Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Winter Wheels 2008 XC90

Views : 655

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 8th, 2019, 22:41   #1
CondorXC90

Default Winter Wheels 2008 XC90

I am new to Volvo having driven only BMW's for the past 10 years and a Range Rover before that.......had winter wheels for them and thought I should find out what I should be looking at for the XC90. Bought a 2008 venerable D5 XC90 which we are collecting on Saturday.......

Advice and info welcomed, hope this forum is as welcoming as my former BMW "home" forum, it certainly seems really comprehensive and I joined the VOC as well.....just for good measure!!!
CondorXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2019, 23:00   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Any wheels can be winter wheels.... however the smaller the diameter, generally the more (and lower cost) options there are for winter tyres. Or you could just swap the tyres over in November/March?

All XC90's in the UK had the same brakes so any Mk1 XC90 alloys will fit any model. However the hubs are different on the Mk1 XC90 to any other Volvo model so only Mk1 XC90 alloys can be used.

For winter wheels the "Neptune" wheel is popular as it's 17 inches. The more common ones (like Atlantis) are 18".
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2019, 05:45   #3
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Narrower tyres provide ore grip in winter.

My car was equipped with the following ex-factory:
Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45 (now Pirelli Verdes)
Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.

That 1 inch makes a difference!
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2019, 21:51   #4
CondorXC90

Thanks for replies - I was a very early adopter of winter rubber in the UK in the years when people whinged that it never got cold enough for winters, so just wanted to check sizes and suitable wheels - I think I have found a decent set now with good winter tyres.
CondorXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 16:34   #5
Dastardly Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Narrower tyres provide ore grip in winter.

My car was equipped with the following ex-factory:
Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45 (now Pirelli Verdes)
Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.

That 1 inch makes a difference!
Not completely true. In fresh, uncompacted snow conditions a narrower tyre can provide more grip by cutting through to the firm surface below. In all other cold weather scenarios a bigger footprint provides more grip.
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 00:11   #6
okedave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CondorXC90 View Post
I am new to Volvo having driven only BMW's for the past 10 years and a Range Rover before that.......had winter wheels for them and thought I should find out what I should be looking at for the XC90. Bought a 2008 venerable D5 XC90 which we are collecting on Saturday.......

Advice and info welcomed, hope this forum is as welcoming as my former BMW "home" forum, it certainly seems really comprehensive and I joined the VOC as well.....just for good measure!!!
I just put michelin cross climates on the standard rims, they have been awesome, and no need to change over from summer/winter and back again.
okedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 08:43   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly Diesel View Post
Not completely true. In fresh, uncompacted snow conditions a narrower tyre can provide more grip by cutting through to the firm surface below. In all other cold weather scenarios a bigger footprint provides more grip.
Er.... that’s not true at all, in fact the opposite is the case...

On any snow and any ice, pressure exerted on it causes it to melt - if the pressure is sufficient this is instantaneous.

Ignoring dynamic loads every wheel has a fixed weight, the greater the surface area of tyre in contact with the road then the less pressure exerted by the tyre. So a narrow tyre is better for grip in any cold conditions that a wider tyre of the same diameter. If the diameter is also reduced then this also improves grip.

It’s the same principle as using a large plastic sheet as a sledge to slide down a snowy hillside. Stand at the top in your boots - not much happens.

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-articl...res-for-winter
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Sep 13th, 2019 at 08:48.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 11:52   #8
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
On any snow and any ice, pressure exerted on it causes it to melt - if the pressure is sufficient this is instantaneous.

Ignoring dynamic loads every wheel has a fixed weight, the greater the surface area of tyre in contact with the road then the less pressure exerted by the tyre. So a narrow tyre is better for grip in any cold conditions that a wider tyre of the same diameter. If the diameter is also reduced then this also improves grip.
This is why ice skates are so narrow.
A narrow skate blade has much more grip than a wide piece of metal.
(For the identical tread pattern: none)
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 14:35   #9
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Eh???

Surely with skates you want less friction (grip) to make you go faster

The "grip" comes from pushing with the side of the skate

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 16:02   #10
SwissXC90
Premier Member

yeah i was wrong.