Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's it worth?

Views : 2023

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 17:25   #31
Stu B
Master Member

Hi Kev, I was dead set on my next car (after my V70) being a BMW i3, preferably the 33kwh REX model, preferably pre April 2017 as they attract zero road tax despite having a small petrol engine under the boot floor which works as a generator for extra range if needed.

I wasn’t interested in other EVs but specifically one of those due to the interesting engineering and construction, plus obvious EV benefits of low running costs for my moderate commute, the fact I could charge at home, and lack of general maintenance required for a daily car. I have several other vehicles I could use for longer trips, carrying loads etc.

I asked several owners who all raved about them, did a lot of research and scoured the used market for them for months in my budget. I read lots about the relative lack of battery degradation over time too and all seemed positive.

However, for my use case, ultimately I couldn’t quite get my head around having a car with compromises of an EV, even though as an economical daily driver I’m sure it’d be great. I was also keeping an eye on smaller more modern 5 cylinder Volvos too around the same budget and went for a 2017 V60 Cross Country D4 AWD in the end and got the dealer to add Polestar for good measure

Haven’t regretted it but I would still love an i3. If your reasons are entirely financial/running cost related I’d say an EV make sense if it fits your use case, but if they’re not - mine weren’t and I never drive in London or intend to, then to me a decent petrol or diesel car still has the advantage with the freedom to go anywhere, refuel in 5 mins and keep going. I generally do all my own maintenance so that’s a factor too.

Keep us updated with how you get on, through researching the i3 I became very interested in EVs generally though not enough to buy one yet as clearly I can’t quite shake the desire for 5 cylinder engines…

Cheers,
Stu

Last edited by Stu B; Mar 22nd, 2024 at 18:45.
Stu B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stu B For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 23:29   #32
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu B View Post
Hi Kev, I was dead set on my next car (after my V70) being a BMW i3, preferably the 33kwh REX model, preferably pre April 2017 as they attract zero road tax despite having a small petrol engine under the boot floor which works as a generator for extra range if needed.

I wasn’t interested in other EVs but specifically one of those due to the interesting engineering and construction, plus obvious EV benefits of low running costs for my moderate commute, the fact I could charge at home, and lack of general maintenance required for a daily car. I have several other vehicles I could use for longer trips, carrying loads etc.

I asked several owners who all raved about them, did a lot of research and scoured the used market for them for months in my budget. I read lots about the relative lack of battery degradation over time too and all seemed positive.

However, for my use case, ultimately I couldn’t quite get my head around having a car with compromises of an EV, even though as an economical daily driver I’m sure it’d be great. I was also keeping an eye on smaller more modern 5 cylinder Volvos too around the same budget and went for a 2017 V60 Cross Country D4 AWD in the end and got the dealer to add Polestar for good measure

Haven’t regretted it but I would still love an i3. If your reasons are entirely financial/running cost related I’d say an EV make sense if it fits your use case, but if they’re not - mine weren’t and I never drive in London or intend to, then to me a decent petrol or diesel car still has the advantage with the freedom to go anywhere, refuel in 5 mins and keep going. I generally do all my own maintenance so that’s a factor too.

Keep us updated with how you get on, through researching the i3 I became very interested in EVs generally though not enough to buy one yet as clearly I can’t quite shake the desire for 5 cylinder engines…

Cheers,
Stu
Cheers Stu. No decisions made yet… just doing a lot of thinking and research at the moment.

I like the look of the i3, but being honest, I’m not a fan of BMW and would never have one. Each to their own as the saying goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
A lot has been learnt about EVs since 2010 such as you don't have to plug them in everyone the wheels stop rolling. Fast, frequent DC charging causes faster wear than slow AC charging at home, if you have the space and ability to do so.

The chemistry of the battery and onboard care, BMS, cooling, it's all being refined with each new version released. It's a fast learning curve for manufacturers, garages and users.

Charging to 100% being an example, most recommendations now are 80% then discharge down to 10-20% and recharge. Doing that with your mobile phone and laptop will also increase the lifespan and maximise the charge cycle count.

There are some things I do not want to adapt my behaviour in using the vehicle e.g. not using the heating in the middle of winter, there are some changes to accept which prolong the life of the car and keeps your wallet happy. You wouldn't get into a petrol or diesel and red line it from cold, that's an accepted compromise for those vehicles.
EV’s definitely seem like a different experience… I’ve gathered that from watching endless videos on them. I haven’t driven one yet though.

With regards to the heating, that would definitely take getting used to. Although, you can preheat EV’s without leaving your house (not sure if all EV’s have that function). So there’s no going out in the freezing cold de-icing the windows and leaving the car running to get warm. Just use the app and let the car do its business whilst you stay inside drinking a nice cup of coffee.

In saying that, the car would get cool quickly on a really cold day. I guess use the heated seats and steering wheel more, as opposed to the actual heater? Not ideal I know, but its better than nothing. Then again, not all EV’s have heated seats or heated steering wheels.

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 22nd, 2024 at 23:39.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 15:20   #33
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I appreciate your thoughts and input everyone, thank you.

I've invested in my car and I think its very well looked after. I've had a look on Autotrader and I can't really see anything without spending thousands that really matches what I have. In fact, I'm finding some cars from alternative brands that don't have anywhere near the same level of equipment. Newer Volvo's are well equipped, but again, you're talking 4k-5k (asking prices) for anything half decent.

The only cars I see that are well equipped like the Volvo are Skoda Superb's and Vauxhall Insignia's, that's if I get something different. My Sister has an Insignia 2.0 litre diesel that's just passed its Irish NCT (like the MOT here) and there's 192,000 miles on it, and, its still going strong.

I'm not really doing many motorway miles, its all relatively local. I know people will say "Oh, that's bad for a diesel", but I do give it motorways runs to clean it out and I always use branded fuel, change the fuel filter regularly and so on. There's no black smoke out of it or anything and it pulls like a train.

I know buying a newer model doesn't always necessarily mean it'll be better... its likely that things will need doing to that too, which equals more expense. Unless, of course, you're lucky to find an example that's had the cam belt replaced already (with proof).

I can see why sticking with what you know may be the best option, despite any investment in the past or future meaning nothing or little come sale time. Its still an old car, no matter how much has been spent on it.

Although there's no knocks or bangs out of the car, I think the shock absorbers are coming up on time for renewal and the wishbones. There's no play in wishbones (yet), but the bushes are starting to split. That's easily £500+ in parts and another £300 at a garage to get them done. Let's say £700-£800 being realistic that needs to be spent on the existing car at some point in the future. Is it really worth it? Or should I get something newer with a petrol engine?
I don't think this figure was too far off the mark.

-New control arms (£180) - Meyle (Parts for Volvo website)
-Shocks (full set) - £221 - Bilstein B4's (Parts for Volvo website
-Top mounts - £100 (front). I've got a spare set of rear mounts. Price from a local motor factor, as I don't like the ones that Parts for Volvo sell. They're called "ProParts Sweden". Never heard of them = me not using.

Call it £500 in parts, then £350 labour including alignment.

These prices are based on £60 per hour labour, which most garages around here are charging minimum. Parts prices are from Parts for Volvo website.

So £850 to spend on a car that's 17 years old. Not sure what to do.

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 28th, 2024 at 15:24.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote