Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

v50 Air Conditioning Drain

Views : 5748

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 1st, 2016, 13:38   #1
LobLeg

Default v50 Air Conditioning Drain

Hi All.

V50 still going strong! However, my daughter gets her feet wet as there is water coming from the vent under the drivers seat.

After some research, I found out that this is probably a blocked drain from the A/C. I had a quick look to locate and clear it but couldn't find it.

I have found this picture but before I pull all the carpets out, can someone confirm that this image of the location is correct?

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/EN...9_ac_drain.pdf

Thanks in advance. I'll upload a better one when I've done it.

Steve
LobLeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 23:01   #2
LobLeg

Found it!

It's actually on the right hand side of the car. (The other forum I found had it shown on the other side but it was obviously a left hand drive car!)

The black pipe comes out of the a/c box and down into a white plastic elbow. As expected, the elbow was blocked and after prizing it off, was easily cleaned out.

The carpet now is out as the foam backing soaks up lots of water! That's the trickiest bit as ideally the seat needs taking out.

I'll try and post more pics if I can figure out how to reduce the size of them on my phone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (148.3 KB, 194 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LobLeg For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 23:05   #3
LobLeg

Here's how bad it can be!!!

http://youtu.be/cjhnrclWDTk
Old Sep 8th, 2016, 15:58   #4
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobLeg View Post
Found it!

It's actually on the right hand side of the car. (The other forum I found had it shown on the other side but it was obviously a left hand drive car!)

Do I see correctly its on the right side of central tunnel ? So RHD car, beside drivers left leg?
just cant get the picture right.

Where does the drain go from there? If not blocked, I understand it should drip water to underneath the car, but where is the outlet? is it accessible without lifting a car?
just wondering as I was considering cleaning the AC using a foam that you stick trough evaporator pipe but failed so far to locate it.
Old Sep 9th, 2016, 00:41   #5
LobLeg

Hi.

Yes, just besides the drivers left ankle.

It basically just goes through the firewall and stops. What I didn't mention before is the heat shield is just the other side of the hole. It's a design fault because the heat shield (mat) touches the outlet and acts like a strainer to keep all the rubbish in the outlet.

So you won't see it from underneath unless you take away the heat shield from around the exhaust pipe. That sounds like a big faff to me. I would guess that it's easier to do what you are looking to do by pulling up the carpet from against the centre console and locating the pipe from that end to squirt the foam in. It's flexible so shouldn't be an issue and you can get any dirt put whilst your there.

Hope that's helpful

Steve
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LobLeg For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2016, 17:35   #6
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Hi.

So you won't see it from underneath unless you take away the heat shield from around the exhaust pipe. That sounds like a big faff to me. I would guess that it's easier to do what you are looking to do by pulling up the carpet from against the centre console and locating the pipe from that end to squirt the foam in. It's flexible so shouldn't be an issue and you can get any dirt put whilst your there.

Hope that's helpful

Steve
Wow, I am baffled by amount of things Volvo changed to worse between 1st and 2nd gen of S40... it feels like every single thing that was easy to fix/solve/sort out on my 03' model is made difficult/impossible on 2nd generation... way to go Volvo :/

Anyway - thanks for this info, very useful, will save me some time if I decide to do so and will most likely follow advice and do it from underneath the carpet.
cheers!
Old Sep 10th, 2016, 03:26   #7
Tony500
Master Member

Have you got a sunroof? I would also check the drain pipes on them also!
If you pull the A pillar panel off you will see the clear pipe and the drain is at the bottom..... It can be fiddly to put the drain back

Here is a video of my problem and the sunroof drain was my problem
https://youtu.be/gBeEtc2GRWI
Tony500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 15:52   #8
drbobby

Quote:
Found it!

The black pipe comes out of the a/c box and down into a white plastic elbow. As expected, the elbow was blocked and after prizing it off, was easily cleaned out.

The carpet now is out as the foam backing soaks up lots of water! That's the trickiest bit as ideally the seat needs taking out.

I'll try and post more pics if I can figure out how to reduce the size of them on my phone!
How did you remove the carpets around the drain please?
drbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 17:47   #9
WarrenandZoe

I am also curious as to how to get the carpet up, when I put the bottom blowers on I have a water feature coming from the rear vents under the front seats
WarrenandZoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 17:44   #10
Polcmods

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenandZoe View Post
I am also curious as to how to get the carpet up, when I put the bottom blowers on I have a water feature coming from the rear vents under the front seats
I did it a year ago, I don't remember it perfectly:
I do remember removing the plastic trim (with the "VOLVO" sign, below the doors when closed). Just pull it up. Work your way from there.
I did remove the seat, but I dont recall if necessary. Each slide has one bolt in the front and one in the rear. Don't forget to unplug the cable conecctor
underneath. Might be wise to disconnect the battery to avoid any airbag errors.
I can dig for photos if you wish - PM me.

EDIT: I did it on the side with the fusebox. Dis- and reconnected it a few times and destroyed my rain sensor, and wiper electronics.
DO unplug the battery
Polcmods is offline   Reply With Quote