Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

door speaker upgrade

Views : 943

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:53   #1
klingon

Hi

I'm going to upgrade my door speakers my self but before I do can anyone tell me what size they are for 850 estate. I think they might be either 5 or 6 inch ?

Also do you have to take the door skin off or do the speaker facia come off?

Anyone had any trouble doing this? I was thinking of JBL's any thoughts?

thanks
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 12:45   #2
klingon

OK Volvo owners someone out there must of done this before?

Can you advise me please?

Thanks
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 16:19   #3
roy chu1

Default RE: door speaker upgrade

Hi Klingon,

I have not attempted to replace my door speakers.

On the 855 the speakers covers clip off. Not sure about the saloon though. I think in the front the speakers size is 13cm and in the back they are about 13cm to 15cm.

On the v70 classic, the door trim has to be taken off, but this is not a hard task. There is one torque screw which has to be undone, then you just carefully pull the door trim off.

I don't know the size of the speakers on the v70. Anyone know about this.

What model volvo have you got? (Klingon)

I would suggest that you can goto halfords who have manuals which tell you the speaker sizes in the car.

Happy hunting, let us know what set up you carried out.

Roy
roy chu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2003, 17:39   #4
don kalmar union
Trader

I do have a complete set of 6 speakers stripped out of my S70 in very good order if you are interested. Don.Norchi. 020 8959 3230.
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2003, 16:52   #5
roy chu1

I think the volvo stereos have great mids and high end sound, and adequate bass, but as soon as you turn it up near to full it can disort.

If you desire more bass, then you could try a sub. I had 1 10" which produced a great level of bass but at the same time it didn't disturb the exterior of the car. But again if you want people to hear you coming, then get 1 or 2 12" subs.

good luck.
roy chu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2003, 17:35   #6
Alexxa

Hi
I done exactly this only last week on an 850 saloon and I'm sure the estate will be the same. It was a doddle! The plastic speaker 'grilles' simply pull off for access to the speaker housing. You will only be able to get 130mm speaker units in the opening. 150mm will be too big. The only difficulty is that the door may require drilling to get the fixings in place (mine didn't have any rear door speakers fitted at all), and there will be a bit of a gap around the speaker. As mentioned in a previous posting, plastic speaker adaptors are available from Halfords (or similar), but I didn't bother.
Hope this helps.

Alex
1994 850 GLT 2L 20v Man.