Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General > 400 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 480 Celebration No.001. 27100miles

Views : 17434

Replies : 81

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2009, 19:40   #61
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Default Re: your 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahal View Post
Don't worry ... there are others. I'm selling my 480 for £15,000. It's an extremely rare 'S' model
Well, I'm not having that!

My 480 is an extremely rare ES model in metallic black. Thanks to Stella at Volvo it has been valued in excess of £10 million pounds (plus VAT, delivery extra)

As has been mentioned later in the thread, it will be interesting to see when and where it surfaces again. One suspects it went back into the bank vault with the priceless glass beads. 'Cause it sure 'ain't Number 1 Celebration, and no dealer German or otherwise would touch it with a bargepole!

Cheers,

T

Last edited by T240; Jul 30th, 2009 at 19:55.
T240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 19:45   #62
ahal
Master Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by T240 View Post
Well, I'm not having that!

My 480 is an extremely rare ES model in metallic black. Thanks to Sarah at Volvo it has been valued in excess of £10 million pounds (plus VAT, delivery extra)

T
Thanks for the pointer ... I felt all along that I was being a bit on the conservative side! Oops, gotta go ... I think there's a German museum owner at the front door ;-)
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 20:03   #63
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Default Re: priceless 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahal View Post
Thanks for the pointer ... I felt all along that I was being a bit on the conservative side! Oops, gotta go ... I think there's a German museum owner at the front door ;-)
Darn, the value goes up and up. Sheik Yer Booty, the famous Arab car collector has just been on the phone begging me to sell my 480 Es. He's offered me £20 million cash, the hand of my Arabian princess of choice, with a dowery ten major oil fields, an apartment block in Manhattan, shares in De Beers and any motor yacht that takes my fancy.

Oh, decisons, decisions . . .

Cheers,

T
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 20:13   #64
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
I once owned a Hillman Imp. So did Anita Harris. I once met Anita Harris.

Does this mean that if I had still had my Hillman Imp it would be worth a fortune?

Actually, come to think of it, my Hillman was in fact substantially just a lump of red-painted fibreglass and filler, crudely constituted to look a bit like a Hillman Imp.

Jack
Wow one of those super fast McGuire space frame jobs
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 02:49   #65
RSF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javea1 View Post
Maybe is not me thats dreaming! Had two further bids, one from a Volvo main dealer so perhaps certain Volvo enthusiasts need to rethink values. If you don't want to buy it ,you don't have to offer , do you!.
Could'nt agree any more.
cars extremely low milage and a limited edition,some people just expect things for peanuts.This is a car I would happily pay over the odds for purely because you would be extremely lucky to ever find one with this sort of milage,never mind the LTE status and number 01 at that!!
A mint none limited edition with under 130k on th clock will make a grand and this should be judged the same?may be if your trying to haggle but otherwise I don't think so.
I would like to know where you could find one with this amount of miles and a LME for under a grand.
I will have 2.

http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk/...ac58d04fb7fadc

number271 for 4999euro would be 3k our money.

T5 WANTED,CHEAP PROJECT WITH MOT

Last edited by RSF; Aug 1st, 2009 at 03:20.
RSF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RSF For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 09:42   #66
capt jack
VOC Member

Default Special Editions

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.stuart View Post
Could'nt agree any more.
cars extremely low milage and a limited edition,some people just expect things for peanuts.This is a car I would happily pay over the odds for purely because you would be extremely lucky to ever find one with this sort of milage,never mind the LTE status and number 01 at that!!

With respect, if you read back through the whole thread, you'll see that there are some issues with this particular car that would raise questions about it's provenance:

The tailgate and internal badging appeared to be in the wrong places; in the photographs, the driver's seat looked very worn, the engine bay didn't look like a 27,000-miler, the front spoiler appeared to be missing. Older threads on another forum from a previous owner of the car made some reference to accident damage. and bodywork repair. These things alone sould have made any careful prospective buyer exercise the greatest degree of 'caveat emptor'.

That someone is prepared to pay over the odds for anything with an interesting history is not surprising. The 'Life on Mars' Cortina, was freely acknowledged in fact to consist of the major bits of at least two different Cortinas, and yet apparently raised a silly price when sold after the TV series. Fair enough.

Earlier this year I saw an ad for a Rover P6 that had been used in the filming of a TV series that hasn't actually been aired yet, but the car was being touted with an inflated price tag!

In the case of the 480 Celebration generally, Volvo's limited edition 'extras' added up to a little plaque on the dash of an otherwise standard car. Arguably interesting, but hardly tremendously value-enhancing, and very easily faked.

From the evidence, in the form of the photographs made freely available by the vendor on the internet, there were genuine concerns that this car was not all that was being claimed for it.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 16:57   #67
ahal
Master Member

Cool

Quite agree. I wouldn't spend 50 quid buying an autographed photo on ebay without a proper Certificate of Authenticity ( COA ) never mind a car at that price! Sure, there will be 480's advertised for silly money ... but how many of them sell?

I think in general people are hanging on to the good ones, and the proportion of dodgy ones out there on the market has increased. Not to say everyone who sells one is a 'put up' merchant, but as the good Captain ( hope you don't mind me calling you that :P ) says, got to beware.

For my money ( if I had it ) I'd be a lot more inclined to go for the 480/480 one on pistonheads. Price is realistic, and the seller seems not only gives a lot of info. in the ad. but is also straight up about any further info required.

Regarding the supposed 1/480 one, if it came from Volvo themselves with a COA I'd consider it at the price. Having so many questions hanging over it and the kind of 'answers' the seller posted, you must be joking! I think he came to the wrong place and quickly discovered that.

What got people's backs up I think is the fact that honest questions / mildly derisory banter ( as per any forum ) were greeted with sarcasm and insults from the seller. Not a great way to sell anything.

Regards,

Tony.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 19:47   #68
capt jack
VOC Member

Default Back from Germany then

Well, well, well:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1995-VOLVO-480...item1c173f98cd

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 01:44   #69
migrator
Aye - him again

Quote:
Originally Posted by javea1 View Post
What a load of waffle from a bunch of wallies. The car has now been sold to a Volvo dealership in Germany. They have confirmed ( via Volvo) that she is the true No 001, Vin no and chassis numbers correct, full history established and confirmed. Sale value in excess of £4,000. So much for all the clever comments and detective work by so called enthusiasts. More 'Inspector Clueso' than 'Sherlock Homes' To correct your inadequate research, No. 001 was in Storm Grey, No 002 Burgundy Red, No 003 in White satin.( According to volvo, but no doubt some twits will still prefer to argue.) Car No 002 was used in the brochure Part no. 4/95 9000 9826-0 as the red was considered more photogenic. (Again according to Volvo) The plaque 001 in the brochure is a mock up and not a photograph. The Storm grey car (No 001) was used in press advertising being better reproduced in black and white.(According again to Volvo Cars) Many thanks to Stella at Volvo for all her assistance over the past couple of weeks. Well chaps back to your pipe and caps, now time to find some other topic to occupy your lucid moments!
From the eBay listing :-

"Regretted sale of my Volvo 480 Celebration number "001 "of a runout limited edition of only four hundred and eighty. First reg. to an elderly gentleman who left it to his grandson in his will. I bought it about four years ago and she has been in careful storage ever since. Only 27,000 miles with service history, all hand books present and correct."

Either it was sold last year or it has been in careful storage for the last four years. Surely both cannot be true.

According to the eBay listing the location is Bedale. That is the location of javea1. Either the above quoted post is short on truth or the current eBay listing is short on truth. 27,100 miles from new when posted here last year and 27,680 now - if this has been to Germany and back it must have been transported each way.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817

Last edited by migrator; Nov 19th, 2010 at 01:49.
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 18:05   #70
jasedarace
JaseDaRace

Quote:
Originally Posted by migrator View Post
From the eBay listing :-

"Regretted sale of my Volvo 480 Celebration number "001 "of a runout limited edition of only four hundred and eighty. First reg. to an elderly gentleman who left it to his grandson in his will. I bought it about four years ago and she has been in careful storage ever since. Only 27,000 miles with service history, all hand books present and correct."
I bookmarked this in ebay... It seems to have mysteriously disappeared (not won by anyone).
jasedarace is offline   Reply With Quote