Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Motor holiday to France

Views : 3376

Replies : 59

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 18th, 2019, 10:56   #41
Whippy
Premier Member

Look out for signs indicating 'camping municipal' nearly every town of any size has one on the outskirts, lower prices, less glitzy, used by the French (and Germans) well maintained and usually in a nice spot.
Whippy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whippy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 12:10   #42
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
tell me about it..
whole week now as i`m looking for half decent tent-accepting camping either south or southern part of west coast of france..

and its always same.. either the place is crap, or charges charges charges..

i mean- come on.. 800 euros for TENT for 10 nights?!?!
Where abouts are you looking at, bear in mind that the Vendée is generally regarded as being like Newquay for groups of lads etc and if you want peace n quiet best avoided. What region?
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 12:41   #43
pagan8c
Master Member

If you are going to Brittany as I did last year, you will find there are no toll roads in Brittany itself so I used the A routes a lot when visiting places in Brittany. The motorway route from Calais down to Brittany is pretty straight forward and didn't cost that much in tolls and because of the cruising ability I saved a lot on fuel this way. (managed 43mpg in my XC90 at 70mph using cruise with assist a lot of the time).
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pagan8c For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 12:49   #44
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
Where abouts are you looking at, bear in mind that the Vendée is generally regarded as being like Newquay for groups of lads etc and if you want peace n quiet best avoided. What region?
Well.. Need to learn the regions first to name them

But let's say..
From Ile d'Oleron south, along the coast, preferably close to the coast, but an hours drive from it won't be the end of the world.

Then the second part is the south coast.
Wifey says close to Cannes, I say "I'm not made of money". Again, all that coast is being considered, maybe even 2 hours drive from water.

What I'm trying to do is to agree several worlds to cooperate.
Daughter being a " water-monkey" will want biggest pools/aquaparks possible, ON SITE.
I'm like cat- aversion to water, sunbathing.. But (far from being a priority) if I could go out at low tide and try to fetch some clams all by myself..
Wifey wants "famous" places. Not considering lashes that it would give to my wallet

And most of all - access to local produce. Seafood, wines, pastries, cheeses..

Says it all, really..

And maybe explains why if it wasn't for night noises, we'd happily go to St Palaus again.

Anyway- I'm shuffling trough Vacansoleil, some look promising.

Any advice, idea, still welcomed
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 14:03   #45
Whippy
Premier Member

Try looking around Sete, wonderful beach, lots to keep the kids amused, wonderful fish restaurants, not TOO expensive. Easy motorway access. If you stayed at somewhere like Claremont de herault it's only half an hour away, plus all the amenities of a large town. Anywhere Provencal is a nightmare in season although you could look at the stretch of coast between Cassis and Toulon. Cassis is lovely and La Ciotat's nice, slightly inland you could stay at Aubagne although it all becomes horribly busy late July and August.

Southwest coast? Either Arcachon or Biarritz.
The Following User Says Thank You to Whippy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 17:26   #46
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I've lost track a little of who is going and when but if it is in August then avoid the South of France entirely. If not August then look up Prairies de la Mer, Port Grimaud. Brilliant spot and an ideal base to see the whole coastline. We had a few holidays there end of May / beginning of June and driving around was a doddle.

If you don't want to go as far down then the Dordorgne is stunning, Sarlat wonderful. Likely to be chocca in August but then you can take that as read for all nice place in France in August. I had two great holidays in Sarlat, also had my most embarassing ever alcohol incident there so I have slightly mixed feelings in the end. One day I will return and atone.

I worked in the offices at Eurocamp many years ago and the rule of thumb was that campsites got worse the further south you went, don't forget they are tenants on a site, they don't control it. Prairies is an exception to that rule but it is worth bearing in mind in terms of expectations. Things may well have changed of course, it was a good few years ago after all.
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 17:47   #47
Whippy
Premier Member

If you go to the Dordogne I can recommend the campsite at grolejac, just south of the river. Good facilities including a lake with a beach. Take the wife for a canoe trip down the River Dordogne, she'll love you forever.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Whippy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 01:05   #48
SignumGB
XC70 Owner/VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan8c View Post
If you are going to Brittany as I did last year, you will find there are no toll roads in Brittany itself so I used the A routes a lot when visiting places in Brittany. The motorway route from Calais down to Brittany is pretty straight forward and didn't cost that much in tolls and because of the cruising ability I saved a lot on fuel this way. (managed 43mpg in my XC90 at 70mph using cruise with assist a lot of the time).

Taking the ferry from Plymouth to Roscoff. Avoiding Calais altogether. With this route, it's a short drive to the Eurocamp site we are going to.

2012 Volvo XC70 3.0L AWD T6 [CAN🍁]
2015 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D4 SE LUX - Sold 78,728 Miles (July 2023) [GB]
2012 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D3 SE LUX - Written off 76,500 Miles (Aug 2017)[GB]
SignumGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 21:28   #49
Donnington123

Just be very aware! Direct Line sent out a comprehensive Q&A list this week including:

Q19 Do I need to do anything with my number plate?
EU GB number plates will no longer be valid. These are plates with a “GB” country identifier (or other UK variations, e.g. Cymru) surrounded by the EU star design. You will need to have a GB (or other UK variation) sticker or a number plate without the EU stars.
Donnington123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 14:37   #50
GMcL
0's and 1's

We are booked on a ferry from Zeebrugge to Hull on Sat. 13th April. If the 12th is the leaving date then it should be entertaining.

It's a shame no one appears to have looked at the calendar and realised the 12th is one week before Easter, the first major holiday since Christmas.

Interesting times indeed.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is online now   Reply With Quote