Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Respray

Views : 5319

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 5th, 2009, 17:38   #1
gillberry
VOC Member

Default Respray

Hi all we will be respraying our 221 this winter and currently she is dark blue but we quite like the idea of going to a pale/pastel blue as in the following pics
http://www.volvogallery.org.uk/showphoto.php?photo=5978

Our questions are , what colour is this ? Can you get a similar modern colour or will it have to be made up ? also what do people think ? do you hae a colour that you think looks good?
we are still open to sugestions

Last edited by gillberry; Jul 5th, 2009 at 19:09. Reason: spelling
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 18:29   #2
archieboy69

Sorry i cant tell you what colour it is but i like it, if you find out go for it.
archieboy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 19:10   #3
TomG
Rat Rodin Fool

seconded

1968 Volvo Amazon 133 B20
TomG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 20:00   #4
Leeds Lad
Leeds Lad

I'm not sure how much it would cost, but Rolls Royce used to do a metallic version of that colour, it was on the mid eighties Silver Spirit, a trip to your local Rolls Royce dealer may put you on the right track. I used to work on them and this was one of my favourite colours, but if you can get the exact colour, do it as it does suit the car very well. Have fun.
Leeds Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 20:15   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

Good choice but I'm biased as I have a 2 door in that colour. I hope it's going to be a total strip out and paint. The original colour is hard to hide in an estate.

#89 Light-blue

Here's another. A bit closer to home.

Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 20:41   #6
gillberry
VOC Member

we have got to have the interior re trimmed and while that is out are hoping to get it all sorted for next year so the plan is to have it done the winter so it will be a complete job,
what we are after is some one who knows what the colour is or has a old sales brochure that gives names colours as we could just pick a blue but a volvo one would be nice, we know the car will never be original like some other classic we have had so thought why not change colour and as the log book states blue and were not sure if we went a paler blue if we would have to change it?
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 21:22   #7
Alf ista
Premier Member

Personally I really like the light blue. It suits nearly every classic well and looks good on Amazons. A colour I really dont like is dark blue. I think it just hides the shape of a car and looks a bit dull. Also, I would stay away from metallics, way too modern. Keep in mind though if you change the colour, to make it right everything else will have to be done; insides of doors, door apertures, interior, including the dash, the boot (a lot of this in an estate I imagine) and of course the engine bay. Do you intend to take out the engine and interior trim, door rubbers, etc to do this? It could be a lot of work...
Best of luck with it whatever you decide. I am doing mine at the moment and it is great fun seeing it all come together. Hugh.
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 13:22   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

As I said, the Volvo paint code is #89 Light-blue/ljusblå

Blue is "blue" as far as the log book goes so no problems there.

As a VOC member you can go in and have a look at the brochures and I'm sure you'll find all of the pictures you need.

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/paint_colour_codes.shtml
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 13:27   #9
gillberry
VOC Member

Thanks for all the replies we are now exploring restorers for a full bare metal respray .
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 14:37   #10
gillberry
VOC Member

Have now booked her to a local restorer for the end of october and having just rung our local paint supplies they can still make up the paint according to #89 light blue horizon blue .