Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 - weird electrical issue.

Views : 1214

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 5th, 2019, 18:16   #11
redtel35
Terry Roberts

Hi all,

Thanks for the quick replies and it seems as though the switch is definitely the issue.

I've already got the instrument cluster out as I've got to replace a couple of gauges.

The lower panel is also off as I had to trace some ropey fog light wiring.

Thanks for the help!
redtel35 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redtel35 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 18:26   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegreg View Post
when you have spent 35 years of your working career as an auto electrician, I guess yes, I have changed a few ignition switches, but tbh, not many on Volvo's, no wont mention any other brands on here, im not one to offend .
To be fair, you'd want your customers cars to be reliable wouldn't you? Your reputation would be worth more than what you might save one person by using a secondhand switch?

Granted Volvo starter switches (as Volvo call them) aren't as "fragile" shall we say as many others but my points are nonetheless valid.

The biggest problem with getting a secondhand one is getting the correct one.

Many breakers will ask you for your part number and then tell you they've got it and send it to you (i'm talking about ebay here) and you fit it only to discover it doesn't work and then find they've sent the wrong part through.

No, what they've done is send the one they had in the belief they're all the same. You're then no further forward, have spent money on a switch that has no hope of working even if it's electrically sound and are struggling to get your money back.

The next biggest problem is you have no idea of the history of the switch you get from a breaker or how long it's likely to last. Don't forget that for most people going anywhere near the elctrical system is a fate wrose than death - they don't want to do it twice!

It might be a nearly new switch because someone has had trouble a few months before the car is scrapped in which case you're lucky or it might be on a really low mileage car scrapped because the owner was too old/ill to continue driving and couldn't afford the repairs to keep it going but those low miles represent being started 4 times a day and driving half a mile each time.

It could also be a high mileage car because it's owned by an antique dealer in Dundee who runs down to Sothebys in London once a week to sell what he's bought in Scotland and get a much better price for it but the car only gets started a few times each week, when he leaves Dundee and London to go home and for fuel stops in between.

Yes, these are extremes but purely to illustrate they can and do exist so you can't be sure of any secondhand part.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 18:31   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtel35 View Post
Hi all,

Thanks for the quick replies and it seems as though the switch is definitely the issue.

I've already got the instrument cluster out as I've got to replace a couple of gauges.

The lower panel is also off as I had to trace some ropey fog light wiring.

Thanks for the help!
You should be able to see the switch fairly easily, if you take the two screws out you should be able to pull it out far enough to either take a photo of the part number or see it easily enough to write it down. THen you should be able to get one from Volvo.

Out of interest, if you turn the key back manually to position 2 after starting, is power restored to the circuits that are cut during starting?

Also which gauges are you renewing?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 18:44   #14
bob12
bob12

I have found that the electrical part of the switch gear is very robust. Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37167423_10211789799445769_8364229228756992000_o.jpg (96.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg PIC.6a.JPG (4.0 KB, 26 views)
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 12:48   #15
redtel35
Terry Roberts

I need to replace the fuel gauge and the coolant gauge. I have managed to source the correct VDO replacements. I also need to replace the cog on the speedo as that has several teeth missing and so odometer has stopped working.
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 12:49   #16
redtel35
Terry Roberts

Yes - if I turn the key slightly back (has to hit the right spot though), the radio comes on and blower starts up again.
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 12:52   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes - if I turn the key slightly back (has to hit the right spot though), the radio comes on and blower starts up again.
I wonder if the barrel has become sticky after many years of use and a bit of lube (WD40 or for preference, silicone spray lube) sprayed into the ignition lock barrely would sort the problem out for you. I had that on one of mine, can't remember which now but solved it with a little squirt and some use. Could be worth a try and save you £OUCH on a new switch!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 13:12   #18
Ian21401
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I wonder if the barrel has become sticky after many years of use and a bit of lube (WD40 or for preference, silicone spray lube) sprayed into the ignition lock barrely would sort the problem out for you. I had that on one of mine, can't remember which now but solved it with a little squirt and some use. Could be worth a try and save you £OUCH on a new switch!
Usually a good thing to try initially. Quicker, less hassle and cheaper.
My windscreen wiper switch is becoming a little temperamental in that very occasionally the wipers do not actually start until I switch to the faster speed then back. First step will be to check out the switch, clean and lubricate.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 19:36   #19
bob12
bob12

Quote:
I need to replace the fuel gauge and the coolant gauge. I have managed to source the correct VDO replacements. I also need to replace the cog on the speedo as that has several teeth missing and so odometer has stopped working.
I assume you are aware of this VDO trip meter fix info on Dave Barton's website at:

https://www.240turbo.com/740-odometer-repair.html

In the UK you can buy the 25 toothed gear wheel on the internet from 'PartsMonster' for about £10.00. It is described as being for a 240 but it's the same thing you will want. In fact you get another gear but it's highly unlikely you will need that.

Bob

Last edited by bob12; Nov 6th, 2019 at 19:38.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 14:09   #20
redtel35
Terry Roberts

Thanks Bob,

Ordered the cog from Parts Monster yesterday.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redtel35 For This Useful Post: