Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70R advice

Views : 1598

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 18th, 2009, 15:10   #1
ChrisV70T5

Default V70R advice

I am currently looking to replace my 2001 T5 with a newer model and I am including in my search the V70 R.

I have received details of a 2005 V70R with 62000 miles with full Volvo service history - however I am told had a new engine fitted (by Volvo) at 47000miles. Should I be running away? - I thought these engines were fairly bullet proof?

Not actually having the chance to drive a V70R is it easly to check the suspension settings are working correctly?

Thanks
ChrisV70T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 17:52   #2
simonc
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV70T5 View Post
I am currently looking to replace my 2001 T5 with a newer model and I am including in my search the V70 R.

I have received details of a 2005 V70R with 62000 miles with full Volvo service history - however I am told had a new engine fitted (by Volvo) at 47000miles. Should I be running away? - I thought these engines were fairly bullet proof?

Not actually having the chance to drive a V70R is it easly to check the suspension settings are working correctly?

Thanks
i wouldnt worry they are great engines, however things can fail on the rare occasions with catastrophic results, eg a faulty cam belt failing springs to mind
simonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 16:02   #3
burchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV70T5 View Post

Thanks
Hi.. Speaking as someone who has had to have a new engine because the block cracked between cylinders 3 & 4 all I can say is make sure whatever you buy comes with a comprehensive warranty and preferably a Volvo Extended one. My 2004 V70R has literally cost £000's in repairs over and above the engine failure. When they're running fine, they're great but, when they go wrong they are complex and VERY expensive to fix.

The bores were essentially increased to achieve the 2.5 litre from the 2.3 engine and the result is a weaker area between the cylinder and this is what is causing some blocks to crack. I have heard of others and the Focus ST uses basically the same block and there have been numerous instances of those blocks cracking I'm told.

The fact that the one you are looking at has had the new engine already is probably a good thing.

Hope it works out for you well..

2003 ('53 reg) V70 R Manual.
Ferrita 3" Downpipe & Sport CAT, HEICO Sport Exhaust with Quad Tips!

Sold but not forgotten....
1998 Saffron V70 R AWD Manual
RICA 310 Chip, SAMCO Hoses, S/Steel Exhaust with 2 x 4" Outlets, OEM Strut Brace, Dynaudio Premium Upgrade, K&N Panel Filter
burchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 16:27   #4
ChrisV70T5

Smile

Thanks for the responses - after reading through the various threads on the R I don't think my wallet is deep enough just at the moment. I am still recovering from a several grand bill for the auto gearbox in my current T5.

Still not quite sure how it happened but it appears I will be taking delivery of a 2005 V70 T5 (manual this time!) on Wednesday. Will be sad to see my current car go but looking forward to playing with all the new gadgets and having a clutch again :-)
Maybe an R next time (or when I win the lottery)
ChrisV70T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 17:42   #5
don kalmar union
Trader

Default '05 t5

In my view a T5 is allways a wiser choise than these later 'R' cars, pretty much for the reasons that Burchi has stated with all the trevails he has had with his car....several others that O know of having experienced similar problems.

We are all the wiser for the experiences of these owners and we do now know that a good quality aftermarket boost gauge is an absolute essential for those considering modifying these cars as you do have to keep an eye out for peak boost. Any poor adjustments or failing pipes and components arround the boost control area can cause boost to reach a level that will subsequently cause these engine blocks to split with catastrophic and costly consequences.

I hope that you have bought a post MY '05 T5 as that engine is built with virtually all the special components found or the Rs but with a robust block with narrower bores.

The Focus ST shares its engine with the current smaller Volvo T5s, which engine has the same bore spacings and dimensions as this R. Many ST owners in particular have suffered burst blocks through poorly written aftermarket software.

Volvo have addressed this problem with their new engines built for the new Focus RS by using an aluminium plasma coating sprayed onto the outside of the iron liners which bonds with the aluminium poured into the moulds to form the block. That gives a very strong bond between liner and block which addresses the problem and allows the wide bore size to be maintained even with much greater boost pressures. Pity Volvo were'nt onto it with their now discontinued R engine.

Regards, Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to don kalmar union For This Useful Post: