Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 1.6d Se

Views : 1789

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 15th, 2007, 00:26   #11
Osamede

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7050man View Post
Did you compare the 1.6 with the 2.0 ? I'm interested in the possible smoother running of the 1.6. My company uses the 1.6 hdi (90bhp) engine in Peugeot 307 estates and whilst I detest these cars the engine is almost silent, almost like a petrol engine.?
Here in Norway the professional reviews of these cars (V50 and 307SW) noted that it is the exact the same engine (1.6D from the same factory) in both cars, but that the 307SW was more quiet.

The V50 therefore, was judged to be below expectation in noise/vibration damping. It is a newer car than the 307SW and aspires to more of a "luxury" image, so it was a bit surprising that Volvo chose to cut corners here instead of going a step further.
Osamede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 23:32   #12
treidlia

Hi

On consumption, my MY07 V50 1.6D over 7 mths from new and 20kkm returned 46.3mpg 6.1l/100km.
Over 12 mths from new and 35kkm my MY06 2.0D did 43mpg 6.6l/100km.
All figures based on accurate fuel log, not info centre.

On noise the 1.6D was noticeably more dieselly at tick-over than the 2.0, and noticeably more loud on acceleration than he 2.0D. To be fair it probably got revved higher than the 2.0D. Also there is noticeably less sound insulation in the engine bay of the 1.6. The passenger side (for me left side) seemed to get most of the 1.6 acceleration engine noise.

Having said all that, whilst it was slower, the 1.6 was arguably a better engine and car than the 2.0. For example the 2.0 diesellyness at tickover would have been hard to appreciate due to annoying whine of fuel pump, and the intermittent shudder in mine.
treidlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 19:30   #13
7050man
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamede View Post
Here in Norway the professional reviews of these cars (V50 and 307SW) noted that it is the exact the same engine (1.6D from the same factory) in both cars, but that the 307SW was more quiet.

The V50 therefore, was judged to be below expectation in noise/vibration damping. It is a newer car than the 307SW and aspires to more of a "luxury" image, so it was a bit surprising that Volvo chose to cut corners here instead of going a step further.
Thanks for your reply,Osamede. I would agree with your reviewers. One would expect Volvo as a more upmarket, expensive car to have been quieter.

With the Volvo (or my one anyway- SE spec), Low profile tyres with big plastic resonating mudguards in the wheel arches all increases road noise. My car also has leather interior that that will also not dampen cabin noise.

I noticed recently that this years models have felt style mudguards that do improve things abit. 16 inch wheels with higher profile tyres also make a big difference.

Re the engine, the 2.0D is pretty quiet in my view, but I'd hope that the 1.6 is better. Perhaps as you suggest, it's the car soundproofing that is lacking.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 23:08   #14
CW_
Mmm Beer

If you want quiet the 2.4 is the best but expect 24 to the gallon. Any desiel is noisy, but road noise is probably a bigger issue so big squidgy tyres are the answer. Personally I could'nt live with 15 or 16s but they will be quieter.

CW_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 22:15   #15
7050man
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW_ View Post
If you want quiet the 2.4 is the best but expect 24 to the gallon. Any desiel is noisy, but road noise is probably a bigger issue so big squidgy tyres are the answer. Personally I could'nt live with 15 or 16s but they will be quieter.
Yes I'd agree with that. 2.4 is a great engine. The 2.0D is pretty quiet, but road noise is the real issue.
I think that 16 inch wheels will be on my next car, even though 17 and 18 s look better, unless the government puts more money into repairing the roads that is.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote