Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 steering is very stiff

Views : 734

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 15:02   #1
Vakito

Default 240 steering is very stiff

Hi all

Within the last 2 weeks the steering on my 240 has gotten very stiff, however this is a rapidly intermittent fault, as in you can start steering, regardless of if you're moving or idle and it's stiff, then it will go free for a fraction of a turn before going stiff again.

Then sometimes the steering will be fine if you're steering in one direction for a while but will go stiff again if you try in the other direction.

Seems completely random with no pattern at all.

It is slightly worse when the car is not up to temp but not by much.

I've read that it can either be the UJ or the steering rack but I just want to know if anyone else has had the same experience with something like this?

Also if the worst comes to it, what's the average cost for a 240 steering rack rebuild?

Regards
Peter
Vakito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 15:18   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakito View Post
Hi all

Within the last 2 weeks the steering on my 240 has gotten very stiff, however this is a rapidly intermittent fault, as in you can start steering, regardless of if you're moving or idle and it's stiff, then it will go free for a fraction of a turn before going stiff again.

Then sometimes the steering will be fine if you're steering in one direction for a while but will go stiff again if you try in the other direction.

Seems completely random with no pattern at all.

It is slightly worse when the car is not up to temp but not by much.

I've read that it can either be the UJ or the steering rack but I just want to know if anyone else has had the same experience with something like this?

Also if the worst comes to it, what's the average cost for a 240 steering rack rebuild?

Regards
Peter
you don't want to replace the steering rack if it is the steering shaft UJ stiff, which it could well be , you need to disconnect it from the pinion shaft and see how free the UJ joint is ... In my long experience dismantling a steering rack is never worthwhile it either leaks or plays up some time in the near future , best buy one with a years warranty .

is it stiff or heavy ?
stiff means you turn the wheel and the steering stays where you leave it when driving , ie it does not self centre ...
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 17:15   #3
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Sounds like the universal joints to me. There are two in the engine bay and they’re both easily visible/accessible - spray them both with lots of your penetrating oil of choice (WD40, etc) several times over several days and see if the steering improves.

If not the next stage is to take the steering column out and see what the universal joints feel like when moved by hand. As above, rebuilding steering racks is a bit hit and miss.

Is the power steering reservoir leaking fluid? If so that would suggest the pump is worn out.

Cheers

Last edited by Bugjam1999; Sep 2nd, 2019 at 17:15. Reason: Spelling
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 21:23   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The problem you are describing is a typical failed pump.

I would also lube the steering shaft UJ's but to cure your issue you will need to replace the pump
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 07:53   #5
Vakito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
is it stiff or heavy ?
stiff means you turn the wheel and the steering stays where you leave it when driving , ie it does not self centre ...
The steering has more trouble self centering when it's cold, when up to temp it does to an extent but not nearly as well as it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
The problem you are describing is a typical failed pump.

I would also lube the steering shaft UJ's but to cure your issue you will need to replace the pump
I'll give the UJ a lube and possibly replace if it's that bad.

Regarding the pump, I can still turn the wheels while stationary, albeit they're harder to turn but I would have thought that wouldn't be possible if the pump has failed. Not sure though.

Cheers
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 09:04   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakito View Post
The steering has more trouble self centering when it's cold, when up to temp it does to an extent but not nearly as well as it should.

I'll give the UJ a lube and possibly replace if it's that bad.

Regarding the pump, I can still turn the wheels while stationary, albeit they're harder to turn but I would have thought that wouldn't be possible if the pump has failed. Not sure though.

Cheers
if the steering gets lighter when you rev the engine its the pump . Otherwise get it pressure tested first . Max pressure should be around 120 bar ..before the pressure relief valve opens .
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 09:05   #7
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

It may well be the pump but the U/Js are easier to fix and would cost nothing, so do that first.
I've had exactly these symptoms in the past, and I found that simply squirting penetrating oil on them was encouraging but not a total cure.
You need to remove the bit of steering shaft with the joints, clean it up thoroughly, and then leave the assembly in a bowl of thin hot oil overnight.
Then exercise each joint to its full extent, and keep on oiling and moving until it entirely frees up, then refit.

(while about it, fit a flexible wire link bridging each joint. They form the vital earth for the horns, and a well-lubricated joint is not a good electrical connection)
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 17:18   #8
c1800
Master Member

You might try changing the fluid in the PS using the turkey baster method.

https://www.oildepot.ca/using-turkey...teering-fluid/

I’ve done it on several vehicles and it has improved the performance of the power steering.

Most vehicles never get the fluid changed, so this can help.

Last edited by c1800; Sep 4th, 2019 at 17:21.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 11:44   #9
Vakito

Thanks for all the good advice,

I'm gonna change the lower UJ and flush the fluid this weekend