Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1961 Volvo PV544 in Holland

Views : 83246

Replies : 750

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2019, 15:42   #641
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueosprey90 View Post

Also what are those red circular "terminal blocks" called (A, B, C & D) and what was your source for them?
More on the terminal blocks - I said I'd find the manufacturer - I did (!)

^^^RIPCA^^^

As you can see I also bought the terminal cover kit.

I'm not especially impressed. There's a circular piece of perspex that goes over the cross head screw terminals and a very very loose rubber johnny thing over the main wire that would normally be used on a battery cable.

So the terminal cover kit is a bit of an afterbirth thought after the decent post had been designed. Shame really - it is just about functional - but not very neat =>

I'm not sure if I'll even bother fitting the cover kits for the right hand side terminals...

1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 14:52   #642
Army
marches on his stomach

Default New tangent today (!)

Blower motor needs a bit of help.

The fan cage floats about a bit too much on the end of the motor shaft. You can pull / push the cage about 5mm backwards and forwards on the motor so something needs to be fixed...

The grub screw on the cage (fits into armature / motor shaft) came out nicely - I was surprised.

After a fair amount of rust eating penetrating had been left to work its wonders super hero dexterity was needed to hold the cage and a parallel pin punch in one hand and then hammer the motor's shaft free from the fan cage =>

The rubber mounting parts were a bit stuck to the mounting flange but came away with a bit of careful encouragement. These resilient bits must be added to reduce motor noise in the cabin.

Long - through body bolts - undone to remove the mounting flange and to separate the motor casing

The end cap at the end where the brushes are fixed had a broken fixing spring on the bearing which actually helped remove the shaft from the end cap...

...but could very well be part of the trouble - part of the reason why the shaft / armature floats about so much within the casing

And there we have it - one motor in as many bits as I feel is necessary / prudent

It seems like the brushes have been replaced...

...I get the feeling that whoever did that job didn't shim the armature nicely in the casing.

The commutator is pretty worn out on the armature (whereas the brushes have lots of meat on them) which is a shame as there may not be enough meat to let me get away with machining them smooth again.

To be continued (at my usual leisurely pace)
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 16:58   #643
Derek UK
VOC Member

You were lucky to get the fan off that easy. With luck, the comm can be skimmed. As long as the separator grooves can be recut a bit so the brushes actually switch things on and off as they pass you should be OK.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 21:04   #644
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Derek;

Removing the all-metal impeller of the 544 ventilator motor is a lot simpler than the same job on the 122 ventilator with plastic impeller...

If I didn't know any better, I'd like to suggest that the brushes might have been replaced with a narrower set...it looks like the set in there have really dug into the commutator, because they are narrow and only in contact with about 40% of it! Are you seeing what I'm seeing?

Cheers
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 15:53   #645
Army
marches on his stomach

Sorry for the delay in replying - I'm busy buying a house at the moment - trying to find one with a decent workshop solution isn't easy. It seems that "normal" people think a single garage is reasonable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
You were lucky to get the fan off that easy. With luck, the comm can be skimmed. As long as the separator grooves can be recut a bit so the brushes actually switch things on and off as they pass you should be OK.
I think the existing part is more or less toast - the gouges are a bit deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
Derek;

Removing the all-metal impeller of the 544 ventilator motor is a lot simpler than the same job on the 122 ventilator with plastic impeller...

If I didn't know any better, I'd like to suggest that the brushes might have been replaced with a narrower set...it looks like the set in there have really dug into the commutator, because they are narrow and only in contact with about 40% of it! Are you seeing what I'm seeing?

Cheers
I thought the brushes were a bit narrow too when I took it to bits. The holders do look like they should be there though...

The only identifying mark on the plastic holders I can find is a "VR14" - I've done an internet search but haven't come up trumps just yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 blower motor in bits9.JPG (158.2 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 blower motor in bits10.JPG (154.2 KB, 100 views)
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 14:44   #646
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Unfortunately...

...I'm far too busy with estate agents, banks and surveyors to get much done on any of my numerous projects. The Volvo is suffering.

However, after the fun and games with the left hand part of the suspension (King Pin etc) I decided I'd try and see how just cleaning and painting the right hand side would go. There's nothing wrong with the king pin on the right hand side so I thought I'd save a bit of time and money by not going full on anal and just replace it "cos I'm already there".

Getting the grease and dirt off was pretty time intensive. Gaps are too small for most rotary wire brushes (be it on an angle grinder or in a drill). I didn't fancy dunking the whole assembly in the parts cleaner because removal of solvents from grease tends not to be as straightforward as you might hope.

So a slow process was adopted (as therapy for having to deal with middle men - all very well and good middle men but I prefer to deal with people who actually do stuff!)

After rust treatment I got it to a stage of having a first coat of Eastwood Rust Encapsulator today. Tomorrow I'll be checking to see if it will stick.
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 15:49   #647
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Busy busy with housing requirements...

...only had a few nano seconds to get on with a bit of welding that should have been done long before now.

It is getting close to be warm enough for paint again (!)

(Seem to be having trouble adding more pictures - I'll try again some other time)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 front lh wing repairs and derusting2.JPG (134.9 KB, 71 views)
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 14:07   #648
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Nothing wrong with the site...

...everything wrong with me!

I forgot to resize the pictures so they wouldn't upload (!)

Back to a bit of de-rusting and welding on the front left hand wing. If I could have found a decent metal replacement for reasonable cash I would have considered it

It is pretty ropy bit of mush in several places

Old Apr 18th, 2019, 14:37   #649
Derek UK
VOC Member

Nice job. Looks like you have a few more similar "inserts" to do but the price of a decent wing means that if you can do repairs to that standard you will be saving yourself quite a lot of money. In fact, buying a few similar wings and repairing them could make you money.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 05:15   #650
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Nice job. Looks like you have a few more similar "inserts" to do but the price of a decent wing means that if you can do repairs to that standard you will be saving yourself quite a lot of money. In fact, buying a few similar wings and repairing them could make you money.
I'm not sure if there's a market for repaired stuff

It is pretty time intensive and fairly consumable intensive too. Despite my best efforts there always seems to be a bit of old bitumen somewhere that catches on fire and messes up my TIG electrodes. I spend a lot of time re-grinding and cleaning weld areas...

...here's making an oval hole for the indicator slightly less oval

All of these repairs are only made to a "will need a smidge of filler" standard. I haven't got the patience to make them really good.