Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyre speed rating

Views : 1686

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 17:24   #1
Willow

Default Tyre speed rating

It’s time to get new tyres and for the ones I fancy (Michelin Pilot Primacy) there is £25 per tyre difference between W (168mph) and V (149mph) rated tyres. A UK V50 downloadable handbook says: “The car has "Whole Vehicle Type Approval", which means that dimensions and speed ratings must not differ from those specified on the vehicle’s registration document.” But on my V5 there is no mention of tyre specs. Any thoughts? I obviously want to get the right tyres but a 100 quid is a 100 quid.

I’ll probably end up with Ws as currently fitted but I’m quite interested in the handbook quote.
Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 17:57   #2
Hezi
VOC Member

Doesn't the hand book give the recomended rating?

Or ask the dealer

Steve
Hezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 19:15   #3
Willow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezi70 View Post
Doesn't the hand book give the recomended rating?

Or ask the dealer

Steve
The hardcopy of the handbook says more or less the same as the pdf handbook that I have downloaded ie "speed ratings must not differ from those specified on the vehicle’s registration document". But they aren't specified.

Hence my question.

And for people PMing, thanks, I know I have to use the correct spec tyre but where does it tell me what the correct spec is?
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 19:22   #4
GMcL
0's and 1's

You don't say what the tyre size is.
I found the following online at Link:
195/65R15 91V
205/55R16 91V
205/50R17 93V Extra load
215/45R18 93W Extra load

I'm guessing it's one of the last two.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 19:47   #5
Willow

Thanks for the link and yes, sorry, I should have said my current tyres are:

205/50R17 93 W

The link suggests 205/50R17 93V would be OK. but it is a US link...
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 22:16   #6
John_C
Allons-y!

If you're going to drop a speed rating check with a dealer, and get it in writing too, then confirm it with your insurance company.

If you do go down a speed rating and have a bad accident your insurers may look at any way to get out of paying out, and tyres are just one way for them to do that.

Cheers,
John
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 08:45   #7
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
If you're going to drop a speed rating check with a dealer, and get it in writing too, then confirm it with your insurance company.

If you do go down a speed rating and have a bad accident your insurers may look at any way to get out of paying out, and tyres are just one way for them to do that.

Cheers,
John
Which is flippin' rediculous because technically you can't do more than 70 on a public highway so T rated tyres would suffice for everyone. Even H tyres could be classed as over specing.
Yet another GB rip-off. Oh oh ! I feel a rant coming on, better stop now.

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 19:02   #8
El Dingo
Rejoined member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
Which is flippin' rediculous because technically you can't do more than 70 on a public highway so T rated tyres would suffice for everyone. Even H tyres could be classed as over specing.
Yet another GB rip-off. Oh oh ! I feel a rant coming on, better stop now.
Until you go on holiday to Germany. Or sell the car to a person who works in Germany. Or have a medical emergency (God forbid). You are right, really, but it's a 'lowest common denominator' approach that is there to protect the people who don't check their tyre rating before going to the Nurburgring...
El Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 19:26   #9
Hezi
VOC Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow View Post
The hardcopy of the handbook says more or less the same as the pdf handbook that I have downloaded ie "speed ratings must not differ from those specified on the vehicle’s registration document". But they aren't specified.

Hence my question.

And for people PMing, thanks, I know I have to use the correct spec tyre but where does it tell me what the correct spec is?
Hi my handbooks the same !

Again nothing on the V5

Perhaps it's a standard translation in the hand book and other countries have this info on there V5 equivalent!
Hezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 08:00   #10
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dingo View Post
Until you go on holiday to Germany. Or sell the car to a person who works in Germany. Or have a medical emergency (God forbid). You are right, really, but it's a 'lowest common denominator' approach that is there to protect the people who don't check their tyre rating before going to the Nurburgring...
You have a spare set of touring tyres which would last for many years and buy the cheaper T rate for 'home' use in a similar way to drivers in other countries having summer and winter wheel and tyre sets.

Most of the time the tyres are grossly over spec'd on a car. How many times have you seen early S60 D5's on Z, W or Y rated tyres. The car has a top speed of 130mph which is the top end of H or V if you want to add in some margin. Putting Y (186mph) tyres on just seems like a waste but if that's what Volvo put on because they did a deal with a tyre manufacturer then you are stuck with it from an insurance point of view.