Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Safety - XC60 14-17 v Focus

Views : 766

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2024, 10:46   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
Hello All,

I'd love some advice around Volvo, particularly the XC60 and safety.

Our current family car is a 2014 Ford Focus Estate and it has a reasonable good Euro NCAP rating (94% I believe).

I've always loved Volvo's and have started my search for one to upgrade to something safer and bigger.

In your opinion, in a real world accident scenario, how would a 2014 XC60 come out v our current car? On one hand I think our current focus is slightly newer but then the XC60 is weightier and is a Volvo......? Is it just marketing spin or have they really got the edge?

My second dilemma is whether to stretch to a 2018 XC60. How much difference is there likely to be other than the active safety systems between the 2014 and 2018 models?

Final thought. XC60 D4 or D5 and anything to watch out for?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.
Volvo pioneered ALL vehicle safety systems, they were so good they wrote the rule book Their safety obsession goes right back to the start of volvo in 1927

This will show you how Ford do it and how volvo do it.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/407226891867739

More

https://www.volvocars.com/us/v/safety/heritage
Old Feb 21st, 2024, 12:03   #12
Kev0607
Premier Member

It is worth noting that there's plenty of other cars that perform just as well in NCAP safety ratings as Volvo do.

Volvo were the pioneer of safety back in the day and have carried that through to present, but as time has progressed, other manufacturers have caught up.
Old Feb 21st, 2024, 16:22   #13
Bagheera

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
It's a while since I last looked at the specs; but the 2018 XC60 will most likely be the Gen.ll with the Sensus portrait central screen, different body shape and a lot of changes to the VEA engines and drive trains. 2014 was around the year the original XC60 had a facelift and the VEA engines were introduced. Choices included the new 2lt (4 cylinder) engine and FWD with the new 8 speed Geartronic, or the older 5 cylinder and 6 speed Geartronic, until this was dropped later on in the range. It can be a bit of a daunting task sorting out all the various differences and options available on the different models, so plenty to get your head around, just do your homework.
Thanks, yes it can get confusing but the Autotrader spec trick is helpful!

In terms of the 2018 XC60 v 2014 XC60 , i was more wondering whether there was a major step up in passive safety i.e in terms of an actual impact rather than the active safety systems. It would be a stretch for us and I think the only reason i'd do it would be if there was improved passive safety.....

Thanks for all the replies, I've found them all really helpful. I wasn't really giving much thought to the weight side in an impact and that has cemented my thinking to get a Volvo for our family.

The XC60 D5's are sitting around 11-12k on a 2014 year with circa 100k miles. Unsure if prices are still falling in the used car market but will aim to pounce in the next two months and will update the thread.

You all seem like a friendly bunch, so I will stick around.
Bagheera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bagheera For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2024, 23:50   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
It is worth noting that there's plenty of other cars that perform just as well in NCAP safety ratings as Volvo do.

Volvo were the pioneer of safety back in the day and have carried that through to present, but as time has progressed, other manufacturers have caught up.
Only because they had to due to legislation. they will do the minimum to comply whilst volvo go beyond the legislation.
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 16:48   #15
GMcL
0's and 1's

If you are going for an XC60 on the grounds of safety you'll probably want to hold off until the 2017 onwards car comes into budget. In Europe we are being encouraged to print off the structural document to have in the car in case of an accident for the emergency services. The 2017 car has a more complete cell around the passenger area than the earlier car.

XC60-08-17.jpg

XC60-17.jpg

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 17:08   #16
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Only because they had to due to legislation. they will do the minimum to comply whilst volvo go beyond the legislation.
I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. If Volvo went beyond the legislation, they'd score much higher in the safety tests than the other manufacturer's do. The reality is, there's cars made by other manufacturer's in today's market that are just as safe as Volvo with 5 star NCAP safety ratings.

If you look at the 2023 NCAP safety ratings for "safest family cars", Volvo isn't even on the list.

https://www.euroncap.com/en/ratings-...wFitment=false

Go to 2022, Volvo is listed once...

https://www.euroncap.com/en/ratings-...wFitment=false

This goes to show that there's other safe cars out there now too. Times have changed, other manufacturer's are now making safe cars. Volvo are just doing what they've always done. As for going "beyond legislation", I'm not convinced that's accurate... the NCAP doesn't show it.

Last edited by Kev0607; Feb 22nd, 2024 at 17:11.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 17:17   #17
GMcL
0's and 1's

Two people with an IQ of 130 and 170 can do the same test and both score 100%. The test is the test, once the maximum is scored you can't score 130% because you have a higher IQ.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 19:36   #18
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
Two people with an IQ of 130 and 170 can do the same test and both score 100%. The test is the test, once the maximum is scored you can't score 130% because you have a higher IQ.
Yes, there's no higher score than 5 star. However, there's plenty of other cars that get 5 star ratings. They don't award that just for participation, the cars have to pass the required criteria to be awarded the 5 star top rating.

I don't believe Volvo go "beyond the legislation", as CIan put it. Volvo made very safe cars when no one or few did back in the day... they've continued it, basically built and maintained a brand with safety being at the forefront. Other manufacturers that maybe weren't as safe as Volvo in the day now are.

The Euro NCAP website doesn't lie... just a quick search reveals the following;

2019 - Best in class goes to;

Tesla Model 3
BMW 3 Series
Tesla Model X
Mercedes-Benz CLA
Subaru Forester
Renault Clio
Audi A1
Tesla Model 3

2021 - Best in class goes to;

Mercedes-EQ EQS
Škoda ENYAQ iV
Mercedes-EQ EQS
Škoda Fabia
Nissan Qashqai

2022 - Best in class goes to;

Tesla Model S
Hyundai IONIQ 6
WEY Coffee 01
Tesla Model S
ORA Funky Cat
Tesla Model Y

The most recent best in class list Volvo was featured on was in 2017 (XC60) prior to that was 2015 (XC90)... none of their cars won best in class since these dates. So to say Volvo goes "beyond legislation" doesn't really show in this data that's available. Like I said, there's other brands out there that are doing just as good if not better! Tesla and Mercedes seem to be doing very well for example.

Last edited by Kev0607; Feb 22nd, 2024 at 19:44.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 20:54   #19
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

It was a while ago now but remember Ford where the company found out to have knowingly made a badly designed car, on the basis that it would be more profitable to do that, and pay to settle a few claims, than re-design it. I personally don't think their ethos has changed much.

https://www.autosafety.org/ford-pint...nd%20collision.

Only one manufacturer has made a popular model that no-one has ever been killed in.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volvo/...xc90-in-the-uk
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 21:01   #20
Forg

There was a time when the De Havilland Comet had a perfect safety record ... coincidentally that was before they too were bought by the CCP.
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote