Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine cuts out while driving

Views : 874

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 6th, 2021, 18:33   #1
Dazvolvo

Cool Engine cuts out while driving

My first post here so apologies if I break any etiquette rules!
My 2002 V70 D5 Diesel randomly cuts out while driving at any speed. It’s happened at 70mph or 15mph. All the warning lights come on briefly and then the car seems to jump start itself again and carries on. If I’m going under 10 mph the car doesn’t restart and then I’m forced to pull over. This has happened a few times in the last few days even though previously the cutting out was only happening very other week or so.
When I pull over after a cut out at lower speeds, I try to start the car but it does not fire up. The engine turns well but the engine management lights blink last quickly and it won’t start. If I wait about 3 to 5 minutes then try again it will start then.
I had a non Volvo dealer code read and will add to the post when I can find the pad I wrote it on a few weeks ago! It was something like 816 or 820 master circuit?? I’ll try and find it again. This led me to believe it was a fault on the CEM. I did some research and replaced the fuel pump relay on the CEM.
Still no fix.
I contacted Volvo diagnostics (as recommended on these forums) and (is it Lukas?) said it was rare for the CEM to be faulty on my Year, and whilst he’s happy to recondition it, it may not fix the problems, and that the other issues may not be related.

I’m hoping that if I lost the electrical issues that there is a common denominator between them and the cutting out! (Wishful thinking I know) and that someone will be able to help me hopefully.
As well as cutting out I have.
1) The radio source control knob often stops working in the same journey when the car cuts out!
2) The radio randomly changes sources between FM,
MW, Tape and CD whilst driving along.
3) The volume pot changes sources sometimes on the radio.
4) The volume pot sometimes doesn’t do anything and the sources pot changes the volume.

I know it could just be a dodgy radio unit, but these issues happen 9 times out of 10 when the car then cuts out.

5) Occasionally W hen I switch off the engine and remove the key, the dash lights stay lit up and the radio and heater fan still operate. I have to re-insert the key and turn on the ignition to position 2 then back off and remove the key around 10 times until all the lights go off and the fan and radio switch off. When the car is in this “mode” I get warnings to pull over immediately and check ABS break system, on the messages.

6) After every switch on, the gauges do not light up and the messages window is blank. I have to switch the main headlights on full and then back off again for the gauges to light up and message screen to be visible when switching on the messages.

7) The gauge lighting dimmer adjuster does not dim the gauges.
8) The rear wiper sometimes does not work
9) The messages sometimes says “alarm system
Service required” but not all the time.

Maybe none of these are connected issues and I’ve read up on ignition key antenna problems, CEM issues and DIM and Radio issue separately.
Maybe I have ALL these problems to be fair, it’s just that I can cope with the ransoms electrical issues until I get them sorted. It’s the cutting out and not restarting that is the main show stopper obviously!

If anyone can help I’d really appreciate any comments or links you may see, before I send off the CEM for refurbish as my first step towards shelling out to get some sanity back ;-)

Best regards and Happy New Year all.
Daz

Last edited by Dazvolvo; Jan 6th, 2021 at 18:54. Reason: Apologies if this is on the wrong forum for a V70 2002 can this be moved please? Not sure how to do that.
Dazvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2021, 23:48   #2
37 RUBY
Master Member

I'm sure someone better versed in the P2 platform will be along shortly but to me the change of action performed on your radio suggests a signal received that should not be there, ie shorted wires or tracking within the CEM from moisture whilst items such as the non working rear wiper could suggest earthing issues.

Start by checking every earth you can find. If you have one that is corroded or a cable that is sheared inside that could be the source of the weird change in functions and in turn a disruption of signals for the CEM followed by cutting out ?

Have you checked for corrosion at the CEM connector? Is your car damp inside by any chance?

That said a proper code read is in order first...and I would 're -post this in the correct section here https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19
Hopefully someone on there will have a better idea.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2021, 23:58   #3
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 RUBY View Post
I'm sure someone better versed in the P2 platform will be along shortly but to me the change of action performed on your radio suggests a signal received that should not be there, ie shorted wires or tracking within the CEM from moisture whilst items such as the non working rear wiper could suggest earthing issues.

Start by checking every earth you can find. If you have one that is corroded or a cable that is sheared inside that could be the source of the weird change in functions and in turn a disruption of signals for the CEM followed by cutting out ?

Have you checked for corrosion at the CEM connector? Is your car damp inside by any chance?

That said a proper code read is in order first...and I would 're -post this in the correct section here https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19
Hopefully someone on there will have a better idea.
Actually the more I think about this makes me think it's that ignition switch, the cutting out and electrical gremlins...I bet they all stem from the switch...I would check the output voltage at that dodgy ignition switch....
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 18:45   #4
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Without wanting to sound unfeeling, I agree with 37 Ruby that someone better versed in P2s might have the answer but that being so, you're in the wrong forum. This forum is for the later models and there will be more likely knowledgeable P2 owners on that forum: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19. To save yourself time and effort, why not cut and paste your original post into that forum and see if you get the required response?
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 21:15   #5
Dazvolvo

Thanks - genuine mistake on wrong forum. I’ll give that a copy paste. Thanks both 👍
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 21:20   #6
Dazvolvo

Smile

Btw I’ve ordered a new ignition switch and will fit that and see if that helps.

Tags
abs v70, cem failure, cutting out, ignition fault, radio problem