Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D3 fuel consumption

Views : 21309

Replies : 92

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 21st, 2010, 08:59   #11
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Gingerboy I think Clan's answered that one! I've got more pics and will try and get them up a little later.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 09:33   #12
Gingerboy

Thankyou Clan & Tommy

I will look forward to you posting some more pic's

Paul
Gingerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 21:08   #13
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerboy View Post
Thankyou Clan & Tommy

I will look forward to you posting some more pic's

Paul
Pics now on line in an album under my profile. Not done any internals yet, but inside it looks standard apart from I chose the dark fineline trim instead of the standard aluminium stuff.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 21:33   #14
SouthOxon

Hum, you are going to have fun cleaning those wheels. I'm lazy; that is why I chose 'Balder' wheels for the car I collect finallytomorrow. At long last.
SouthOxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 23:07   #15
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthOxon View Post
Hum, you are going to have fun cleaning those wheels. I'm lazy; that is why I chose 'Balder' wheels for the car I collect finallytomorrow. At long last.
Wheel cleaning is always one of my considerations when choosing wheels; these Njord ones are actually good, cleaned them today. Takes about 2 minutes per wheel to do a thorough job, without resorting to chemicals! The more expensive alloys look a nightmare to clean. Personally I thought the 5 spoke Balder wheels were a bit old school so thought they weren't for me, but only my personal taste, don't take it as an insult!

Genuinely pleased for you that yours is arriving tomorrow and really interested in hearing your views over the next few weeks and beyond and seeing some pics.

(Just to keep this thread on topic: my current tank of fuel is looking at averaging 42mpg: been enjoying the engine a little!)

P.S I'm not lazy, when it comes to cars!

Last edited by tommyweaves; Nov 21st, 2010 at 23:28. Reason: parenthesis missing
The Following User Says Thank You to tommyweaves For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 00:19   #16
Gingerboy

Hi Tommy

Many thanks for posting the pic's as that has helped put my mind at ease in terms of the lack of images of the various trims which are / are not available from Volvo.

Liking the Njord wheels, I opted for the Balder wheels purely on the basis of the mileage I do and that they would be easier to clean than the Njord design.... only time will tell if that was the right decision.

Now the long wait begins :-( for my car! Whilst it has been ordered this week it is being held until March when my Mazda 6 is due for replacement.

I have to say that given the general feedback on the forum so far iot looks like I should be getting better MPG as well. The Mazda's is nothing like the published figures and it seems a common complaint amongst the earlier 2.0ltr diesel owners. Mine is currently averaging about 38-39mpg even when being driven like Miss Daisy.

Once again many thanks for posting the pic's

Paul

p.s. how many sleeps until March ;-)
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 01:43   #17
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerboy View Post
Hi Tommy

Many thanks for posting the pic's as that has helped put my mind at ease in terms of the lack of images of the various trims which are / are not available from Volvo.

Liking the Njord wheels, I opted for the Balder wheels purely on the basis of the mileage I do and that they would be easier to clean than the Njord design.... only time will tell if that was the right decision.

Now the long wait begins :-( for my car! Whilst it has been ordered this week it is being held until March when my Mazda 6 is due for replacement.

I have to say that given the general feedback on the forum so far iot looks like I should be getting better MPG as well. The Mazda's is nothing like the published figures and it seems a common complaint amongst the earlier 2.0ltr diesel owners. Mine is currently averaging about 38-39mpg even when being driven like Miss Daisy.

Once again many thanks for posting the pic's

Paul

p.s. how many sleeps until March ;-)
Paul, LOL at the "sleeps", I only waited 5 weeks from order to get mine and I was like a ten year old waiting for Xmas.

I remember collecting mine having driven a D5 SE demonstator with 15k on the clock (it felt it a bit agricultural with turbo lag like my old Passat) and then testing a newer D3 which felt better but it was a very high spec car and alarms kept going off (BLIS) which was distracting. (Note to dealers: check your tyre pressures before demonstrating to customers). When I drove away in my own D3 I'd only gone a couple of miles and I already felt a little but special. It was the right engine and the right spec and it felt fab!

I note your comment on mileage; I do about 25k per year, half work, half private - I go gently in work time (car allowance and mileage allowance) and then enjoy my private miles with more vigorous driving. I reckon for me the fuel consumption is about the same on this V70 as it is for my past Passat (2006 2.0 TDI saloon 140 ps) which used to take 70 litres every 600 miles on an a "good" average week. Currently I'm getting better mpg from the D3 than from the Passat, but there are reasons for that:

1. The D3 is a common rail (CR) diesel as opposed to the older PD VW unit, so should be more economical through combustion efficiency, however the VW didn't have a DPF which the D3 has............................. and then we're into the bigger discussion about DPFs etc which I'm happy to recognise but it's not for this post. Ultimately my view is that the D3 kicking out 163 ps is as economical as a 2006 VW Passat TDI kicking out 140 ps, even though the Volvo weighs a quarter of a tonne more and is arguably less aerodynamic.

2. The Passat was a good car, but I felt I had to "drive" it. The best way I can describe it is this: You have a meeting in the day, throughout which you've had to concentrate, which is draining, then you have a couple of hours drive back again; the last thing you need is having to drive home in a car that needs to be "driven", you need a car that'll take you home without
any effort. That's what my car does, without fuss, without showiness, but with style and comfort. What that means is that I don't feel the need to drive faster than the speed limit, and ...................ta da................the connection to the thread............my fuel consumption is massively improved by the manner of driving!! Believe me, 60 is far more economical than 75.

(Send me a private message if you want to know how fast the D3 is, I'm not posting it on the 'net)

P.S. Paul, the Mazda is "Henson" compared to the Volvo which is "JPR" or "Edwards"

P.P.S. remind me what you ordered?

Last edited by tommyweaves; Nov 22nd, 2010 at 01:46.
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 10:23   #18
Gingerboy

Hi Tommy

Your comment regarding driving style makes sense as I had a extended test drive in a DŁ and my driving style changed completely. The things that jumped out as massive positives were seat comfort and how quiet the cabin was compared to my Mazda.

I have ordered:

V70 ES with the following extras / options
Vittinge Leather / cloth seats
17" Balder alloys
BLIS with free family pack
Bluetooth
Heated front seats
Special black stone paint
Tempa spare wheel

I think that is everything

Paul
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 22:16   #19
telecom dave

Has anybody got the Geartronic? Would be interested to know what fuel consumption they are getting. Got to better than my soon to be no more Mondeo TDCi....or so I hope.

Not long to wait now. Its actually at the dealers, have seen it in the flesh and has been for a couple of weeks which is pretty good, considering they were originally quoting Feb for delivery. So infuriating that I can't have it 'til the 13th until the lease expires on my old one.

Would be interested to see the Dark fineline trim Tommy as I've gone for that too. I wanted to be a bit different as I've seen very few with that option.

Dave
telecom dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 15:40   #20
irishcarfan
Master Member

Tommy, that 'fineline' trim looks awesome and adds a real touch of quality/class to the interior. Very nice looking car, and the wheels suit it too.

Any comments/problems with the interior? Parking brake etc.
irishcarfan is offline   Reply With Quote