Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can I phone from my XC60

Views : 937

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2019, 18:05   #1
Barrykensett

Default Can I phone from my XC60

I have a 2018MY XC60 with on call i.e. car is fitted with a SIM card and connects to the internet.
I usually carry an iPhone but if I forget it and needed to make a phone call is there a way I can do it?
I have an old phone with no sim and I guess I could carry that and take the sim out of the car to use it but I was wondering if there was a way to make calls on the internet using something like Skype?
Barry
Barrykensett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 19:49   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

You only get a limited number of apps which are not much use, you can't download your own apps such as Skype or whatsApp to be able to do what you want, you will need to remove sim from the car and use your data sim card in an old spare phone to use these apps.

In an emergency you could press your on call button and ask them to pass a message on, if you know the number for them to call.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Feb 17th, 2019 at 19:53.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 20:31   #3
HDAV
Master Member

There was a rumoured skype4business option for the New infotainment system..... if it had that then yes you could (if you have S4B)...article is before the new 60 launched...

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...90-series-cars
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 20:46   #4
WhatNext?

I guess you can use a data SIM to provide on board WiFi using the car modem. Then using the phone you can call using apps like Skype
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 22:27   #5
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrykensett View Post
I have a 2018MY XC60 with on call i.e. car is fitted with a SIM card and connects to the internet.
I usually carry an iPhone but if I forget it and needed to make a phone call is there a way I can do it?
I have an old phone with no sim and I guess I could carry that and take the sim out of the car to use it but I was wondering if there was a way to make calls on the internet using something like Skype?
Barry
You may or may not have a SIM card modem in the car, regardless of whether you have On-Call I think. If you do and have fitted your own SIM card, you might, if it is a call and data card, be able to use it in your phone as long as it physically fits. However, most of us use the far cheaper 12gig/12 month 3 data-only SIM cards which cannot, as far as I know, be used for voice calls.

The VOC SIM and modem are built into the car somewhere and cannot be accessed and are used only for VOC and and the VOC app
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 08:01   #6
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
The VOC SIM and modem are built into the car somewhere and cannot be accessed and are used only for VOC and and the VOC app
For my V60 the VOC SIM card is located on the left side of the passenger footwell. Thereis a little flap covering it. Page 528 in the V60 Owners Manual
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 08:38   #7
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
For my V60 the VOC SIM card is located on the left side of the passenger footwell. Thereis a little flap covering it. Page 528 in the V60 Owners Manual
I do not have access to that car’s manual but are you sure that you are not confusing the VOC modem with the user accessible data modem for which you need to buy a SIM card and top up or replace as data is used?
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 08:55   #8
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
This is not the VOC sim, it is the personal sim holder modem, if you put a data sim in there VOC will use it instead of its own built in sim, we do not have access to the VOC sim, I dont think anyone even knows where it is.
The holder you are refering to is for your own data sim to allow you and the car to access the internet, the confusion is probably due to the reference to VOC using it if a personal sim is used.

VOC will still work without a personal sim card, it works off its own sim and it will revert back to using its own if you put a personal sim in the modem and then remove it or run out of data..
You do not need to put a data sim in there to use VOC.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Feb 18th, 2019 at 09:08.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 08:57   #9
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
I do not have access to that car’s manual but are you sure that you are not confusing the VOC modem with the user accessible data modem for which you need to buy a SIM card and top up or replace as data is used?
Don't think so, but happy to be corrected.

The manual is on line here
https://az685612.vo.msecnd.net/pdfs/...GB_TP26368.pdf
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 18:16   #10
Barrykensett

Thank you for all the helpful discussion. I can confirm that the VOC works without a personal sim, my dealer demonstrated it when I picked the car up. I later fitted a SIM card in the holder in the footwell. Using that card in one of two ways seems to be the best option in emergency; the card is dual data/phone as my supplier doesn’t differentiate so will work in my phone. Using the WiFi hotspot is viable but I am not sure if the phone will work on WiFi without a SIM card in it. Don’t want to pay for a card for a phone that is unlikely to be used. I will try it.
Barry
Barrykensett is offline   Reply With Quote