Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

loss of power with no fault code

Views : 5182

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2011, 19:00   #11
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

did all this start after the injectors where re furbished.
mike
Old Nov 8th, 2011, 21:43   #12
mike xc90 d5

Yes, I have always had the fuel problem. I always had the sluggish acceleration but now its got worse. The hum hum hum noise only came 3 weeks ago. It sounds like it out of tune. Today I noticed a new thing, after letting go of the pedal when traveling at 30mph approaching a red light I can hear engine tappets out of rhythm. It's not very loud but strange. I am just putting this down to what ever fault I have got. I took out warranty direct when I bought the car, so I will have to wait another month before I can make a claim. In the mean time I might gets the code read one more time. Also been on the forums for a while, there was another member with similar problems who had his egr cleaned. And apparently that sorted his problem. Either way whatever changes are made I will keep you updated, I'm sure it will help someone out there. At the moment I am working on a process of elimination. also I too have also read that reconditioned injectors are tricky and can make things worse.
mike xc90 d5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2011, 23:46   #13
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike xc90 d5 View Post
Yes, I have always had the fuel problem. I always had the sluggish acceleration but now its got worse. The hum hum hum noise only came 3 weeks ago. It sounds like it out of tune. Today I noticed a new thing, after letting go of the pedal when traveling at 30mph approaching a red light I can hear engine tappets out of rhythm. It's not very loud but strange. I am just putting this down to what ever fault I have got. I took out warranty direct when I bought the car, so I will have to wait another month before I can make a claim. In the mean time I might gets the code read one more time. Also been on the forums for a while, there was another member with similar problems who had his egr cleaned. And apparently that sorted his problem. Either way whatever changes are made I will keep you updated, I'm sure it will help someone out there. At the moment I am working on a process of elimination. also I too have also read that reconditioned injectors are tricky and can make things worse.
Hi Mike, it is always difficult to diagnose from afar but I've been reading this thread since it was started and now I've just re-read it a couple of times through. Now I've got a theory about this, it is only a theory and may well be barking up the wrong tree but here goes:

When was the car last serviced and where do you normally fill up?

My belief this could be down to muck in your fuel tank and your current problem due to a semi blocked fuel filter?? This could explain the hum (fuel starvation) and the tappety sound you are getting could be the injectors injecting with very little fuel or no fuel.

With my theory it could also be a possible explanation on why injector number 3 had low flow (blocked with crap).

For all a fuel filter costs (and sorry don't want you to spend your money un-necessarily) I think it would be a good idea to change it and see if it makes any difference.

I know you say it has full service history but if you look at the service sheets when was the fuel filter last changed? All the servicing in the world still won't stop someone possibly filling up from a fuel can (especially an old jerry can type) and this just pouring loads of debris into the tank.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 14:33   #14
stuarthartley

That tappet noise that you are talking about sound like and injector over fueling a friend of mine has the same prob on a mondeo and after each trip the same injector needs re-programming to the car again
stuarthartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 16:58   #15
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuarthartley View Post
That tappet noise that you are talking about sound like and injector over fueling a friend of mine has the same prob on a mondeo and after each trip the same injector needs re-programming to the car again
you can only reprograme a complete set, i would suspect that since having all the injectors refurb what he is getting is diesel knock .
mike
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 19:24   #16
mike xc90 d5

I have a little about diesel knock, its more like a humming noise, the fuel filter was changed at the same time.

This morning when I started the car I decided to have a look at the exhaust whilst I let it warm up. There was nothing coming out of the tail pipes. It was 8'c so I expected to see some mist or smoke out of the but nothing. After work I took it to the garage to inspect the exhaust thinking the cat might be gone and this would explain the vibration I get when driving a little hard under my feet. It felt like the manifold gasket had gone on my old Ford. Anyway, the car was raised with engine running, only 2% of normal exhaust pressure was coming out of the tail pipes. No smoke and no color. The underside on the engine was checked for leaks but nothing . The mechanic said the problem could be the cat or the turbo due to over or under boosting. He would put his.money on a new turbocharger. He also said its not worth having a emission test as no pressure is coming out of tail pipes. But he will take the exhaust off to check the cat for 70 quid. He can then confirm whether cat or not is fine.

One problem after the next. Has anyone heard of this exhaust issue befor? The garage man also covers both dailies with his hands, it made no difference. Any ideas?
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 11:50   #17
mike xc90 d5

Just had the cat checked out and its fine. I noticed the hose attached to the turbo at the back of the engine which is wrapped in felt is covered with oil. Leukemia fit said it looks like a blown turbocharger? Is this hose easy to take of to check for a split? Is there anything else down next to the turbo whilst I'm down there today? And once the hose is off how do I check the turbo. I'm just looking for other options before I spend over a grand on a new turbo.
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 15:33   #18
mike xc90 d5

I took it to the Indy and he said the turbo is fine but the wastegate is not opening. He then used a souls diagnostic which showed ECM 1200 ECM 1300 and p0244 wastegate solenoid range a. I'm not the rear bottom engine mount looks ok. The top mount has some play, the rubber bit in the top mount is split and cracked. There is a little play in it. On the right of the mount looking from the front of the engine I can put a pen through the rubber. Has thing got anything to do with the wastegat. I'm not sure if the top mount is also run of
On vacuums. This was not leaking on the smoke test. But the test was done with engine off. Please help with this one. I'm running out of cash.
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 20:05   #19
ZippyIII

I know this was in 2012 but I have same problem by the sound of it, what was the to your problem?
ZippyIII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZippyIII For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 14:19   #20
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyIII View Post
I know this was in 2012 but I have same problem by the sound of it, what was the to your problem?

He was last online 7 years ago.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote