Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help broke down in france

Views : 1082

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 16th, 2022, 08:09   #1
mr tickle

Default Help broke down in france

I had to be recovered yesterday from the motorway. A front caliper was binding and was unable to continue. There is a volvo dealer near our holiday location an I want to call them this morning to check if they have 2 front calipers. Please can someone give me the correct part numbers for these? Xc90 d5 200Bhp 2014.
Many thanks
V70 D5 2009 - T5 convertible - V40 1.8 - 343GL - the one with the elastic band transmission!
mr tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2022, 09:37   #2
wynnj
Master Member

If you're buying from the dealer he'll get them from the VIN.
If you want to buy them yourself from an afterparts supplier try putting your UK reg into some UK parts suppliers (eurocarparts, GSF, Partsforvolvos) and cross reference; most give the the OE part number the aftermarket part is Xreferenced to. Autodoc also give the OE part number but delivery delays from Germany are usually uncertain. Also Scandix.
I've used MisterAuto in France for Volvo parts and they often list ATE which are OE on Volvos.
Hope you get sorted.
wynnj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2022, 09:24   #3
DickyB V70R

Mr T, how did you get on with this ? Did you manage to get a Caliper or two and get back on the road.

Saffy V70R Auto...Gone But Not Forgotten.
Now got...Silver P2 04-05 V70 D5 (Facelift).
09 XC90 R-Design (the Barge).
DickyB V70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2022, 18:54   #4
kentishdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr tickle View Post
I had to be recovered yesterday from the motorway. A front caliper was binding and was unable to continue. There is a volvo dealer near our holiday location an I want to call them this morning to check if they have 2 front calipers. Please can someone give me the correct part numbers for these? Xc90 d5 200Bhp 2014.
Many thanks
If you have a binding caliper, why do you need two? And you can probably get the binding one stripped down and repaired.
kentishdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2022, 19:07   #5
kentishdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentishdriver View Post
If you have a binding caliper, why do you need two? And you can probably get the binding one stripped down and repaired.
PS. And the caliper might not be the problem. Could be brake hoses. ABS system. Or, if you are lucky, might just need a clean and a good dose of WD40.
kentishdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2022, 13:40   #6
paultyler1

Might not have been able to contact the dealer, today is a bank holiday in France.
Fiat 500 Dolcevita
paultyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2022, 14:23   #7
mr tickle

My car was taken on friday to a pound where they promptly shut and said we open on tuesday and then your vehicle will be taken to a garage (which one where unknown? ) where they will give me a quote to repair it.
I have little confidence that this will work out well for me and we are supposed to be returning on saturday morning to the ferry so needs to be ready.
I have decided to be at the garage first thing tomorrow morning I will just take the car to ourplace in france. It's only 30 miles I'll drive slowly and I have a watering can and a container so can stop regularly to keep the heat down.
I have tools to strip down the caliper and I'll have a go at polishing the piston up and cleaning all the sliders and pins and see ho we go.
If it doesn't fix the problem there is a volvo dealer about an hour away I'll call them and order a new caliper and hopefully be able to collect it next day (although in France every moves much more slowly than uk)
For this reason having the correct part number would be really helpful. I have been unable to find out by checking ebay or google.
Mine is the single piston near side if anyone can help.
When I return I'll buy the offside and put new discs and pads on too I like to do brakes in pairs and the discs do have some wear on them . Car is only 7 years old and would not expect the brake pipes to be blocked at this age
Thanks for assistance
V70 D5 2009 - T5 convertible - V40 1.8 - 343GL - the one with the elastic band transmission!

Last edited by mr tickle; Apr 18th, 2022 at 14:26.
The Following User Says Thank You to mr tickle For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 18th, 2022, 15:21   #8
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr tickle View Post
My car was taken on friday to a pound where they promptly shut and said we open on tuesday and then your vehicle will be taken to a garage (which one where unknown? ) where they will give me a quote to repair it.
I have little confidence that this will work out well for me and we are supposed to be returning on saturday morning to the ferry so needs to be ready.
I have decided to be at the garage first thing tomorrow morning I will just take the car to ourplace in france. It's only 30 miles I'll drive slowly and I have a watering can and a container so can stop regularly to keep the heat down.
I have tools to strip down the caliper and I'll have a go at polishing the piston up and cleaning all the sliders and pins and see ho we go.
If it doesn't fix the problem there is a volvo dealer about an hour away I'll call them and order a new caliper and hopefully be able to collect it next day (although in France every moves much more slowly than uk)
For this reason having the correct part number would be really helpful. I have been unable to find out by checking ebay or google.
Mine is the single piston near side if anyone can help.
When I return I'll buy the offside and put new discs and pads on too I like to do brakes in pairs and the discs do have some wear on them . Car is only 7 years old and would not expect the brake pipes to be blocked at this age
Thanks for assistance
I have just been through this experience.

Over 50,000 miles and 5 years I have bought everything Volvo except…. Rear light and a calliper.

Volvo callipers are an absolute fortune!!! I would budget £400 for that calliper and a surcharge for return of older one. And Labour (lots as it’s going to full full fluid flush).

Volvo OEM is ATE and I bought Pagid for £77.

I would go OEM quality here. Also note tut I bought a rebuild kit for £18 in the end.

The Volvo campers are very very expensive!!!
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2022, 15:38   #9
mr tickle

Noted. It looks like I can buy an ATE in the uk for around £100, but in France I've had a price of €348 for a apatent part lol.
Car is at my location now and the brakes were cold when i arrived so the sticky piston must be marginal. I have bought a wind back tool some dot 4 but i have been unable today to find anywhere selling a 9mm Allen key or H9 hex socket. Been to loads of places . Even willing to buy a new socket set but failed to find one. I will do some more searching and
Tomorrow I'll go again.
If anyone knows of a store that can sell me the 9mm let me know thanks
Old Apr 19th, 2022, 15:50   #10
mr tickle

Noted. It looks like I can buy an ATE in the uk for around £100, but in France I've had a price of €348 for a apatent part lol.
Car is at my location now and the brakes were cold when i arrived so the sticky piston must be marginal. I have bought a wind back tool some dot 4 but i have been unable today to find anywhere selling a 9mm Allen key or H9 hex socket. Been to loads of places . Even willing to buy a new socket set but failed to find one. I will do some more searching and
Tomorrow I'll go again.
If anyone knows of a store that can sell me the 9mm let me know thanks