Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Odd Turbo Boost Noise

Views : 2598

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2011, 20:44   #1
VolvoS4

Default Odd Turbo Boost Noise

Car:
Volvo S40 1.6D (Ford DLD Engine) 55 plate.

Hi,

I have recently noticed that the turbo makes the same noise as the interior fan when under load, I have checked for leaks but cant find any... I am truly stumped, Does anybody know what could be possibly causing this?

Cheers,
-B
VolvoS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2011, 20:46   #2
VolvoS4

I have just realised this is in the wrong s40 category, could a mod kindly move the thread to the correct section.
Old Dec 16th, 2011, 21:21   #3
Kaptin Orsum

When you say same noise as the interior fan, do you mean a whistle or a clicking?

If it's a whistle tpe of sound, it could be a blown intercooler (IC). Any loss of power? Smoke on wide open throttle (WOT) ? increase in turbo boost rpm, 1,800 before and 2,000 or 2,200 now?

My intercooler is split and I notice a whistle around 2,000rpm, much like running an open air filter. I thought that's what it was and the garage verified it for me. No biggie, just goes with age.

Is yours remapped? This can cause the IC to go on WOT as more boost is stressing the IC, causing it to split.
Kaptin Orsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2011, 21:40   #4
Volvoline
Master Member

On mine, if I throttle up hard and let the turbo engage, and after half a second release all throttle, I'll get something that sounds like a turbo backfire. Like a turbine doing wush wush wush.

This is a new turbo.
Normal ?
Volvoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2011, 21:49   #5
VolvoS4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptin Orsum View Post
When you say same noise as the interior fan, do you mean a whistle or a clicking?

If it's a whistle tpe of sound, it could be a blown intercooler (IC). Any loss of power? Smoke on wide open throttle (WOT) ? increase in turbo boost rpm, 1,800 before and 2,000 or 2,200 now?

My intercooler is split and I notice a whistle around 2,000rpm, much like running an open air filter. I thought that's what it was and the garage verified it for me. No biggie, just goes with age.

Is yours remapped? This can cause the IC to go on WOT as more boost is stressing the IC, causing it to split.

Its not a whistle but like a woosh kind of noise, like the interior fans blowing on setting 4 on the LCD dial, the turbo is full chat when I hear the woosh, under load, whilst accelerating.

What I have noticed is that the pipe running under the turbo (LHS of the engine that leads to the intercooler) expands whilst revving/turbo boosting, and there is a small but noticable escape of engine oil around the join.

Also there is no noticable loss of power and I havent noticed any unusual smoke from the exhaust but I will double check this again to be sure.

I have not long had the car, and I dont know if it has been remapped but the car is completely standard so I would hazard a guess that is has not been tampered with, but I can't remember this noise being present before today as I remember the car was behaving silently whilst accelerating through the gears.

The only thing that bothers me is I need this use the car the next couple of days and I hope I do not cause any unecessary damage to any mechanical parts.

Thanks for the reply Kaptin Orsum, if I have any new information, I shall keep the thread updated.

Regards,
-B
Old Dec 16th, 2011, 21:55   #6
Kaptin Orsum

Hmm, sounds to me as though you can hear the turbo spooling up and down, compressor surge/air flow?

Have you had it serviced or any work done on it of late? Maybe the air box is open?

Does it sound like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pk3dvMJ2FU
Old Dec 16th, 2011, 21:59   #7
Kaptin Orsum

the only damage you'll do is if you're running the car at full tit all the time, however even that will be minimal. The turbo, if it is a leak in the boost circuit (pipe work feeding from the air filter, turbo, intercooler and inlet manifold) will just be boosting that little bit harder to achieve the same power. Drive it, but don't go racing until you get it sorted.

If you're seeing oil vapour collecting it sounds as though your boost pipe may be split or perished, or the jubilee clip (if there is one?) could be loose.

It's sounding like a boost leak, much like my split intercooler, which I've had whilst I covered 1,200 miles this week.
Old Dec 16th, 2011, 22:00   #8
VolvoS4

Quote:
Hmm, sounds to me as though you can hear the turbo spooling up and down, compressor surge/air flow?

Have you had it serviced or any work done on it of late? Maybe the air box is open?

Does it sound like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pk3dvMJ2FU
Thats the noise, around 44 seconds in. but very noticable in the drivers seat

No service has been undertaken since my ownership, but I am keen to do this soon.
Old Dec 16th, 2011, 22:12   #9
VolvoS4

Quote:
the only damage you'll do is if you're running the car at full tit all the time
Its only a 1.6, although nippy, its not worth raggin' the t!ts off it

Quote:
If you're seeing oil vapour collecting it sounds as though your boost pipe may be split or perished, or the jubilee clip (if there is one?) could be loose.
Shall do some further investigating on this tomorrow, there is a jubilee clip present and from memory, it seems to be unique to the pipe, so I'll try not to lose it

Quote:
It's sounding like a boost leak, much like my split intercooler, which I've had whilst I covered 1,200 miles this week.
Hopefully it is an easy fix, I will remove the dubious intercooler/turbo pipe tomorrow for further investigation.

Once again, thanks for your help
Regards,
-B
Old Dec 16th, 2011, 22:13   #10
Kaptin Orsum

I would go and check the air box, ensure it's clipped in correctly. However as you mentioned the boost pipe work it could just be a split pipe or loose jubliee clip.

You'll be OK.