Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towing

Views : 3158

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 21st, 2019, 14:18   #11
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
The towing with a diesel vs petrol debate is not as relevant if the car is an auto...

Even if you think 15-20mpg difference should not be debated- you’re still wrong.. 130Nm of difference between T5 and D5- and everything else (incl. gearbox..) equal.. But sure, one can tow with a 1.0 Nissan Micra..

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 23:23   #12
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLucan View Post

I cant wait to get my V90 D4 and start towing with it.
You’ll not be disappointed, the V90 is a superb towcar.
We saw 31 -32 mpg towing a 1350 Kg caravan last autumn on a 125 mile trip from Northumberland to Cumbria; on the A69 from Newcastle to Carlisle, the other traffic was holding us up!
60041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 01:45   #13
Quacker
Premier Member

Of course it should tow nicely with a 2 ton twin axle caravan behind. It has a stable suspension and 240hp and nearly 500Nm at very low revs after all. I used to tow such a van with a Range Rover. The MkI classic with a 112hp engine with 180Nm that had almost zero torque below 2200rpm. It towed just fine at the legal speed limit.

It’s just a pity that Volvo don’t have the same 3.5 ton limit as a Q7 and Touareg and Discovery. It could handle it easily, which makes me wonder just what is the weakest link that limits it to substantially less. Anyone know?
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 20:12   #14
warwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by renesis View Post
I had the electrical deployable tow bar fitted before I picked the car up for the cycle carrier. When it’s plugged in the car seems to default to a towing map which disables a lot of systems on the car which would make sense if towing a hefty load. However for just carrying a few bikes on the back I wish it would just remain in normal mode. Anybody else found this when towing?
What do you mean by defaulting to a towing map?????
warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 23:08   #15
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warwick View Post
What do you mean by defaulting to a towing map?????
Most modern automatics detect when a trailer is connected to the electrical socket, usually 13 pin these days, and changes the engine and transmission mapping so that it goes into towing mode. This works whether it is in D or Sport mode. It makes the vehicle hold onto a lower ratio for longer and may also provide enhanced downhill downward early gearchanges and hold those gears for longer for better engine braking. It could also lock out top gear, which Sport mode also does on some brands and models.

It will also switch on trailer sway control and alter suspension characteristics if air springs are fitted. On a very few vehicles it may also alter the parameters and range of the blind spot monitoring.
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 18:32   #16
ukden

Bought my XC60 specifically for towing. Last three cars have been Landrovers, FL1, D3, and FL2 all diesels. When towing the caravan (currently 1600 Kg) the XC60 is the equal of any of them even the Disco. The car is refined and the towing is effortless.

However, in terms of fuel consumption the XC60 is way ahead.
Consumption when towing caravan:
Discovery 3 (194 HP, manual) 20-22 mpg
Freelander 2 ( 187 HP, auto) 23-25 mpg,
XC60 (187 HP, auto) 30-32 mpg.

Current overall consumption of the XC60 is just over 39 MPG after 15,000 miles of which 3,800 having towing either 1600 Kg of caravan or 1800 Kg of boat.

Previously: MY2018 XC60 Momentum D4 Auto, Winter Pack, Volvo On Call, Rear camera, Electric deployable towbar, Tempa spare wheel.
ukden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ukden For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 20:57   #17
warwick

Just towed van for a service for first time today with an XC60 D5 only 10` each way but impressive enough plenty of power and overall the car is a good medium between comfortable solo and not bouncy towing.
warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 21:06   #18
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
Most modern automatics detect when a trailer is connected to the electrical socket, usually 13 pin these days, and changes the engine and transmission mapping so that it goes into towing mode. This works whether it is in D or Sport mode. It makes the vehicle hold onto a lower ratio for longer and may also provide enhanced downhill downward early gearchanges and hold those gears for longer for better engine braking. It could also lock out top gear, which Sport mode also does on some brands and models.

It will also switch on trailer sway control and alter suspension characteristics if air springs are fitted. On a very few vehicles it may also alter the parameters and range of the blind spot monitoring.
On Volvo it completely switches off blind spot monitoring, and there is no way to override. Annoying when all you have is a cycle rack on the back!,
The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 12:59   #19
Mavi57

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
On Volvo it completely switches off blind spot monitoring, and there is no way to override. Annoying when all you have is a cycle rack on the back!,
When there are no bikes on it or when I charge bikes and the lichts of the car are visible I don't plug in.
Mavi57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 15:20   #20
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
You have a factory (folding..) towbar? The bike rack has auxiliary lights- ie. it’s plugged in?

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote