Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 7586

Replies : 225

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 15:39   #201
Othen
Premier Member
 
Othen's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 09:41
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Corby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I was just look at the sellers screen name - i wonder if he owns a Panther Deville?
Oh yes - I see!
__________________
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 06:49   #202
Othen
Premier Member
 
Othen's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 09:41
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Corby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I think it's going to fizzle out Alan, maybe a few more bids to 11-1200 but doubt it'll get any higher. I may be wrong, it might go silly this time tomorrow or perhaps in the last half-hour but i doubt it.
... 1470 with half a day to go Dave, but the reserve has still not been met. I'll check again this eve and see what it goes for - my bet is just short of 2,000.

PS. Looking at the pattern of bids it does look like someone might be trying to chivvy it along a bit - that wouldn't be the seller of course :-)
__________________

Last edited by Othen; Jan 13th, 2021 at 06:52.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 11:47   #203
Laird Scooby
Premier Member
 
Laird Scooby's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 23:08
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lakenheath
Default

I had a quick look last night Alan and it was up to 1470 and the bid history is certainly "interesting". Looks like one person has put in a few large bids and someone else has been pushing it up little by little - this can be seen if you view the Automatic Bids.

I'd certainly agree it seems like shill bidding is going on.
__________________
Cheers

Dave

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Rover 827 Sterling and a 765 GLEa V6!
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 23:54   #204
Othen
Premier Member
 
Othen's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 09:41
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Corby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I had a quick look last night Alan and it was up to 1470 and the bid history is certainly "interesting". Looks like one person has put in a few large bids and someone else has been pushing it up little by little - this can be seen if you view the Automatic Bids.

I'd certainly agree it seems like shill bidding is going on.
... About as expected, the top bid was 1807 - which I thought was about right for that car - but the reserve was not met. How much does the seller think a rusty 40 year old car is worth?
__________________
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 00:15   #205
Laird Scooby
Premier Member
 
Laird Scooby's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 23:08
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lakenheath
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... About as expected, the top bid was 1807 - which I thought was about right for that car - but the reserve was not met. How much does the seller think a rusty 40 year old car is worth?
I saw it earlier Alan but fell asleep before i could reply! Here's the bid history, i've made my mind up about it but would be interested in your thoughts too :

Bidder
Bid amount Bid time
9***9(881feedback score: 881) 1,807.00 13 Jan 2021 at 7:46:13PM GMT
3***4(1503feedback score: 1503) 1,757.00 13 Jan 2021 at 8:33:54PM GMT
c***9(364feedback score: 364) 1,500.00 9 Jan 2021 at 4:41:45PM GMT
9***9(881feedback score: 881) 1,450.00 12 Jan 2021 at 6:20:11PM GMT
9***9(881feedback score: 881) 1,200.00 12 Jan 2021 at 6:19:53PM GMT
9***9(881feedback score: 881) 1,020.00 11 Jan 2021 at 9:08:37AM GMT
1***8(259feedback score: 259) 910.00 9 Jan 2021 at 8:41:00AM GMT
9***9(881feedback score: 881) 900.00 7 Jan 2021 at 2:15:23PM GMT
2***0(726feedback score: 726) 870.00 8 Jan 2021 at 8:12:03PM GMT
4***4(834feedback score: 834) 750.00 8 Jan 2021 at 8:51:24AM GMT
4***j(19feedback score: 19) 560.00 7 Jan 2021 at 7:37:22AM GMT
h***3(1143feedback score: 1143) 520.00 7 Jan 2021 at 5:36:39AM GMT
r***2(244feedback score: 244) 510.00 7 Jan 2021 at 3:56:05AM GMT
x***f(393feedback score: 393) 500.00 6 Jan 2021 at 10:13:06PM GMT
Starting price 500.00 6 Jan 2021 at 8:34:46PM GMT

A couple of things haven't copied like the fancy colours for the feedback stars but you can see the anonymous names ebay has allocated to each bidder.
__________________
Cheers

Dave

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Rover 827 Sterling and a 765 GLEa V6!
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 00:36   #206
Othen
Premier Member
 
Othen's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 09:41
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Corby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I saw it earlier Alan but fell asleep before i could reply! Here's the bid history, i've made my mind up about it but would be interested in your thoughts too :

Bidder
Bid amount Bid time
9***9(881feedback score: 881) 1,807.00 13 Jan 2021 at 7:46:13PM GMT
3***4(1503feedback score: 1503) 1,757.00 13 Jan 2021 at 8:33:54PM GMT
c***9(364feedback score: 364) 1,500.00 9 Jan 2021 at 4:41:45PM GMT
9***9(881feedback score: 881) 1,450.00 12 Jan 2021 at 6:20:11PM GMT
9***9(881feedback score: 881) 1,200.00 12 Jan 2021 at 6:19:53PM GMT
9***9(881feedback score: 881) 1,020.00 11 Jan 2021 at 9:08:37AM GMT
1***8(259feedback score: 259) 910.00 9 Jan 2021 at 8:41:00AM GMT
9***9(881feedback score: 881) 900.00 7 Jan 2021 at 2:15:23PM GMT
2***0(726feedback score: 726) 870.00 8 Jan 2021 at 8:12:03PM GMT
4***4(834feedback score: 834) 750.00 8 Jan 2021 at 8:51:24AM GMT
4***j(19feedback score: 19) 560.00 7 Jan 2021 at 7:37:22AM GMT
h***3(1143feedback score: 1143) 520.00 7 Jan 2021 at 5:36:39AM GMT
r***2(244feedback score: 244) 510.00 7 Jan 2021 at 3:56:05AM GMT
x***f(393feedback score: 393) 500.00 6 Jan 2021 at 10:13:06PM GMT
Starting price 500.00 6 Jan 2021 at 8:34:46PM GMT

