Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Colours - contentious issue of the day

Views : 4367

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2018, 08:53   #11
Fitzchiv

I was reflecting on this driving to work this morning, it's a real issue I think. I was in a convoy of four white cars, all different manufacturers. It's definitely something particularly pushed by the german manufacturers but more and more are going that way - it's surely all a response to resale value and playing the percentage game on a safe choice for second hand car buyers.

For my new XC60 I've opted for Black Stone, purely on the basis that I valued other options more than the colour, and essentially a cost option paint would have tipped me over into the upper tax band and essentially been £2.5k for a nicer shade. It's a bit of a shame that a brand positioning itself toward the luxury end doesn't introduce a little more flexibility really.
Fitzchiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 17:42   #12
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzchiv View Post
I was reflecting on this driving to work this morning, it's a real issue I think. I was in a convoy of four white cars, all different manufacturers. It's definitely something particularly pushed by the german manufacturers but more and more are going that way - it's surely all a response to resale value and playing the percentage game on a safe choice for second hand car buyers.

For my new XC60 I've opted for Black Stone, purely on the basis that I valued other options more than the colour, and essentially a cost option paint would have tipped me over into the upper tax band and essentially been £2.5k for a nicer shade. It's a bit of a shame that a brand positioning itself toward the luxury end doesn't introduce a little more flexibility really.
Volvo isn't the only one with uninspiring/boring colours. I've just recently done a deal to change my brownish [nut nice] CR-V for another one. This time I've opted for a silver one. Apart from one red, which isn't half as nice as Mazda's, a dull blue, the brownish, all the rest are black, white, grey and silver variations. There may be a solid red as well, although I don't recall ever seeing one on the road
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 19:14   #13
AB-UK
Premier Member

Someone on this forum knows how to set up a Poll - I wonder if he/she could do another one for colours?

I'd like to see a choice of some Greens.

Perhaps someone at Volvo might take note of UK owners ideas on colours.

I also wonder if there is a difference between those who get cars through company sources, and those who buy privately? This could be a sub-question.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 21:33   #14
Crockers
Premier Member

Personally I think its a rip off charging for ordinary metallic paint.
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 21:36   #15
Giles11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
Volvo are trying hard to attract a younger, more dynamic customer base, just look at their poster, print media and TV advertising, but boy, are the colours they choose boring!!!!!

Just as an example, the new V60 has a choice of 4 different greys - yes 4!
Plus "Birch Light" which looks grey also. So 5 greys!!
It won't be long before this wonderful choice is available for the XC90 also I'm sure.
Even the Bronze, which at least had a hint of sparkle in it, has gone and it's been replaced by a Brown.

Where are the brighter colours of old, the yellows, greens, deep red, light blue?

Painting now is computerised - different colours prepared and sprayed at the touch of a button. It isn't rocket science, but computer science.

I know everyone has a subjective view of colour, and many buyers may love shades of grey (should be a novel about this in every glovebox), so I'm not trying to disparage anyone's current choices. However, you only have to look at other marques on the road, Peugeot, Mazda, even Ford, to see the unusual and often attractive colours which can be applied to cars these days.

It has to be said that modern Volvos are now far from cheap, with the higher spec ones over £70K, but the choice of colours is woeful.
The fact is that your resale value would be pretty dismal if you had say a yellow XC90
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 22:51   #16
Converted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles11 View Post
The fact is that your resale value would be pretty dismal if you had say a yellow XC90
Hmm yellow is only suitable for a small sporty hatchback. Sometimes, you would spend 2 weeks thinking which colour to pick because there are so many good ones to choose from. The Pebble Grey in the V60 ranges seems to be the only one that is easy on the eyes...

I almost chose a grey when I got my S90 but missus overruled and chose the Mussel Blue. Very pleased with her choice as it turned out to be a light blue. My first ever blue car.
Converted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 22:59   #17
AB-UK
Premier Member

The Mussel Blue is nice, but even that has a hint of grey.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 23:06   #18
Converted

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
The Mussel Blue is nice, but even that has a hint of grey.
Yes, very true.
Converted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 07:31   #19
Crockers
Premier Member

Went to the dealer with colours shortlisted..Electric Silver or Crystal White. Wife saw Mussel Blue with blonde interior. Thats what we bought. Its a blue with a grey hue or even a wee green hue in the right light.
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 08:53   #20
chrisfr

My xc60 is twilight bronze. I bought the car on the dealers website without driving it. It looked better in the flesh and l liked it immediately. The blonde interior and carpets put a lot of people off but I didnt have a problem with it as it had volvo custom tailored black rubber mats including the load bay which made it practical. I have two gun dogs and they think its great, blonde interior or not.The car was an x demo and had been reduced by five grand on a friday afternoon as the new stock including the xc40 range was arriving the following monday. i saw it right away an bought it. There was someone viewing the car as i made the payment and they were dissapointed when the salesman told them it had been purchased on line by me whilst they were test driving it! Colour is often personal taste. I like the colour of mine but its not everyone's first choice.