Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

volvo tow bar electrics not compatible with Alko ATC?

Views : 5399

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 12:05   #11
Rentagas
Swedish Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKTech View Post
Does anyone know if there is anywhere to get the various towing wiring diagrams for different Volvos?
Guess it would be a good idea to chat this problem over to everyones advantage.

UKTech
There does seem to be a wealth of knowledge and experience on here. On this and other forums it has been stated that some manufacturers including Volvo do not by default wire tow bar electrics properly without explicit instructions.
However most punters don't know what these instructions might be.

If you install a tow bar with a new uk manufactured caravan you might expect the safety features on your caravan be powered and arrive at your destination with a cold fridge and a charged battery. If you choose Volvo to install your tow bar this will not be the case. Volvo may argue that they can't hope to comply with every permutation of uk caravan but in fact there is a fairly clear practical standard and a very clear ISO standard to adhere to.
Of course Volvo's reticence to provide a modern tow bar is not mirrored by it's large presence at caravan shows where it promotes the towing ability of it's cars. Clearly tow assist is a fantastic feature of the xc60 but it might be an idea for them to get the basic electrical connections right in the first place.

Perhaps a properly authored FAQ or "sticky" is called for.
Rentagas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rentagas For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 14:00   #12
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

i e mailed volvo uk in particular to the rectification to the wiring harness on my 13 pin that i had to do to find out what volvo's policy is on this .this is the reply.

Further to the e-mail below, I've now received the following information from our Technical Department:

Our wiring is to EU standard. For UK caravans this earth is generally required. You will need to add a earth wire to PIN 11. If it has been wired up as below and they still have no power at the pins 9 and 10 then would suggest he takes it back to the dealer that fitted the towbar
13 pin continental system

1. Left side indicator
2. Rear fog lights
3. Negative for pins 1,2,4 & 8
4. Right side indicator
5. Right hand rear position & end outline, & registration plate
6. Brake Lights
7. Left hand rear position & end outline, & registration plate
8. Reverse light
9. Constant 12v power supply
10. Power from ignition switch
11. Negative for pin 10
12. Coding for coupled trailer (on the plug pin 12 to be connected to pin 3)
13. Negative for pin 9

I trust this information answers your query.

Jo Howard
Customer Relations
read into that what you will.
mike
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 13:16   #13
Buck Rogers

Outnumbered,

Is there any chance I can get a copy of that email from VCS. I only ask as my XC90 is going in this week for pin 9 rectification lets say, and I bet they try to charge me for a job they should have done properly in the 1st place!. Would be good to flash a formal Volvo position to the muppet foreman I have to deal with.

Thanks Buck
Buck Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 15:22   #14
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Rogers View Post
Outnumbered,

Is there any chance I can get a copy of that email from VCS. I only ask as my XC90 is going in this week for pin 9 rectification lets say, and I bet they try to charge me for a job they should have done properly in the 1st place!. Would be good to flash a formal Volvo position to the muppet foreman I have to deal with.

Thanks Buck
have sent you PM.
mike
The Following User Says Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 12:26   #15
expat1

From past experience I find it's important to stipulate on the order in capital letters underlined "FULLY WIRED 13 PIN SOCKET". This is what I have ordered with my V70 (due next Saturday). If it then doesn't match a fulll wired socket according to the ISO standard then they have to put it right at their own expense.

One important thing to remember about the ISO standard is that it only states what the pin outs are and cable specs should be used not what has to be actually connected. If you just say you want a 13 pin socket but don't stipulate fully wired then they can just give you a basic installation wired for road lights only.

It's also my experience that most dealerships will sub out towbar work to the local towbar fitter. In fact some will actually tell you who they use and suggest you go to them direct.
expat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 15:25   #16
Rentagas
Swedish Chef

I've spent a bit of time on this...............

The XC90 volvo kit comes as a towbar and all the electrics including the 13 pin socket and fuses. The loom plugs directly into a socket which in the XC90 is behind the left hand panel in the boot.

The caravan specific pins are pins 9 and 13 (which are the supply and return for the ATC AND is switched by pin 10 on on some caravans for charging)) and pins 10 and 11 used for powering the fridge, internal lights and either charges the battery OR switches on the pin 9 charging relay

Sturgess claimed that pins 9 and 10 were optional and I would have to pay extra labour to "run a wire" to power them (about half an hour). It was only when I showed them the volvo fitting instructions and emails from volvo customer services that they relented. In fact everything required is already in the volvo fitting kit and they had actually thrown away the required fuses when they fitted my tow bar!

The only issue is that pin 11, the return for the fridge supply is not routinely connected in the kit but in fact I was told that both pin 11 and 12 are now earthed.

I have not had the chance to test my towbar properly on my caravan but on initial testing the ATC light flashes green not red when connected (as far as I can remember flashing green can occur on first connecting).

The only residual issue is that Volvo stipulate a 15A fuse for pin 9 supply which seems a bit small considering that on some caravans pin 9 supplies the ATC and charging of the battery.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 15:31   #17
Rentagas
Swedish Chef

volvo fitting instructions including testing:

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/pdf/Towb...ics13Pin-2.pdf

These are (I am told) the current instructions despite the date of 2005
The Following User Says Thank You to Rentagas For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 12:30   #18
JimDay
Mad Murdoch