Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70/Volvo Heater Blowers

Views : 552

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 21st, 2019, 12:06   #1
FredGraham

Default C70/Volvo Heater Blowers

Hi All

Bit of info needed as I can,t find anything in the owners manual. When you set the temperature to say 21 degrees and the blower starts blowing warm air, when the temperature is reached or passed does it start to blow out cooler air or is there possibly a fault. Turn the temp. up and it immediately blows hotter air. I'm asking this as I don't really have a clue about the workings of my car and every day almost brings a new learning experience.
FredGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 13:20   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredGraham View Post
Hi All

Bit of info needed as I can,t find anything in the owners manual. When you set the temperature to say 21 degrees and the blower starts blowing warm air, when the temperature is reached or passed does it start to blow out cooler air or is there possibly a fault. Turn the temp. up and it immediately blows hotter air. I'm asking this as I don't really have a clue about the workings of my car and every day almost brings a new learning experience.
it always tries to maintain say 21 C as quickly as possible ,- when it gets there the temperature from the vents decreases but there will still be a small air flow , it depends on the outside temperature how warm and how fast this "maintaining" air flow is .. ..
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 13:23   #3
zapcity1

Quote:
Hi All

My XC70 does exactly this. Really annoying. Floor vents continue to blow hot and dash/screen chucks out cold air.

Doesn't happen on my XC60 or C70 though. No faults on VIDA either.

At least it's not just me!!
The Following User Says Thank You to zapcity1 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 17:55   #4
FredGraham

Ok, thanks to Clan & zapcity for the info. but I have been left slightly puzzled. This is due to being a technophobe! Which way is the correct way to work. I ask this as my C70 works differently to zapcity's C70, however he has one car that works the same and 2 that don't. Is it dependant on your model?
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 14:46   #5
zapcity1

Quote:
Ok, thanks to Clan & zapcity for the info. but I have been left slightly puzzled. This is due to being a technophobe! Which way is the correct way to work. I ask this as my C70 works differently to zapcity's C70, however he has one car that works the same and 2 that don't. Is it dependant on your model?
Hi Fred,

I've read a few threads on here from others that seem to have similar heating 'issues'.

To clarify, my XC70 from cold will heat the cabin as normal. All vents provide hot air up to set temp.

Once the set cabin temp is reached, the windscreen, top and dash vents then emit cold air (as Clan says this varies on the outside temp.). On most days this air is very, very cold and is emitted at quite a rate (about fan speed 4).

It is enough for anyone unfamiliar to ask why its so cold and draughty in the car, even when set at 23-25. During this time, the footwell vents continue to emit hot air.

Measuring the cabin temp. at the sensor, it matches the set point due to it being nearer the floor and picking up the hot airflow from the floor vent, but the dash top is lower by 2-3 degrees. As the air emitted from the dash top is cold and fast moving, it feels much colder anyway.

I get around this by switching to manual hot air from the dash vents only, increasing the temp. and reducing the fan speed to min. This cuts off the cold air emitting from the top of the dash by creating a hot air barrier.

My XC60 and C70 when reaching the set temp., just emit a very gentle airflow that is similar to the cabin temp., so no noticeable cold airflow.
The Following User Says Thank You to zapcity1 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 15:20   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapcity1 View Post
Hi Fred,

I've read a few threads on here from others that seem to have similar heating 'issues'.

To clarify, my XC70 from cold will heat the cabin as normal. All vents provide hot air up to set temp.

Once the set cabin temp is reached, the windscreen, top and dash vents then emit cold air (as Clan says this varies on the outside temp.). On most days this air is very, very cold and is emitted at quite a rate (about fan speed 4).

It is enough for anyone unfamiliar to ask why its so cold and draughty in the car, even when set at 23-25. During this time, the footwell vents continue to emit hot air.

Measuring the cabin temp. at the sensor, it matches the set point due to it being nearer the floor and picking up the hot airflow from the floor vent, but the dash top is lower by 2-3 degrees. As the air emitted from the dash top is cold and fast moving, it feels much colder anyway.

I get around this by switching to manual hot air from the dash vents only, increasing the temp. and reducing the fan speed to min. This cuts off the cold air emitting from the top of the dash by creating a hot air barrier.

My XC60 and C70 when reaching the set temp., just emit a very gentle airflow that is similar to the cabin temp., so no noticeable cold airflow.
That is found to be the best way of removing mist and damp from the inside of the screen , this was discovered in tests by by Lucas way back in the 1960's when heaters were first fitted as standard . Warm is not necessarily better . cool air at face level keeps you fresh and awake . Today with AC the incoming demisting air is also dry which helps even more .
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 15:32   #7
FredGraham

Thanks to you both, in short, it would appear my heater blower is working as it should and I just need to get used to it and adjust as required. Oh happy days.
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 15:35   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks to you both, in short, it would appear my heater blower is working as it should and I just need to get used to it and adjust as required. Oh happy days.
Indeed , it is best to set it to 20C ( or within a couple of degrees either way) and let it get on with it , you have to tolerate the high fan speed for a few minutes when you start your journey though ...
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 15:39   #9
FredGraham

Thanks Clan, just checking something not mentioned. I'm normally at 21 degrees, but not with the AC on, can't remember last time I used AC.
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 15:42   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks Clan, just checking something not mentioned. I'm normally at 21 degrees, but not with the AC on, can't remember last time I used AC.
if the outside is cooler than 21 c the AC won't come on , if the outside is over 21C ( Like last summer ! ) It will come on to reduce the temp to 21 C . Also the AC Comes on when the system is defrosting , so best leave AC switch on all the time … AUTO does that for you anyway ..