Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A new old 1984 244 GL automatic

Views : 2488

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2020, 18:55   #31
Agnew

Alan, no worries, this is a subject of great interest to me as well, having the same idle speed drop on my car.

Regarding your vacuum advance experiment, the way to verify would be to adjust the idle speed lower in P, to match the idle speed in D, but without being in D. So, same idle speed, but no engine load. What does the timing do then?

Talking of timing, I am a bit perplexed by the specs of the Volvo manual. It seem to hint towards less advance for automatic transmission versions and even less if it is a 245GL automatic and even less if you’re towing and even less if you live on top of a hill…!

So, the 15° BTDC becomes 10° BTDC, or 8° BTDC, or 5° BTDC, or2 ° BTDC!! In the UK, 3-star was the originally recommended fuel, but the manual talks about 98 octane fuel. So, what would be the “correct” setting for 95 octane unleaded, for a B17A in a 244 GL automatic?

I’ve never gone as far as Cyprus, did you go via Turkey, Israel, or boat to Greece? Sounds like fun! I’ve never driven a Mazda,a s far as I can remember. I’ve done the Uk-to-Greece-and-back drive 28 times, with different vehicles, my favourite being a 70’s Bedford van with a 2.3c Vauxhall Slant-4 motor. A bit loud, but otherwise comfortable and reliable (and fast of you have earplugs).
Agnew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Agnew For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 18:03   #32
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnew View Post

I’ve never gone as far as Cyprus, did you go via Turkey, Israel, or boat to Greece? Sounds like fun! I’ve never driven a Mazda,a s far as I can remember. I’ve done the Uk-to-Greece-and-back drive 28 times, with different vehicles, my favourite being a 70’s Bedford van with a 2.3c Vauxhall Slant-4 motor. A bit loud, but otherwise comfortable and reliable (and fast of you have earplugs).
Good eve,
I got a boat to Greece both times (Limassol to Piraeus I think). If I remember correctly (it was 30 years ago) the first time I just headed up the Dalmatian Coast, which was beautiful but a bit risky (finding fuel and bandits), then Austria, Germany etc. The second time I got another boat to Italy (I think Brindisi - overnight trip on a lorry-drivers' ferry, I've never seen people smoke so much). I remember meeting up with a stunning Dutch girl on the boat, she came all the way back with me and we saw each other for quite a while afterwards, so that trip was quite memorable.
Fond memories (trip, car and girl).
Alan

Last edited by Othen; Aug 9th, 2020 at 19:19.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 19:27   #33
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Talking of timing, I am a bit perplexed by the specs of the Volvo manual. It seem to hint towards less advance for automatic transmission versions and even less if it is a 245GL automatic and even less if you’re towing and even less if you live on top of a hill…!

So, the 15° BTDC becomes 10° BTDC, or 8° BTDC, or 5° BTDC, or2 ° BTDC!! In the UK, 3-star was the originally recommended fuel, but the manual talks about 98 octane fuel. So, what would be the “correct” setting for 95 octane unleaded, for a B17A in a 244 GL automatic?
I can't answer this one I'm afraid, but I'm sure one of the much more knowledgeable 200 aficionados will be able to help with not only the setting for your car, but also the rationale.

I just followed the BofH and set the RB at 15 BTDC - and noticed a good improvement.

I run the RB on Morrison's very cheapest regular gas (I think that is 95 octane - I could be wrong), and that seems to work just fine.

Alan
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 19:31   #34
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Alan, no worries, this is a subject of great interest to me as well, having the same idle speed drop on my car.

Regarding your vacuum advance experiment, the way to verify would be to adjust the idle speed lower in P, to match the idle speed in D, but without being in D. So, same idle speed, but no engine load. What does the timing do then?
My experiment wasn't all that scientific in that I didn't exhaust all the possibilities. I was thinking of pulling the head off again just to check everything during the winter break, if I do that I'll conduct a more rigorous experiment when I put it back together so... watch this space :-)

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Aug 9th, 2020 at 19:31. Reason: Spelling error.