Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Guy with a 122S in Mexico... and with a few doubts

Views : 5514

Replies : 76

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2019, 17:27   #21
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I would not worry about the changes, it looks great as it is. I would only make changes if you prefer how it will look with the change.

64 is a bit of a cross over year for a lot of features.

The wheels would have been solid and most commonly painted in body colour. That is regardless of drum or disk brakes.

Radiator should have a tube for the chain that would have operated the blind.

Dash top has been changed

64 would normally also have the dash extend around onto the door tops

Bumpers should have overriders.

It is all minor details
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 18:16   #22
Derek UK
VOC Member

The rather nice extensions from the dash to the doors were carried over from the B16 to the B18 in 1962 but were dropped later that year. I think it was a case of Volvo just using them up and changing when they ran out. I think they ran out before the start of the next model year. A pity as they are very neat. Beware if you try and retrofit them as the ends of the dash cover are different from the later ones. The proper ones are shaped to transition to the door trims. These aren't available as repros. Early dash tops last a lot better than later ones as the later ones are made in a different way.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 20:23   #23
vmg

Thank you very much guys!, on the help and on the great opinion on the car. I am learning a lot!

Answering a few questions in no particular order: Yes, I love the car and have been enjoying it a lot, and it is good to know what is correct and what not. Time will tell if I ever find and install the correct parts. Truth is I am a purist, but will never show the car on any judged concours. I like to have cars back to as correct as possible and then use them as much as I can. This one will be one of the "daily" drivers, with a Porsche 912, Citroen DS21, 1964 Buick Riviera and a few others.

So, the main things I am making a note on is that I would like to find a set of correct wheels and hubcaps to return the car to it's original aspect... and, yes, also the overriders.

I have other doubts but perhaps I should treat them separately.... next post.

Thank you all for your help,
Victor
vmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 20:29   #24
vmg

Doubt: Windshield washer. My car is missing it.

I would need to purchase the windshield washer installation, but I have a big doubt here: I understand there is an earlier and a later type... which one was used for 1964?

And the actuator switch, is it the third step on the wiper switch?

I am leaving some pics of the outlets it has next to the wipers and also of both sides of the engine bay, showing no particular holes that I can see, other than the ones covered by rubber caps (one missing). Where is the windshield washer assembly supposed to be?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19.03, 1964 Volvo 122S, vmg (3).JPG (158.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 19.03, 1964 Volvo 122S, vmg (5).JPG (76.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 19.03, 1964 Volvo 122S, vmg (6).JPG (80.9 KB, 12 views)
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 22:25   #25
Derek UK
VOC Member

The holes could well be for the round bottle holder and pump. They are separate on your year car. Later ones had the pump in the top of a squarer bottle which was mounted on the other side. Many earlier cars have had the later fitted as the pumps are more reliable, partly due to age, and more readily available. Yes, the pump works on the third position on the wiper switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amazon W Washers.jpg (260.4 KB, 8 views)
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 01:16   #26
vmg

Thank you Derek!, So, the round deposit with separate pump... now I know what to look for!... though I have to say it puzzles a bit that it does not show the holes for attaching the parts. I will take a closer look.

The switch puzzles me a bit, as I am just guessing that if the wipers are working and you pull it to the third stop and not return it to the first or second stops, the pump would continue to go on... strange, but I am sure I will find out soon.

Last edited by vmg; Mar 12th, 2019 at 01:43.
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 08:37   #27
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Victor;

Detail of Wiper Switch wiring for 122:

Source: http://www.sw-em.com/Windshield%20Wiper%20Systems.htm

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 20:09   #28
old fart
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmg View Post
Thank you Derek!, So, the round deposit with separate pump... now I know what to look for!... though I have to say it puzzles a bit that it does not show the holes for attaching the parts. I will take a closer look.

The switch puzzles me a bit, as I am just guessing that if the wipers are working and you pull it to the third stop and not return it to the first or second stops, the pump would continue to go on... strange, but I am sure I will find out soon.
You are right, that's how it works, just pull to the 3rd stop to wash, then return to 2nd or 1st for wiper only. I guess it saves having an extra switch.
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 10:49   #29
csm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmg View Post
Time for my first parts request for used parts... my wish list. Is there anybody that might have any of the following parts for sale:

1. Coil and ignition switch assembly, 12 volts. (by the way, is it the same one as in the P1800?)

2. Complete tool kit with bag

3. Owner´s manual, warrantee or service booklet and Plastic pouch

Thanks!
Victor

Victor,

Re Item 2:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Amazo...frcectupt=true

Good luck!

Cheers,

Chris
csm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 18:29   #30
vmg

Thank you guys! All very interesting information! and thanks for the link on the tools, but I will wait a bit to see if I can find something more affordable.

I have done general service to the car (oil, spark plugs, new cables, etc.) I intend to install a battery cut out switch (I always do it on my cars, hidden and accesible from the inside... for a possible emergency... and don't ask me how I know!) and also an electric fuel pump.

I am getting ready to purchase tires.

Is there a reccomended modern tire measure that will be the closest to what the cars origianally used?

Thanks!
Victor