Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What I did today thread...

Views : 321891

Replies : 3013

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 16th, 2018, 22:31   #1341
reggit
Premier Member

Fitted a used towbar to my very used (203,000 mile) V70 - need it to drag the trailer tent on holiday in 2 weeks time.
Wonder if I’ll get the rear of the jobs finished by then? At least all the major stuff I can do is done.
Old May 17th, 2018, 10:58   #1342
JGTTDI

Yesterday I fully machine polished the XC, it came up really well so I also machined the roof box.

Both looking very clean indeed.
JGTTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 12:19   #1343
chrisfr

What did i do today. I had to relay some flagstones around my pool terrace. We have mega ants here in my part of france. They ate the cement out between the flags and then dug so many tunnels in the sand under them that some of the flagstones collapsed. When i lifted one of them i got a bit of a shock as there was a twelve inch adult viper coiled in a recess under the flag. We get lots of grass snakes which are a lot bigger, but vipers or adders are best avoided.
They are not very big but are all muscle and can easily kill a dog. My pool is gated so my dogs cannot get near it.
I had to put the snake on a long shovel and then relocate it into a plastic container. After a short drive down to a forest I released it. Hopefully it hasent got a sat nav and it wont find its way back. We get reticulated whip snakes as well which are beautiful quite aggressive. They have no venom, but their defence is to coil and then spring up in the air , hissing. A bit unnerving to a guest form the uk that has not seen one before. It usually results in a change of underware!
chrisfr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisfr For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2018, 14:03   #1344
petey
Master Member

Not exactly on topic but today I drove with both a tachograph and a satnav in the car and the speeds were ALWAYS exact regardless of the road condition.

The tacho was fitted less than 1000km ago so I’m confident that I represents an accurate road speed still. Keeping to 96kph, the satnav reporter 60mph up hill, down dale and round the many, many bends of the M5 and M6.

I only mention this because there’s been some previous discussion regarding the validity of indicated speed from GPS units but on a poll of exactly one, my TomTom is spot on!
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to petey For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2018, 15:00   #1345
alanoconnor

My CEM was delivered today along with a secondhand pair of Adidas trainers off eBay.

Popped my 'new' trainers on and skipped down to the bus stop with my CEM under my arm.

Presented the box to my mechanic as if it was the Holy Grail. He says, "Where's the old one?" Eh?

He needed it to start the car to drive to his mates who has the VIDA DICE (he told me he had one).

It's ok - he has a tow bar on his Audi so....

I am hoping to pick the soon-to-be-back-on-the-road T5, albeit with a dodgy clutch but at least I can put my new (secondhand) HU-650 in it and junk the JVC monstrosity.
alanoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alanoconnor For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2018, 15:17   #1346
alanoconnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfr View Post
What did i do today. I had to relay some flagstones around my pool terrace. We have mega ants here in my part of france. They ate the cement out between the flags and then dug so many tunnels in the sand under them that some of the flagstones collapsed. When i lifted one of them i got a bit of a shock as there was a twelve inch adult viper coiled in a recess under the flag. We get lots of grass snakes which are a lot bigger, but vipers or adders are best avoided.
They are not very big but are all muscle and can easily kill a dog. My pool is gated so my dogs cannot get near it.
I had to put the snake on a long shovel and then relocate it into a plastic container. After a short drive down to a forest I released it. Hopefully it hasent got a sat nav and it wont find its way back. We get reticulated whip snakes as well which are beautiful quite aggressive. They have no venom, but their defence is to coil and then spring up in the air , hissing. A bit unnerving to a guest form the uk that has not seen one before. It usually results in a change of underware!
You should get a cat. Or you can have mine if you want - free. It keeps jumping on my head at 3.00 am thinking I am its prey.
Old May 17th, 2018, 22:42   #1347
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfr View Post

Hmm, until today backyard pool was related to relaxing in my mind..
Old May 17th, 2018, 23:20   #1348
alanoconnor

I was at a loss as to what to do this afternoon and it is a non-drinking day today so after dropping CEM off at garage:

1 Have had 6 bottle of orange flavoured Lucozade
2 Ate some ribs and chips
3 Got bitten by angry cat
4 Got bitten by angry horse fly and my arm has swollen up
5 Bid on a vintage Mulberry bag that I don't actually want but owe it to myself to have at least one eBay purchase a day until I get my T5 back
6 Wrote several tripadvisor reviews
7 Wrote to 10 Downing Street asking for the reason I was rejected for a regional export finance role without interview when I am an expert in export finance
8 Looked forward to tomorrow as it is a drinking day
Old May 18th, 2018, 09:34   #1349
ksmi
Master Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanoconnor View Post
You should get a cat. Or you can have mine if you want - free. It keeps jumping on my head at 3.00 am thinking I am its prey.
Ginger,name of Lewis? Wondered where the bugger got to at night! What do you recon?catches the"Red Eye" there and back?

Regards,Keith.
Old May 18th, 2018, 14:04   #1350
alanoconnor

No - who would name a cat after Lewis Carrol?

Mine is Oscar - named after Oscar Wilde. He only has one eye at the moment due to an eye infection, hence why he mistakes me for an extremely overweight, featherless pigeon and attacks me whilst I am sleeping.

Cats are supposed to be clever but take an eye off them and they turn miserable, vicious...and incredibly dim.

Today...waiting for a phone call from the funniest mechanic in the north of England to say my car is better. I am not holding my breath.

I started working on another list of how much I can get for the car if I break it into parts...the 2 ABS modules/pumps should get me a couple of hundred, same for turb, a few hundred for the tyres and alloys, couple of hundred seats, couple of hundred for new CEM....