russia because it was cheaper than mining our own (especially with Scargill and all his strikes) she paved the way for a change of attitude about quality and cost.

This is again reflected in the Scrappage Scheme - that and the national obsession with having the latest reg letter on the number plate........

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 09:14   #186
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Default Off topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Maybe not all the woes Jon, but with those words in 1998 he scuppered any hope for what was left of British manufacturing.
Manufacturing was flatlining in the years before the Labour landslide, the rise of Sterling didn't help and neither did a lack of investment, particularly in R&D. Now the UK has become a very attractive place for Foreign Direct Industrial Investment this is why so many British firms are now foreign owned.

And we will be paying the ultimate price for this.

J.
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 09:48   #187
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Manufacturing was flatlining in the years before the Labour landslide, the rise of Sterling didn't help and neither did a lack of investment, particularly in R&D. Now the UK has become a very attractive place for Foreign Direct Industrial Investment this is why so many British firms are now foreign owned.

J.
It was indeed Jon, as i suggested in my last post, previous successive governments hadn't helped.

A person who was minded to consider conspiracy theories could easily formulate a theory that various Prime Ministers since WW II had slowly but surely sold the country out to the Europeans.

I was recently on Google Streetview taking a trip down Memory Lane and looked at where i did my apprenticeship, then one of the foremost semiconductor houses in Europe with a healthy R&D dept (the CD system as we know it now was developed there) and now there is nothing left of the company i worked for.
Something i found ironic is where the Building Section was (where prototypes, test-beds, bespoke items and similar were made) is now a Builders Merchants but that aside, it shows the lack of investment in this country and the loss of manufacturing.

Old Jul 31st, 2018, 10:02   #188
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:

J.
Off topic, Jon, but not irrelevant. I have seen this many times in my working life. It was epitomised, in my view, by the large struggling hosiery manufacturer that sold its plant and equipment to an overseas concern and then bought back the products because it was cheaper that way. What a waste!

Regards, John.
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 10:08   #189
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

You can see my Volvo buys British signature ? This was a sticker found in the bookpack of many a Volvo in the late 70s through to the mid 1980s.

Imagine if it were true today, and how that relationship might be in jeopardy ? Volvo made their purchases from British manufacturing companies back then because they were buying the best (I'm paraphrasing Volvo here) - the majority of those British companies no longer exist.

I'm old enough to remember the Buy British campaigns, I might have been a schoolboy but I remember, I remember (paraphrasing Orwell now).

Discuss.

Jon.

Last edited by Prufrock; Jul 31st, 2018 at 10:17. Reason: deleted Orwell quote - not at all relevant.
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 10:40   #190
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
You can see my Volvo buys British signature ? This was a sticker found in the bookpack of many a Volvo in the late 70s through to the mid 1980s.

Imagine if it were true today, and how that relationship might be in jeopardy ? Volvo made their purchases from British manufacturing companies back then because they were buying the best (I'm paraphrasing Volvo here) - the majority of those British companies no longer exist.

I'm old enough to remember the Buy British campaigns, I might have been a schoolboy but I remember, I remember (paraphrasing Orwell now).

Discuss.

Jon.
That was the thing Jon - back then we were the best at manufacturing. We led the world in technological innovation and umpteen other areas but, as had previously happened so many times, anything new that was developed here had scorn poured upon it and the inventors then took their ideas elsewhere.

At least Volvo had the sense to Buy British and it shows with how many 70s, 80s and 90s Volvos still around.