Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1.6d no boost on motorway!

Views : 3623

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2013, 21:30   #1
mlmcelligott

Default 1.6d no boost on motorway!

hi - I accidentally posted this in the diesel d5 section but just realised its the PSA Hdi engine, sorry Mods!

I have a vacuum issue on my 2007 v50 1.6d

Around town the car pulls like a train and never misses a beat. After about an hour on the motorway the car will loose boost. When that happens I can put the car in third and keep the foot flat to the floor and after thirty seconds or so it'll boost fine for ten seconds and then it'll loose boost again and the car will slow down. Again, after about thirty seconds it'll boost again and it'll repeat this cycle until I get off the motorway and then after a few minutes the boost will come back again and it'll drive fine until i get on the motorway again.

Ive made the assumption thats its got nothing to do with the turbo since it works fine on the back roads and in town. It only happens at high speed and only after about an hours driving so it has to be heat related. Im thinking its either a vacuum leak on a hose that only presents itself when it gets hot and expands or the vacuum control solenoid thats getting stuck

no codes

Any ideas?
mlmcelligott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 21:45   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmcelligott View Post
hi - I accidentally posted this in the diesel d5 section but just realised its the PSA Hdi engine, sorry Mods!

I have a vacuum issue on my 2007 v50 1.6d

Around town the car pulls like a train and never misses a beat. After about an hour on the motorway the car will loose boost. When that happens I can put the car in third and keep the foot flat to the floor and after thirty seconds or so it'll boost fine for ten seconds and then it'll loose boost again and the car will slow down. Again, after about thirty seconds it'll boost again and it'll repeat this cycle until I get off the motorway and then after a few minutes the boost will come back again and it'll drive fine until i get on the motorway again.

Ive made the assumption thats its got nothing to do with the turbo since it works fine on the back roads and in town. It only happens at high speed and only after about an hours driving so it has to be heat related. Im thinking its either a vacuum leak on a hose that only presents itself when it gets hot and expands or the vacuum control solenoid thats getting stuck

no codes

Any ideas?
The first thing to do is change the fuel filter then try it ....
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 22:40   #3
mlmcelligott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The first thing to do is change the fuel filter then try it ....
Thanks

I'll try that and let you know how it goes.
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 13:07   #4
mlmcelligott

Just replaced the boost control valve, map sensor and a new fuel filter. I also found the MAF sensor had a lot of oil gunk on it so i cleaned it with some card cleaner. I havent taken the car for a test drive yet but after leaving it idle for 20 minutes its running much smoother. Ill give an update after a long motorway journey.
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 13:48   #5
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Quote:
Just replaced the boost control valve, map sensor and a new fuel filter. I also found the MAF sensor had a lot of oil gunk on it so i cleaned it with some card cleaner. I havent taken the car for a test drive yet but after leaving it idle for 20 minutes its running much smoother. Ill give an update after a long motorway journey.
Does you car have both MAP and MAF sensors? I thought engines just had one or the other but not both (but then my knowledge of such things is quite out of date and not that comprehensive anyway).

How come the MAF was full of gunk? Its after the air filter so it should pretty much stay clean forever, unless there is a problem with your air filter or maybe a split somewhere allowing unfiltered air in, which would be a recipe for disaster (I used to be into off road motorbikes. I once discovered by chance that the engine performed better without an air filter so I left it off. Expensive mistake. It worked better for about an hour before making all the wrong noises before dying. When I opened the engine up to see why, filth had got in and with the pistons popping up and down as they do, they'd effectively ground big grooves into the cylinder linings and completely destroyed the piston heads).
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 18:46   #6
mlmcelligott

Yip, the car has both MAP and MAF sensors. The MAF had some oil residue gunk on it so i just blasted it off with carb cleaner and its running much smoother now.
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 19:08   #7
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Quote:
The MAF had some oil residue gunk on it
On the outside casing or on the inside?

If it was on the inside, I'd be digging about to find out why.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 20:23   #8
mlmcelligott

yip it was on the inside. The MAP sensor was faulty and the turbo actuator was faulty also so the car wasn't running well for a while so i wasn't surprised to see some oil in the MAF.

I also have a BMW 320d e46 so I'm used to cleaning out the MAF at least once a year.

Tags
1.6d, boost leak, turbo issue, v50 1.6d no boost