Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Good price on Volvo service parts!

Views : 2593

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 6th, 2021, 23:15   #21
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
The ‘Volvo’ filters I buy do indeed have ‘Mann’ on them. However with my Volvo still worth around £9,000, and with me servicing it myself at £15,000 purchase price I believe that the very small premium I have paid for the parts (I only pay £10 or £15 quid more for the oil, filter and washer) mean that I may get a better resale price when I sell it. I also fit it with matching good quality tyres etc.

A stack of genuine ‘Volvo’ headed invoices does tend to speak volumes when listed privately as while you and I know the Mann connection most buyers simply see Volvo or ‘something else’.

I have always had much much cheaper cars and always used motaquip which I found good quality.
I see what you mean. My car isn't worth as much as yours, but has been very well looked after. It had full Volvo dealership history up until 2018 or 2019 (I can't remember exactly off hand), then I've used an independent Volvo garage up until last year. The service book is fully stamped & I keep all the receipts to show a potential purchaser.

As my car is now nearly 14 years old, bringing it to garages for servicing & paying the labour charges etc for doing so doesn't seem worth it. I've decided to service it myself from now on. I'll bring it to the independent garage for anything I can't fix myself though. I'll write what I've done in the service book for my own records/future sale & keep the receipts.

Quote:
I find Volvo really reasonable for the older cars.
I was referring to the sump plug washers. It'd be handy if I could buy some fairly cheap to keep in my garage. Volvo want just shy of £3 for one! I want my own stash of them to use for oil changes on my car & my Dad's V70.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jan 6th, 2021 at 23:19.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2021, 23:21   #22
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I see what you mean. My car isn't worth as much as yours, but has been very well looked after. It had full Volvo dealership history up until 2018 or 2019 (I can't remember exactly off hand), then I've used an independent Volvo garage up until last year. The service book is fully stamped & I keep all the receipts to show a potential purchaser.

As my car is now nearly 14 years old, bringing it to garages for servicing & paying the labour charges etc for doing so doesn't seem worth it. I've decided to service it myself from now on. I'll bring it to the independent garage for anything I can't fix myself though. I'll write what I've done in the service book for my own records/future sale & keep the receipts.
That’s what I always do, it helps you to keep track.

Granted at 14 years old it’s not worth going with Volvo and it that instance I wouldn’t either.

I was servicing mine when I bought it at 5 years of age 😳! But over the next two or three years, should I keep it, I may well move to cheaper parts.

You may just suprise yourself if you phone the dealers. Some parts from Volvo direct can be very similar if not the Same price as the OEM.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 07:43   #23
MCFastybloke

Quote:

I was referring to the sump plug washers. It'd be handy if I could buy some fairly cheap to keep in my garage. Volvo want just shy of £3 for one! I want my own stash of them to use for oil changes on my car & my Dad's V70.

I could do with some too
MCFastybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 10:42   #24
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:

That’s a good point, that’s where we may see value differently. Even at £3 I must admit I would buy 3 of them and not be bothered about less than £10.00.

I accept they probably cost 10p each to make however! 🤪
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 16:01   #25
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
That’s what I always do, it helps you to keep track.

Granted at 14 years old it’s not worth going with Volvo and it that instance I wouldn’t either.

I was servicing mine when I bought it at 5 years of age ��! But over the next two or three years, should I keep it, I may well move to cheaper parts.

You may just suprise yourself if you phone the dealers. Some parts from Volvo direct can be very similar if not the Same price as the OEM.
You could stick with Mann parts, as opposed to buying "genuine". We know Mann make the filters for Volvo, so you'd be buying the same thing in essence, except it won't be in a Volvo box.

Quote:
That’s a good point, that’s where we may see value differently. Even at £3 I must admit I would buy 3 of them and not be bothered about less than £10.00.

I accept they probably cost 10p each to make however! ��
I suppose so. I might get some (four or so) from the dealership & keep them for future. Unless anyone knows where you can get them cheaper?
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 17:08   #26
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
You could stick with Mann parts, as opposed to buying "genuine". We know Mann make the filters for Volvo, so you'd be buying the same thing in essence, except it won't be in a Volvo box.

I suppose so. I might get some (four or so) from the dealership & keep them for future. Unless anyone knows where you can get them cheaper?
M12 copper crushable washers?

If so, eBay is your discount friend.
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 19:22   #27
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:

When I sell my Volvo it will have about 10 official Volvo invoices for parts. Those 10 official invoices probably cost me £120.00 more than auto factors/ Euro car parts and I will probably get more than £120 back from the sale of the car.

That’s the theory anyway.!
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 21:42   #28
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
M12 copper crushable washers?

If so, eBay is your discount friend.
I'm not sure of the exact name. I think the sump plug washer is the same size on the V70 & S80 P3 chassis.
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 21:58   #29
MCFastybloke

I have some oil filters coming with washers, Gen items for a fiver each on ebay. I can measure the washer when it comes
MCFastybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 22:04   #30
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
I have some oil filters coming with washers, Gen items for a fiver each on ebay. I can measure the washer when it comes
That would be great, thanks.

Or, if anyone that has bought these sump plug washers online before & could post a link so I order the right ones! (For an S80/V70 P3 platform).

I've had a look on Ebay & a few of the listings I looked at say "This Listing is for 5 OE Volvo Sump Washers to replace 977751-7".

I believe the part number for the sump plug washer is 977751, with no '-7' mentioned.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jan 7th, 2021 at 22:09.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote