Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Windows opening during the night

Views : 4259

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2021, 08:59   #1
Gazdkw
Master Member

Default Windows opening during the night

Its not the first time I have left the house in the morning and noticed all my windows open. The first few times I thought maybe I had lent on the open door button which would open all the windows.

Usually before I go to bed I press the I button which indicates if the car is locked. I would assume if the doors are locked but windows all down it would still indicate the vehicle is locked and I would then leave it and go to bed.

I need to find out if the the windows are just opening by themselves.

Has anyone heard of something similar?
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 17:28   #2
reggit
Premier Member

I think my sisters car used to randomly do that, wasn’t a Volvo though. Think she fixed it by trading it in for another 😂

I’d suggest keeping all your key fobs in a tin box or other faraday cage and as far from the car as possible overnight. Should rule out a dodgy switch in a key fob commanding the windows to open.
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 23:10   #3
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I didn't know that there was a way for the key fob to remotely open windows. It will unlock doors but if after 30 seconds or so you do not open any of the doors, the car relocks itself. The real security risk is remotely opening the tailgate on a V or XC as this will not close itself. However I don't see how the fob opens windows, or have I missed something since buying the car?
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 23:49   #4
ferg55

press and hold unlock for about 5 seconds, all windows go down and sunroof opens if fitted. I'm not sure it works in reverse.
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ferg55 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 23:58   #5
Jms153

Yes it works in reverse by holding the lock button again for 5 secs and all the windows close
Great feature for hot summer days to quickly ventilate your car

Regarding windows opening during the night maybe something was pressing on the unlock button on key fob
Jms153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2021, 09:14   #6
eternal optimist
Master Member

I knew someone who parked their new Cavalier SRi on a beach in 1989. When he cam back, the tide was up to the top of the wheels. It kept rising (much to the growing crowd’s amusement) and just as it reached about the height of the door mirrors, all four windows rolled down. The crowd went nuts.

I always wondered if there was some kind of sensor somewhere which detected submersion of some kind or if he wanted to reduce his embarrassment at having parked somewhere dumb then compounding it by leaving without shutting the windows.

Last edited by eternal optimist; Jan 10th, 2021 at 09:17.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2021, 12:34   #7
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Well you learn something new every day! So I went out and tested this window opening feature and now I am disturbed by what I think is poor design by Volvo. If you remotely unlock the car and do not enter it, the locks are reapplied after an interval which is adjustable in the settings menu. If you unlock the car and continue to hold the unlock button, as ferg55 says, the windows also open. In my case it is just the rear windows and not the front windows or the sunroof. If you do not enter the car, after the interval the locks reapply but the windows remain open, which is truly stupid!

So now I am aware that both the accidental remote opening of the tailgate and the rear windows are not remotely reversible and are not automatically reversed if the car is not entered. This is poor software design and so it must be possible that a degradation in the fob circuitry can initiate these actions. Sometimes you'd like to meet the designer of such systems face to face and let him know what you think of his work!
Old Jan 10th, 2021, 13:50   #8
reggit
Premier Member

I’ve just tried the same thing, all my windows open but the sunroof doesn’t and they don’t go back up when the doors auto lock.
Don’t have the auto opening tailgate, so that’s at least one thing I don’t need to worry about.
Old Jan 10th, 2021, 16:33   #9
JRL
Master Member

I had exactly this on a 99 Passat many years ago. Lock the car and walk away and come back to find car unlocked and all the windows down. Finally traced it to a faulty micro switch in the driver's door lock. So it may not be just the fob that is acting up.