Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Best way to attach spoiler

Views : 4097

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 19:42   #1
cootuk
Premier Member

Default Best way to attach spoiler

I had a spoiler fitted a couple of months ago which looks like it was industrial glued on. It fell off last night and the dealer thinks someone must have loosened it a bit trying to nick it, then water got in around the glue, froze, and pushed it off overnight...sounds plausible.
Would there be any disadvantage in drilling the tailgate above the glass so it could be glued and bolted on? The spoiler could then also be countersunk drilled, and filler put over the bolt heads.
This is an aftermarket spoiler, not original equipment.
I don't fancy it falling off when I'm bombing down the motorway.
cootuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2002, 23:25   #2
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

Default RE: Best way to attach spoiler

Youre spoiler should have been bolted on in the first place , i cant understand why it it would only be glued on , what type was it and who fitted it ?

cheers dave
Old Apr 5th, 2002, 05:30   #3
cootuk
Premier Member

A small independant dealer fitted it.They're small but pretty reliable and honest (as far as car dealers go!). They've fitted more than a few spoilers this way.

It's an aftermarket spoiler for the top of a tailgate for an 850 estate. The spoiler itself doesn't have any bolt holes premade or any sticking out tabs etc, just a flat shaped spoiler contoured to fit at either end. It glues onto the top of the tailgate and over to the top of the glass window.
I believe the glue used should have been strong enough to set and hold it in place, though maybe it didn't cure for long enough or high enough temperature. Afterall they glue aeroplane bits on these days, it's not like they used Araldite....

The spoiler could easily be drilled, a bolt countersunk, and the bolt head covered with filler.
I just wondered about the cons of drilling the top of the tailgate above the glass in terms of opening up the metal to rust.

Also just wondering how everyone has has there's fitted, whether they are drilled and bolted, or glued.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 09:07   #4
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

The spoiler should have two threaded inserts to bolt to , i believe volvo genuine ones are like that and any aftermarket spoiler i have bought certainly has them , they havent been filled with sikaflex (polyurethane adhesive) which is what they should have used to stick it down - and it sticks like you know what. drilling the holes shouldnt be a problem , just touch up the paint and make sure draon holes in the bottom are free
Old Apr 5th, 2002, 19:10   #5
cootuk
Premier Member

Thanks for that..having a good close look the spoiler is made by ASD,
model DF19500, and there are indeed two small holes at either end...these holes align just where the rear window glass is so can't be bolted through directly. I assume there must be a mounting bracket which clips to the top side edge of the tailgate (so it's hidden by the spoiler) that the spoiler then bolts onto...unless of course anyone knows any different.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 00:20   #6
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

I think you have hit the nail on the head Cootuk, as the 960 ones have three attachment points fixed to the tailgate and the spoiler slides onto these.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2002, 06:39   #7
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

If your dealer can't help you (and they should) contact ASD direct - your dealer should be able to give you their name - and ask about the mounting bracket.

Sticking your spoiler on like this would put you wide open to legal action if the spoiler fell off at speed and caused an accident.

I'd also check the paintwork where the spoiler was stuck on to see if there is any residue you should be removing.
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2002, 22:15   #8
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

ASD spoilers are the ones i sell on my website , thay are the best quality aftermarket spoilers so should fit correctly , i would go back to the fitters and inform them that they should do it correctly for no extra charge .

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 10:27   #9
cootuk
Premier Member

I've been back and spoken to them...the spoiler cost about £150 fully fitted, and they say these cheaper ones do NOT come with brackets, but just glue on.
So do ASD supply the spoilers with bracket?

To add to this now, they had a spoiler delivered initially from EuroCarParts that didn't contain a bracket, so they sent it back.
The replacement also didn't contain a bracket. The instructions do not mention a bracket, only adhesive. They rang Euro, and said they were missing brackets, and Euro say they are no longer supplied.

So all I need is a place that will sell me the appropriate brackets.
Old Apr 11th, 2002, 21:20   #10
sdevans1

Don't use the glue is my advice.

I bought an ASD spoiler from Eurocarparts last year and it came with glue. I phoned them and they told me that the glue was sufficient to fit the spoiler. I was dissatisfied with that so I asked around about a mounting kit for the spoiler.

Apparently, the ASD spoiler is identical to the Volvo one (which comes from Sam Steffanson in Sweden) and therefore will take the same mounting kit or brackets as the OEM spoiler.

I bought the brackets from my local main dealer, Baytrack for £30 and they fitted perfectly. Total cost of the spoiler + delivery + brackets + paint job was about £150.

Definitely worth it.

Hope this helps

Stephen