A couple of things haven't copied like the fancy colours for the feedback stars but you can see the anonymous names ebay has allocated to each bidder.
Something looks a bit dodgy about 9***9 perhaps, but then it has a good feedback score so...?
__________________
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 01:30   #207
Laird Scooby
Premier Member
 
Laird Scooby's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 23:08
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lakenheath
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Something looks a bit dodgy about 9***9 perhaps, but then it has a good feedback score so...?
That's precisely what i thought - either a genuine bidder but not willing to go any higher but always seemed to be just that bit ahead of the game on the bids. Most of the time is understandable but always?

Could also be a shill bidder (one of the sellers friends who has already built good feedback legitimately) who knows the reserve and has deliberately placed bids to just below the reserve so the next bid increment takes the car past the reserve and on sale.

For example, if the reserve is 1850, the next bid increment (50 at that price) would take the price to 1857 so would be sold then.

I still suspect the reserve to be nearer 3k based on the original Buy It Now price. Maybe it will appear with a lower reerve or maybe even no reserve
__________________
Cheers

Dave

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Rover 827 Sterling and a 765 GLEa V6!
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 07:19   #208
Othen
Premier Member
 
Othen's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 09:41
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Corby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That's precisely what i thought - either a genuine bidder but not willing to go any higher but always seemed to be just that bit ahead of the game on the bids. Most of the time is understandable but always?

Could also be a shill bidder (one of the sellers friends who has already built good feedback legitimately) who knows the reserve and has deliberately placed bids to just below the reserve so the next bid increment takes the car past the reserve and on sale.

For example, if the reserve is 1850, the next bid increment (50 at that price) would take the price to 1857 so would be sold then.

I still suspect the reserve to be nearer 3k based on the original Buy It Now price. Maybe it will appear with a lower reerve or maybe even no reserve
That could well be Dave.

We discussed the reserve price previously Dave - I thought it might (sensibly) have been something like 1500, but perhaps you are right. If the seller really has set it at around 3000 it will still be for sale this time next year. We may well see it advertised again, I'll keep an eye open for it.

I notice this one has come up again, I recall it selling a few months ago (but I can't remember the price it went for):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STUNNING-...53.m1438.l2649

... it is undoubtedly a good car, but a low spec model and not in a nice colour, but 11,000?

Alan
__________________
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 12:10   #209
Laird Scooby
Premier Member
 
Laird Scooby's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 23:08
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lakenheath
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post

I notice this one has come up again, I recall it selling a few months ago (but I can't remember the price it went for):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STUNNING-...53.m1438.l2649

... it is undoubtedly a good car, but a low spec model and not in a nice colour, but 11,000?

Alan
There's a few big red flags waving on that one Alan! First it's very low mileage. Second it was originally registered in the London area (think they mention Harpenden in Hertfordshire so London borders) and it's lived in Scotland and now Wales. Doubtless other places in between as well.
Normally low mileage cars stay relatively local to where they were registered.

Third big flag is it appears to have undergone a major restoration but is being sold as original. Given their propensity for rust in the late 70s i wonder how much is original metal.

There are probably a few more that i haven't found yet but i'd approach with caution.
__________________
Cheers

Dave

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Rover 827 Sterling and a 765 GLEa V6!
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 14:17   #210
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister
 
loki_the_glt's Avatar
 

Last Online: Jan 15th, 2021 19:56
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Asgard, Cheshire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
There's a few big red flags waving on that one Alan! First it's very low mileage. Second it was originally registered in the London area (think they mention Harpenden in Hertfordshire so London borders) and it's lived in Scotland and now Wales. Doubtless other places in between as well.
Normally low mileage cars stay relatively local to where they were registered.

Third big flag is it appears to have undergone a major restoration but is being sold as original. Given their propensity for rust in the late 70s i wonder how much is original metal.

There are probably a few more that i haven't found yet but i'd approach with caution.
I had a Portsmouth-registered FIAT Mirafiori that I bought in Paisley; the car was a fleet vehicle (Wadham Stringer) that was used by a Glasgow businessman and sold on to me by WAdham Stringer's Scottish Area Manager at the end of the lease period so it's possible this Volvo was similar.

I'd agree that there are many alarm bells ringing: the vendor wanted an estate but bought a saloon - did he not look at the back end of the car?; several thousand pounds-worth of refurb/recommissioning work before he acquired it and a further large amount during his tenure; a new cross-member on a car that was "very good" and is now "near concours".
__________________
loki_the_glt - Skipper of the Exxon Valdez, driver of Sweden's finest sporting saloon - and pining for another Slant-4.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:12.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.