Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Giving my '05 a 2010 facelift!

Views : 73522

Replies : 289

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2011, 22:50   #261
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenB View Post
SonyVaio - I didn't need to buy any of the other bits you listed, brackets etc. (Is the airguide the part just behind the grille? Easier to just cut it down a bit, it'll never be seen) The headlamps slot in as before, stay in place with the same slot-in bar down the back. Under where the headlamp sits you can see the bumper is expecting to slot into a bracket or something, but it doesn't, it just sits there, but it's totally solid I can't see why it would need any more brackets etc to be fitted.
The air guide on the picture (Vida 2011) looks as if it will fill what must be a gap from the bottom of the bumper/splitter to the engine under tray.

The headlight brackets that I've listed must allow for the bumper to fix into these new headlight brackets properly. I'll contact FRF and see how much these brackets are and will decide yah or nay. Good to know nothing else is needed. I had read the current air scoop thing just needs to be cutdown slightly but i'll re-read the thread when I come to doing it.

Wouldn't mind a little more detail on the rear lights change but it will be a while before I look at doing that.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 20:07   #262
Volubilis

I'm confused. I have an early 07 and have just got hold of an 09 front bumper i want to fit. I know you need to change the h/lights but do they fit straight in or do i need to change brackets etc ?
Also. With regards to the fog lights, has anyone fitted a set of 2012my DRL's instead ?
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 20:23   #263
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volubilis View Post
I'm confused. I have an early 07 and have just got hold of an 09 front bumper i want to fit. I know you need to change the h/lights but do they fit straight in or do i need to change brackets etc ?
Also. With regards to the fog lights, has anyone fitted a set of 2012my DRL's instead ?
If you read the answer Ben gave to my same question you don't need any extras. But he does say the bumper looks like it would slot into brackets under the lights. On VIDA 2011 there is different light brackets from the old to the new, I have given the part numbers for these new ones and was going to call FRF tomorrow to see what they will cost. Although all fits fine and solid without them. If they are not too much I'll order and fit along with the new bumper etc...

Bens Reply Below for quick reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenB View Post
Shedburner - The new shape grille will only fit the new shape bumper, therefore you'll need new bumpers, headlights, grilles, fogs etc!

Under where the headlamp sits you can see the bumper is expecting to slot into a bracket or something, but it doesn't, it just sits there, but it's totally solid I can't see why it would need any more brackets etc to be fitted.

You'll obviously need the grilles, lower grilles and fog surrounds, but have a look how I fitted the old fog lights themselves to the new shape bumper. Although that needs a revision now, I realised that they needed to be flipped upside-down on the opposite sides, as they aimed too high as I had them! They're still in place now so I can't see the point in sourcing facelift ones!
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 20:29   #264
Volubilis

Its the brackets thats confused me, if you need them or not ??
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 20:41   #265
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volubilis View Post
Its the brackets thats confused me, if you need them or not ??
The short answer is NO! (as per Bens answer who has completed the job).

The longer is I just don't know but looking at VIDA there is different light brackets to the old style that the new bumper may fit better/complete with.

Have a look at attached VIDA pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old.JPG (169.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg New.JPG (162.7 KB, 13 views)
Old Oct 31st, 2011, 09:17   #266
BenB
V50 Driver

I've just popped out and snapped a quick photo (filthy car, sorry!) to show what it looks like under my headlamp! So you can see what I mean; it looks like a bracket is needed, but it's really not going anywhere without one. tbh maybe the bracket wouldn't fit a pre-facelift model?? Unless it was really thin?!

Also, regarding the airguide, I'm running without my undertray at the moment, so I can't say either way if that part needs replacing, or whether your old one could be made to fit. Why not wait and see, it's hardly a mission-critical part
BenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2011, 09:27   #267
SonyVaio
VOC Member

A real picture paints a thousand words and all.

Thanks Ben, you may be right and the new bracket may not fit the pre-facelift. I just can't see from your picture where the new bracket could fit and can now appreciate just how much it is not needed.

Again thanks for taking the time to take the pic and clarify. As you say for the air guide I'll just wait and see, no point in spending money that is not needed. Althoug as winter is fast approaching and salt about to hit the streets I would get an engine cover on there soon.

Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 20:55   #268
Volubilis

Thanks Ben, SonyVaio
Old Nov 8th, 2011, 17:50   #269
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Ben/Jason, sorry guys a couple of questions,

Can you please confirm that 2010 R-Design side skirts will fit straight (to a 2004) on or do they need any modifications?

What is the score with the lower door mouldings? Will 2010 R-Design moulding fit straight on too or what modification is required to make them fit?

Many thanks, my parts list is almost geting there. I even managed to pick up a new 2010 R-design (Iron) Emblam front grille. Just need to get everything else good to go.

Last edited by SonyVaio; Nov 8th, 2011 at 17:53.
Old Nov 8th, 2011, 18:04   #270
BenB
V50 Driver

The skirts fit straight on, but some of the holes are in different places. You needn't use every fixer anyway, just as long as there's some all along the skirt, or of course you could drill some new holes. Make sure you have enough clips (upper ones and lower ones) before you start dismantling your car, as they aren't reusable.

Door mouldings are quite different I think, Jason/Johnnie will clarify. I just painted my textured ones gloss, if you're being picky they are actually a different shape, but they are so damn easy to undo (torx screw either end from the inside) that it's certainly worth a try! I think the door mouldings are £70 each new!!
BenB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BenB For This Useful Post:

Tags
v50 facelift, vaiotag