Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Good price on Volvo service parts!

Views : 2599

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2021, 16:46   #11
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I wish I was! However, the local parts store to me (just a small independent shop) has been very good to me over the years, so I support them. As its only up the road, I can collect whatever I order usually within the hour & no faffing around waiting for deliveries.
It's good to have something like that local - I'd pay that extra 35p to retain it, too!
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2021, 18:11   #12
Bomster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
They're generally non activated carbon and thinner than ECC filters.
When I did a service on an XC90 here, the non ECC filter was fitted so I installed the correct one.
Mahle is generally the maker of genuine Volvo cabin filters but having used them too, Mann just as good I'm sure.
Thanks for that info! Will take a look at Mann and Mahle for the pollen filter when it comes to my next service for sure.

Quote:
Mann filters are great. You'll save a few quid by buying a Mann filter in its own packaging, as opposed to the same filter in Volvo packaging, Lets be honest, the filter Volvo sell you is a Mann one anyway! Being truthful, you aren't going to save a fortune either, but its money in your pocket all the same. A saving is a saving in my book!

There's two types of filter, a charcoal one (dark grey colour) & a non-charcoal (pure white). I buy the cheaper (non-charcoal/white) one, as I replace them regularly due to my allergies. The carbon filter is dearer, but any time I've had a car serviced, they put the cheaper one in anyway! A dealership probably would put the dearer charcoal filter in though if they were servicing the car, but it makes no difference to me because I frequently change the pollen filter anyway. As my car hasn't been to the dealership for servicing since I've owned it, I've found the cheaper filter fine being honest.

Pollen filters are often a forgotten item... many people just leave them for years on end! I wouldn't & couldn't for that matter, as I'm very sensitive to dust etc. I change mine every year usually.
Couldn't agree more ref buying the same filters without the Volvo packaging, will definitely be going Mann for the oil filter next time, I see it's £7 delivered on Amazon!

Ref the pollen filter, I'm of the same mind, it's a quality (and probably length!) of life improvement. I did a bit of reading earlier today on the benefits of the active carbon, seems there is lots of science behind how they work, pulling out more pollutants from the air vs a regular filter. Might be worth going for on your next service?
Bomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2021, 21:51   #13
Montana
Master Member

I bought a couple of these oil filters , genuine for £4.99

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124123369476

Previous: 2006 XC90 D5 , 2008 V50 2.0D
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Montana For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2021, 21:57   #14
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomster View Post
Thanks for that info! Will take a look at Mann and Mahle for the pollen filter when it comes to my next service for sure.

Couldn't agree more ref buying the same filters without the Volvo packaging, will definitely be going Mann for the oil filter next time, I see it's £7 delivered on Amazon!

Ref the pollen filter, I'm of the same mind, it's a quality (and probably length!) of life improvement. I did a bit of reading earlier today on the benefits of the active carbon, seems there is lots of science behind how they work, pulling out more pollutants from the air vs a regular filter. Might be worth going for on your next service?
Being honest, I've never bought the carbon filter for any car I've owned. I've already purchased the oil filter, air filter, fuel filter (Mann) & the "non charcoal" pollen filter (also Mann). I haven't read up on the benefits of the active carbon pollen filters, but I suppose its something I should do because like I mentioned before, I do suffer from allergies quite badly & the carbon filter probably is better.

I know this may sound daft, but I can pretty much smell when the filter needs to be changed & even start sneezing on some occasions (hence why I change mine regularly). I remember in my Dad's last car, I got into it & said there was a smell of dust when the vents were blowing air. He hadn't owned it long at the time, but I said to him that the pollen filter needs to be changed as soon as. So I changed it for him & my goodness, the pollen filter was disgusting. He couldn't smell anything though!

Just on the subject of Mann filters... I've found that the oil filter doesn't seem to come with a new sump plug washer & I have to buy one separately. Its not the end of the world, but that's something in my experience that I've noticed with every Mann oil filter I've purchased. That aside, the filters are excellent.

Does anyone know where I can buy a set of sump plug washers that fit the S80 & V70 P3's? They'd be handy to have in the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana View Post
I bought a couple of these oil filters , genuine for £4.99

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124123369476
That's a bargain!

Last edited by Kev0607; Jan 5th, 2021 at 22:05.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2021, 22:25   #15
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Only comment I would make here is that I have always achieved a v.good price when selling my used cars privately as I retain all service records written up in a folder with date and mileage.

In my instance I have about 12 pages of official ‘Volvo’ headed invoices and have probably paid less than £125 for the privilege.

I believe I will more than recoup that on a car probably still worth £8,000 or more (don’t know? 2012 SE Lux with 3 owners and great condition).

Now of course, if you buy your cars for sun 6K and run them into the ground no issues just buy Mann, Mahle and if needs must Framm.

I would agree to not bother with cross land. That stuff is sun standard.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2021, 00:48   #16
Bomster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Only comment I would make here is that I have always achieved a v.good price when selling my used cars privately as I retain all service records written up in a folder with date and mileage.

In my instance I have about 12 pages of official ‘Volvo’ headed invoices and have probably paid less than £125 for the privilege.

I believe I will more than recoup that on a car probably still worth £8,000 or more (don’t know? 2012 SE Lux with 3 owners and great condition).

Now of course, if you buy your cars for sun 6K and run them into the ground no issues just buy Mann, Mahle and if needs must Framm.

Yeah they are my thoughts too. In most situations with a car at this point in it's depreciation curve you are better off:

1. You keep the car 'forever', obviously better saving the money and doing it yourself.

2. You keep it medium term and do enough services yourself that any potential loss in value is offset by the cost savings of doing it yourself.

3. You sell it short term, it's just a case of waiting for someone sensible who can tell the car is enthusiast owned, and DIY services are backed up with receipts/reports. I know when I'm buying a car, I'd actually see this is a positive vs most cars which have a history of being services at unknown garages/Kwik Fit etc. They are usually the same owners who have mechanical sympathy for their cars; let the oil come up to temp before 'booting it', let the car cool down after a hard run, don't leave it idling unnecessarily etc.

The only was you lose is if you trade the car in, as they will never accept DIY services.

Overall though it's just satisfying knowing the job has been done correctly, using the best parts. The cherry on top is the cost saving.

Quote:
Does anyone know where I can buy a set of sump plug washers that fit the S80 & V70 P3's? They'd be handy to have in the garage.
That would definitely be handy! I see it usually ends up costing like £3 once posted for that washer, which isn't too much money but seems a bit excessive for what must be about 2 pence worth of metal haha.

Last edited by Bomster; Jan 6th, 2021 at 00:53.
Bomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2021, 22:00   #17
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post

Mann manufacture high quality filters & supply them to Volvo. There's no difference between the filter you buy from Volvo & the filter you buy in Mann packaging... they're identical. The only difference is the filter you buy from the dealership will be in a Volvo box & have a Volvo stamp on the filter itself. Look closely & it'll say Mann stamped on it too. So by purchasing a 'genuine' part, you're actually paying more for the same part that someone else (Mann) produced, just because its in Volvo packaging.

There's nothing wrong with using Mann filters on any Volvo, regardless of its value. They made the filters for Volvo in the first place! All you're paying for by getting parts from the dealership is the blue Volvo box & paying a higher price for a part that was made by someone else.
Old Jan 6th, 2021, 22:10   #18
Kev0607
Premier Member

@Bomster

Agreed. Volvo certainly know how to charge for them!
Old Jan 6th, 2021, 22:25   #19
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Mann manufacture high quality filters & supply them to Volvo. There's no difference between the filter you buy from Volvo & the filter you buy in Mann packaging... they're identical. The only difference is the filter you buy from the dealership will be in a Volvo box & have a Volvo stamp on the filter itself. Look closely & it'll say Mann stamped on it too. So by purchasing a 'genuine' part, you're actually paying more for the same part that someone else (Mann) produced, just because its in Volvo packaging.

There's nothing wrong with using Mann filters on any Volvo, regardless of its value. They made the filters for Volvo in the first place! All you're paying for by getting parts from the dealership is the blue Volvo box & paying a higher price for a part that was made by someone else.
The ‘Volvo’ filters I buy do indeed have ‘Mann’ on them. However with my Volvo still worth around £9,000, and with me servicing it myself at £15,000 purchase price I believe that the very small premium I have paid for the parts (I only pay £10 or £15 quid more for the oil, filter and washer) mean that I may get a better resale price when I sell it. I also fit it with matching good quality tyres etc.

A stack of genuine ‘Volvo’ headed invoices does tend to speak volumes when listed privately as while you and I know the Mann connection most buyers simply see Volvo or ‘something else’.

I have always had much much cheaper cars and always used motaquip which I found good quality.
Old Jan 6th, 2021, 22:27   #20
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
@Bomster

Agreed. Volvo certainly know how to charge for them!
I find Volvo really reasonable for the older cars.