Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Auto Gearbox Repair

Views : 1778

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2021, 18:40   #21
sye73

Thanks again to all those who've contributed. Appreciated.

Predictably, this is becoming an even bigger headache! Approaching this from a fluid test and replacement perspective, I've had the following results:
Independent #1: Visual inspection of the fluid =£50. ATF flush and replacement, inc. filter = £250/£300. Need the car for 48 hrs (to allow fluids to cool/get up to temp accordingly).
Independent #2: No visual inspection service offered; Power Flush and replacement of ATF and filter £325. Takes an hour and a half.
Main Dealer #1: Unable to test ATF beforehand; ATF replacement inc. filter = £330 + VAT. It takes an hour and is a drive in/drive out service. However, Volvo say this shouldn't be necessary as the 'box is sealed.
Main dealer #2: £395 inc.VAT. The Master Tech. confirmed Volvo states the service interval @ 54k miles.

Good luck with me trying to identify the correct ATF to be used and what is actually put in the car!!
sye73 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sye73 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 18:50   #22
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Did you speak to Graham at Horton cars in amongst that activity?
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 19:00   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sye73 View Post
Thanks again to all those who've contributed. Appreciated.

Predictably, this is becoming an even bigger headache! Approaching this from a fluid test and replacement perspective, I've had the following results:
Independent #1: Visual inspection of the fluid =£50. ATF flush and replacement, inc. filter = £250/£300. Need the car for 48 hrs (to allow fluids to cool/get up to temp accordingly).
Independent #2: No visual inspection service offered; Power Flush and replacement of ATF and filter £325. Takes an hour and a half.
Main Dealer #1: Unable to test ATF beforehand; ATF replacement inc. filter = £330 + VAT. It takes an hour and is a drive in/drive out service. However, Volvo say this shouldn't be necessary as the 'box is sealed.
Main dealer #2: £395 inc.VAT. The Master Tech. confirmed Volvo states the service interval @ 54k miles.

Good luck with me trying to identify the correct ATF to be used and what is actually put in the car!!
I've found this online but nowhere does it list a V70D2 - can you confirm the model please?

https://az685612.vo.msecnd.net/pdfs/...EN_tp14092.pdf

It seems there are two ATFs useed, one is BOT34 spec, the other is AW1 spec which equates to :

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/1057...umbs=P0,P10626

I did find this for the BOT341 ATF as well :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/22033836509

Ridiculously expensive!

As for those main dealer services, any that say "flush" - don't do it! If your ATF is as bad as i suspect, the new, thicker fluid could blow the seals easily! eek:

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Jan 13th, 2021 at 20:22. Reason: Add missing link to owners manual
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 19:18   #24
sye73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Did you speak to Graham at Horton cars in amongst that activity?
Not included in this activity, but I did call Horton Cars (although I don't know that it was Graham specifically).
They don't get involved with rebuilding Powershift boxes (this is undertaken by a third-party firm). Whilst they wouldn't rule out the potential benefits of an ATF change, they shared my view that there is likely to be a more serious underlying cause which may or may not be improved following a fluid change. They also (understandably) questioned if the c. £3k "investment" in a 1.6 diesel that had covered 180k miles.
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 19:25   #25
sye73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I've found this online but nowhere does it list a V70D2 - can you confirm the model please?

It seems there are two ATFs useed, one is BOT34 spec, the other is AW1 spec which equates to :

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/1057...umbs=P0,P10626

I did find this for the BOT341 ATF as well :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/22033836509

Ridiculously expensive!

As for those main dealer services, any that say "flush" - don't do it! If your ATF is as bad as i suspect, the new, thicker fluid could blow the seals easily! eek:
Hmmm, I've definitely got a V70 D2. 2013 year model.
If it helps, the engine is identified as a D4162T and the transmission type as MPS6.

