Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Touring Sweden in an old Volvo

Views : 1325

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 6th, 2021, 19:17   #1
taiwan740

Default Touring Sweden in an old Volvo

As above, little more than a thought I had while doing the dishes at the moment (obviously once stuff settles down)

Has anyone done this before? I've been to Stockholm and Uppsala a few times with work, but wondering if going up to the North is worth a trip and any suggestions/things to see etc.

Ta
taiwan740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2021, 19:18   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Never been but I have a dream of driving my 360... or 940... or 760... or other 360 😂 to Sweden and going to the Volvo museum in Gothenburg and touring Sweden. The fuel bill will be atrocious but worth it in my mind haha.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2021, 21:36   #3
taiwan740

The Řresund bridge/tunnel is also pretty pricey and I've heard the border controls can back up a bit, albeit it does look cool.

Realistically the price of fuel and ferry would easily offset flying over and buying one over there.
taiwan740 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taiwan740 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2021, 22:17   #4
EssexExile
Master Member

I'd tell you what it's like but I was there in 1972 so it may have changed a bit.
Old Jan 6th, 2021, 23:01   #5
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwan740 View Post
As above, little more than a thought I had while doing the dishes at the moment (obviously once stuff settles down)

Has anyone done this before? I've been to Stockholm and Uppsala a few times with work, but wondering if going up to the North is worth a trip and any suggestions/things to see etc.

Ta
I'm sure that you will feel very much at home, 'taiwan740', and never short of help if you are ever in trouble with your car.

I would always take a strong mosquito repellent; the little critters seem to get worse the further north one goes, especially close to water and at dusk!

Cross-country skiing is very popular in season and if you are there in March the Vasaloppet is well worth a visit, if only as a spectator!

If you like getting close to nature, you will be in your element; if you crave the bright lights, outside Stockholm and Göteborg, best forget it!

I fear that your biggest problem today may be getting there with the car now DFDS have discontinued their North Sea crossings - the alternative is a long drive through Europe.

Regards, John.
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 10:48   #6
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Never been but I have a dream of driving my 360... or 940... or 760... or other 360 😂 to Sweden and going to the Volvo museum in Gothenburg and touring Sweden. The fuel bill will be atrocious but worth it in my mind haha.
There are still many older Volvos in daily use over there, '360beast', especially in the more remote areas. Until comparatively recently it was not unusual to see an Amazon or 1 - series car; now the oldest that you will see is likely to be a 2 series. There also remain a great many early V70s in daily use, if they qualify as an older Volvo?

I think one reason for this is that the Swedes do not have a year identifier on their registration plates. Couple this with the fact that older Volvos, e.g. 1 and 2 series cars, changed little in their lifetime, most Swedes' lack of status consciousness with their 'if it isn't broken, don't fix it', mentality, and it is not difficult to see why this should be so.

Regarding fuel costs / consumption. When we were running an '81 244DL (2.1 Auto) it regularly returned an average of 23 MPG overall when used at home. On our first visit to Sweden it bettered 30 - long distances at constant speeds do wonders for fuel consumption.

It will probably not surprise to learn that we like the country so much that, before my heart attack, Covid, and now, although I haven't fully researched it, Brexit as well, we actively considered retiring there. It is easily possible to buy an equivalent property to one at home at one third of the price in the more remote areas.

Although we have a little Swedish, English is widely spoken there, so language is no barrier. If he should visit, 'taiwan740' will find the Swedes anxious to use their already excellent English!

Regards, John.
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 12:03   #7
xsaab
Master Member

I hitch hiked from Malmo to Kiruna in about 6 days via Stockholm in 1964 and then by train to Narvik and then hitched to Oslo to fly home.

Norway is more scenic. Sweden even then had a good road system. This was before Norway became the wealthiest country in the world.

Make sure you understand their traffic rules eg restrictions on vehicles because of the fuel used.
Have a good trip.
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 12:30   #8
EssexExile
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsaab View Post
I hitch hiked from Malmo to Kiruna in about 6 days via Stockholm in 1964 and then by train to Narvik and then hitched to Oslo to fly home.

Norway is more scenic. Sweden even then had a good road system. This was before Norway became the wealthiest country in the world.

Make sure you understand their traffic rules eg restrictions on vehicles because of the fuel used.
Have a good trip.
You trundle along the wide open expanses of empty tarmac at a nice 70mph or so - then the tarmac suddenly stops and you're on a gravel surface! It certainly wakes you up.
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 17:19   #9
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

About 5 years ago, we drove up through Benelux and Germany and took a ferry from Denmark to Norway. The return trip saw us pottering through Sweden. It was a great summer trip and is certainly to be recommended.

We don't usually book accommodation on our road trips, as we're never sure where we'll be. This can backfire in Scandinavia as the miles per B&B can be quite high. Also, we were caught out more than once by the long daylight hours.

Budgeting isn't difficult. The last time I looked, the Oresund Bridge cost about a fiver one way (well worth it), Swedish petrol is about the same as here in the UK, and accommodation is also good value.

Do it!

----------------------------------
Great spec; great build quality.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 21:20   #10
Dibble
VOC Member

Went with the VOC in 2008, Harwich to Denmark, across to Copenhagen then over to Gothenburg. Factory, Test Track, Museum. Brilliant. Up to Karlstad then Stockholm for a few days. Beautiful city with lovely friendly people then down to Kalmar and Malmo. 12 days in glorious sunshine then The Bridge. Again, quite stunning but if I remember correctly it was about 35 Euros each way. We loved it and the S80 did too.

I have been back to Gothenburg and Stockholm since but flying this time and I would go every year if I could!
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dibble For This Useful Post: