Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anti Skid Service - switches car off whilst driving

Views : 589

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 27th, 2019, 08:06   #1
Chridward

Default Anti Skid Service - switches car off whilst driving

Whilst driving along, i briefly feel a slight "lumpiness"/ almost feels like a minor disruption in fuel flow, a couple of seconds later, the dash lights up, Anti Skid Service appears, and the car shuts off with no warning.
I get out the car, lock it and leave it for 10 mins, and most times, the car will restart as if nothing has happened!
It may then run for 100 miles, or just 30 miles before it happens again. Scary!
Its bending my neddy!
Chridward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 23:51   #2
ukojesita

How old is the car battery? Something similar happened to my V50 last week with 7 year old battery. I had the battery tested (SAE test); the result was only 40% of capacity left in the battery. Had the battery replaced and everything seems fine.

(Below some VIDA parameters)
With the old battery, CEM was 'requesting' 15.1 Volts from the alternator when the engine was running. With the new battery, CEM is requesting only 12.2 Volts from the alternator.
ukojesita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2019, 10:31   #3
Slackey
It's just a name!

Battery or alternator is failing.

Check charging, should be around 14.5v when engine is running and battery should be 12v when switched off.

If you can hear a slight whistling sound when you rev the engine then it’s the alternator.

Previous: 2010 C70 2.0 SE Lux, 2004 V40 2.0 Sport Classic

Founder member of the X40 In Dash Cup Holder Owners Club 😋
Slackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2019, 11:47   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukojesita View Post
How old is the car battery? Something similar happened to my V50 last week with 7 year old battery. I had the battery tested (SAE test); the result was only 40% of capacity left in the battery. Had the battery replaced and everything seems fine.

(Below some VIDA parameters)
With the old battery, CEM was 'requesting' 15.1 Volts from the alternator when the engine was running. With the new battery, CEM is requesting only 12.2 Volts from the alternator.
12.2V is insufficient to charge a car battery

My XC90 charges at 14.4V.
Measured at the battery when engine RPM is over 1000 RPM.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2019, 09:46   #5
Chridward

Had already checked the Battery whilst off, reading 12.2V.
I will check whilst running this morning.
Local garage identified a fault from Cam sensor, so replaced it.
Car has run for 600 miles with new sensor, until it stopped again last night.
I did notice during the 600 miles, that there as an occasional, very slight change in revs for a second, again almost as if there was a change in the fuel flow. And on a couple of occasions, whilst in Cruise mode, if i pressed the gas pedal to overtake, there was a slight delay in acceleration

Cheers for your replies
Chridward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2019, 00:10   #6
ukojesita

I read somewhere that 12.2V when the engine is off is an indicator that the battery is not in the best shape (it should be around 12.6V or 12.7V for a good battery).

Just to clarify what I wrote earlier. In VIDA there is a "Alternator Charge Voltage Request" parameter that you can observe when the engine is running. Straight after installing a new, good quality battery, it read 12.2V (fully charged new battery, single start of the engine, I guess the battery did not need to be charged at that point). It was a massive improvement from 15.1V that was causing a havoc with the electronics of the car. A thousand miles later, the same parameter is on 13V.

I hope you get it sorted out soon.
Old Sep 17th, 2019, 00:55   #7
TheKen

Hi guys.. I have a similar problem I recently (9-10 months ago) bought a 2006 S60 D5 185hp...
Every now and then I get the 'anti skid service required' in the message window with no apparent change in performance.
Switch the car off, pop into tesco for half an hour, come back start her up and message gone...
The message might pop up once a day for 2 or 3 days then nothing for a month.. It came up once or twice immediately after a fairly hard launch hoofing away from the lights .. But now I'm worried that the MOT is due in a month and with the new test rules saying any lit warning light is an instant fail, and I've heard a few horror stories that fixing it can empty ur bank account....
Any advice gratefully received
TheKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 18:24   #8
ukojesita

Something worth trying would be topping up the brake fluid (or at least checking that there is enough fluid). Pads get worn out, the level of fluid naturally drops. I once found a post where somebody solved exactly the same problem that way (in their opinion, it must have been the reservoir sensor that had caused havoc in the system).
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 11:14   #9
Spikke

Check the CEM in the passenger foot-well. I had the same issue about 2 years ago, it turned out that the connectors in the CEM needed a clean and refitting. There are various threads on here on how to solve this problem.
Spikke is offline   Reply With Quote