Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1982 Volvo 245GLT

Views : 783

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 21:37   #1
Brucee

Default 1982 Volvo 245GLT

First time post so be gentle; the 'family volvo' has come to the point where it needs a restoration.

It is a 245GLT estate from 1982. One owner prior to my family, in my family since 1983. On paper it is a quite desirable example, but in practice it now needs work. Unsure whether to do it myself, sell it on as a project, or (curse the thought) break it for spares.

The spec is;

- seven black leather seats (not sure if seats 6 and 7 have ever been sat in)
- stainless steel exhaust
- genuine Volvo roof rack (clamps on to gutters) modified to be more aerodynamic (!)
- B23 engine with K-jet fuelling (last 10K miles with lead replacement additive)
- just over 100K miles, (engine uses no oil)
- pushbutton overdrive
- genuine volvo four speaker stereo (from 1982)
- non adjustable rear springs and dampers fitted; original adjustable Boge units (and all the plumbing) available.

I attach some photos; it looks better in the photos than in reality.

Image01295b.jpg

Image01296b.jpg

So the question is, what is the best approach?

thanks in advance

Brucee
Brucee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 23:38   #2
geoffo
saving 240's one by one

Thumbs up Best option

....is what you have done by posting it on here. If someone wants it and is prepared to make you a fair offer then it’s all good. I’d always restore, never break as I’m not sure there is a demand for parts. Looks a good example to me - def worth saving.....
geoffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 08:52   #3
Brucee

thanks for your message. Although the car would make good money if broken, I also think the car ought to be restored; according to the DVLA there are only a dozen 245GLTs like this left; four taxed and eight SORN.

I have no idea what would be a reasonable offer for the car; its only a few years ago that running examples were changing hands for a few hundred pounds, but it seems to me that those days are now over.

cheers
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 14:05   #4
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Don’t scrap it or break for parts! You should be able to get a decent angle on selling prices by looking through the various trade magazines- what is definitely happening now is that these cars are becoming sought after & appreciated as a classic.
If you do decide to sell then try and make sure it goes to a new owner who is genuinely interested for the right reasons.
Since buying my 240 3years back or so then I have seen a demand and increase in prices so quite the opposite to your observations.
Keep it going by whatever means you can.
Good Luck, Bob
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 17:45   #5
User54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucee View Post
thanks for your message. Although the car would make good money if broken, I also think the car ought to be restored; according to the DVLA there are only a dozen 245GLTs like this left; four taxed and eight SORN.

I have no idea what would be a reasonable offer for the car; its only a few years ago that running examples were changing hands for a few hundred pounds, but it seems to me that those days are now over.

cheers
I think there's probably more than a dozen but most are probably listed as 240s rather than 245s. For example, looking at the DVLA data, most Torslandas are listed as 240s but we know they only came in the estate format so could really be called 245s

Either way though, I'd agree with the other posters and try not to break it or sell it to someone who is going to break it if at all possible. It's what I'm doing even though it's going to be a money pit!
User54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 18:43   #6
Brucee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
Since buying my 240 3years back or so then I have seen a demand and increase in prices so quite the opposite to your observations.
Keep it going by whatever means you can.
Good Luck, Bob
sorry I wasn't clear; what I meant by 'those days are over' is that it seems to me that these cars are indeed appreciating in value. I've had a couple of expressions of interest in the car (for restoration) already.

cheers

Last edited by Brucee; Sep 4th, 2019 at 18:47.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brucee For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 00:04   #7
Brucee

Quote:
Originally Posted by User54 View Post
I think there's probably more than a dozen but most are probably listed as 240s rather than 245s. For example, looking at the DVLA data, most Torslandas are listed as 240s but we know they only came in the estate format so could really be called 245s
My understanding (which may be incorrect) is that Volvo had several changes of mind in a short time re model designations. Thus in the handbook (and on the registration document) this car is definitely a 245GLT. The handbook covers several different models and they all have different designations. When the car was produced 245 definitely meant an estate car and all similar estate cars were 245s; no confusion. All similar cars produced/registered at the same time (starting in 1980 I think) would have been registered with the DVLA as 245GLT, because that is what Volvo called it, badged it as and that is what it says it is in the handbook.

However it seems for 1983 and 1984 they had various different ideas; first deleting the model's trim level from the designation/badging (so no 'GLT' or similar) and then bringing it back again but differently (hence later cars are 'GLE's) whilst also dubbing the whole range '240' regardless of body style.

So later (basically very similar) cars are '240GLE' in the UK market and as pointed out above the final ones were badged differently again, and engines were changed/modified as time went on too.

Anyway, similar or not, it is not a 240GLE, just as a 240GLE isn't a Torslanda, I suppose. And there don't seem to be that many of those left either...?

BTW some time ago one chap wanted to buy the car because the camshaft in it is apparently the one that folk want for turbocharger conversions. Anyway I got the impression that whilst some folk were keen on restoring these cars as standard, there are equally folk that want to tune the wotsits off them....

cheers

Last edited by Brucee; Sep 6th, 2019 at 00:17.
Old Sep 9th, 2019, 21:36   #8
Brucee

to those of you who have PM'd me; sorry I have not replied, I can't PM until my post count is (genuinely or artificially) made higher.

cheers
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 15:19   #9
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Not many of these early GLT's left around

Are you thinking of using it again or just moving it on?
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 22:39   #10
Brucee

it remains to be seen. Really it depends on quite a few things, hence my first post.

cheers