It seems that many independent gearbox firms use a flushing process/machine and is somewhat difficult to avoid. I totally understand and agree with your comments, but I guess from their perspective it'd be a sticking point if deposits were still found to be present that would have been removed with a flush??
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 20:04   #26
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Not included in this activity, but I did call Horton Cars (although I don't know that it was Graham specifically).
They don't get involved with rebuilding Powershift boxes (this is undertaken by a third-party firm). Whilst they wouldn't rule out the potential benefits of an ATF change, they shared my view that there is likely to be a more serious underlying cause which may or may not be improved following a fluid change. They also (understandably) questioned if the c. £3k "investment" in a 1.6 diesel that had covered 180k miles.
I'd trust their advice tbh (IIRC they don't actually rebuild AW boxes, if a full rebuild's required (beyond valve bodies) they also outsource that)

Narrows things down somewhat, anyway, providing you'd be happy to invest further in what seems to be flawed tech. Did they quote a cost for the rebuild, out of interest?
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 20:27   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Hmmm, I've definitely got a V70 D2. 2013 year model.
If it helps, the engine is identified as a D4162T and the transmission type as MPS6.

It seems that many independent gearbox firms use a flushing process/machine and is somewhat difficult to avoid. I totally understand and agree with your comments, but I guess from their perspective it'd be a sticking point if deposits were still found to be present that would have been removed with a flush??
That helps a lot and apologies for the missing link in my post further up! Have added it now, Pg 379 confirms the fluid as BOT341 which is the £OUCH one.

I think i know what i'd be inclined to do but i doubt you'd want to hear it, happy to expand if you want me to though.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 20:48   #28
sye73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
I'd trust their advice tbh (IIRC they don't actually rebuild AW boxes, if a full rebuild's required (beyond valve bodies) they also outsource that)

Narrows things down somewhat, anyway, providing you'd be happy to invest further in what seems to be flawed tech. Did they quote a cost for the rebuild, out of interest?
That's the key, really. The tech does seem flawed so spending significant money on it seems non-sensical.
That said, there's probably a good argument to say would whatever I buy next be better (in terms of relibility/robustness)? Whilst IMO the build quality of my '96 850, then my '05 XC70 were significantly better than my current V70, there are plenty of considerations with AWD drivetrians, for example. I'd be delighted if I bought an XC70 only to find some "module" needed replacing at huge expense!
We didn't really discuss rebuild costs (on the basis it'd be a different firm undertaking the work).

Last edited by sye73; Jan 13th, 2021 at 20:51.
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 20:50   #29
sye73

No problem. OK, thanks for confirming (although it was always going to be the most expensive one!!).

Sure, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts..
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 22:47   #30
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
No problem. OK, thanks for confirming (although it was always going to be the most expensive one!!).

Sure, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts..
My thoughts would be that given the cost of the ATF (£40/L roughly) even on a DIY basis it's going to cost you ~£300 to do the fluid change. Your responses from the various Volvo dealers/indies suggest there are mixed feelings over whether it's a sealed unit or not.

Assuming for a moment it is a sealed unit, it's developed a fault and as such has ended its useful life. As such, not worth trying a fluid change to fix the problem.

However, if it's not a sealed unit (as confirmed by the service intervals quoted by the ones who didn't say it was sealed), it's still going to cost a similar amount on a DIY basis to change the fluid.
While this may have a better chance of recovering it, it would need to be on the basis of a few part-changes as i suggested further up. That would likely cost £600 in fluid and you may or may not be any further forward. A fairly good chance but not guaranteed.

As such, with the value of the car being ~£3k, a rebuild likely to cost the same (or more), i'd suggest selling it as is for spares or repair with the gearbox faults listed (purely to prevent any adverse comeback) for as much as you can get.
Then buy something a bit older and simpler that uses normal fluids and can be serviced relatively easily and cheaply by yourself or your local Volvo indie.

The reason i say older is that from ~2000 manufacturers started doing strange things like coding injectors to the engines, fitting "Type Approved" cats to petrols (much more expensive than normal aftermarket cats), fitting sealed engine and gearbox units etc.
When you get it have all the fluids changed, timing belts etc and a thorough checkover then either service it yourself or get your local indie to service it regularly. It will last longer than anything with a sealed engine or box and the chances are if something does fail, serviceable parts will be available secondhand and even new won't be bank-breakers.