Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D3 fuel consumption

Views : 21310

Replies : 92

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2010, 16:11   #21
Gingerboy

Hi Dave

The V70 D3 SE I had an extended test drive of was a geartronic and it was showing 39mpg based on historical data. I reset it for the short period I used it and managed 43mpg but in fairness it had very low miles on it = less than 4,000 and by all accounts had been on loan for a week to a customer who used it on short local runs.

During the time i used it was a mixture of A, B roads and dual carriageways and real mixed driving i.e. cruising at 70 and also some enthusiastic but safe driving on the A and B roads so in reality on a run I would imagine you could easily better the figure of 43mpg if you were driving sensibly.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecom dave View Post
Has anybody got the Geartronic? Would be interested to know what fuel consumption they are getting. Got to better than my soon to be no more Mondeo TDCi....or so I hope.

Not long to wait now. Its actually at the dealers, have seen it in the flesh and has been for a couple of weeks which is pretty good, considering they were originally quoting Feb for delivery. So infuriating that I can't have it 'til the 13th until the lease expires on my old one.

Would be interested to see the Dark fineline trim Tommy as I've gone for that too. I wanted to be a bit different as I've seen very few with that option.

Dave
Gingerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gingerboy For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 18:02   #22
telecom dave

Thanks for adding the interior pic Tommy, know I made the right choice now!

And thats definitely better than my current Mondy Paul! Currently getting c.35 mpg around town and on the commute, and c.41 on a run.
telecom dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to telecom dave For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 18:56   #23
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcarfan View Post
Tommy, that 'fineline' trim looks awesome and adds a real touch of quality/class to the interior. Very nice looking car, and the wheels suit it too.

Any comments/problems with the interior? Parking brake etc.
Thanks! I thought the aluminium trim was a bit too much (shiny/technical) for a volvo interior so thought the dark trim would be more in keeping with a gentleman's car!

Interior all good, electronic parking brake is fine, as I had that for 5 years on my Passat, but the position of the button is awful, too low and not easily visible.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 21:21   #24
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Just to keep this thread relevant to D3 fuel consumption............

Last tank averaged about 41mpg brim to brim, and this was echoed by mpg displayed by car within a few percentage points. Done 230 miles on current tank and currently showing 50mpg, primarily A1 motoway driving with cruise control at 70.

I'm forming the opinion that if you drive this engine in a "spirited" fashion you'd get low 30s, but if you really want to maximise fuel economy, to the point of being a pain to other road users (i.e. joining the lorries in the slow lane and overtaking at a snail's pace), you could get somewhere approaching 60mpg. I think I'd be happy to get a long term average of anything above 40mpg with a mix of driving. After all, I got the D3 for a reason, otherwise I'd have bought a 1.6 eDrive!
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 12:42   #25
ccaallvviin

This is interesting as I am a gnats watsit away from ordering an XC70 D3 Drive SE Lux to replace our 07 (old shape) V70 2.4D.

With 80k on the the clock our V70 averages 40mpg, but on the motorway you can get much more, is it fair to say that the D3 is more economical? I'd hate to take a step back in the mpg stakes as it will be a company car and I don't want a kicking from the boss!

As an aside, I notice that MPG on both the V70 and C30 have dropped off quite a lot in the colder weather we've been having recently.
ccaallvviin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ccaallvviin For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 13:32   #26
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaallvviin View Post
This is interesting as I am a gnats watsit away from ordering an XC70 D3 Drive SE Lux to replace our 07 (old shape) V70 2.4D.

With 80k on the the clock our V70 averages 40mpg, but on the motorway you can get much more, is it fair to say that the D3 is more economical? I'd hate to take a step back in the mpg stakes as it will be a company car and I don't want a kicking from the boss!

As an aside, I notice that MPG on both the V70 and C30 have dropped off quite a lot in the colder weather we've been having recently.
I'm getting a bit confused by Volvo's "DRIVe" stuff.

Am I right in saying that the "D3 Drive" you mention above is what I know as the 163ps D3? The "Drive" part only meaning it's part of Volvo's initiative on reduced emmisions and doesn't actually form part of the car's formal badging?

I've just looked on the Volvo website for the 109ps 1.6D for the V70 and it's not there as an option on their car configurator. I'm sure it was there last month.

In response to your question: I'm assuming the XC70 D3 you're looking at is FWD and not AWD, thus helping the fuel efficiency as part of the DRIVe initiative. If that's correct I believe the official fuel efficiency is a little less than on the V70 D3, presumably because of weight and aerodynamics. I would expect a new D3 V70 to be no less economical than the old style V70 with the 136 ps 2.4D. Comparing the XC70 D3 with your 07 V70 is a less easy comparison to make.
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 10:39   #27
dufeua

1.6D drivE [109ps] is being replaced by D3 drivE [163ps] 1.6d is no longer avail as it only meets mandated Euro 3 targets. D3 is Euro 4 hence the change, 1.6 DrivE fits into the 'all the time normal driving pace' you can't normally go any faster these days..... relaxed and lower cabin noise with the 1.6D. D3 nice punchy overtake though but do you actually get anywhere? Next set of lights and the steady 1.6D is right behind you. You really have to get a pace on to increase the average speed. Even continental autoroutes fully loaded its more than adequate to exceed the speed limit. Why did Volvo go the D3 route and not upgrade the 1.6 to Euro v? Probably badge engineering .. I couldnt possilby have of those ... a mere 1.6 in a Volvo estate PAh. All of a sudden it was adequte and now its not. D3 is a nice option but its [was] also another £1900. D3 is the way to go if it hits the real day consumption figures as advertised.
dufeua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 10:57   #28
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufeua View Post
1.6D drivE [109ps] is being replaced by D3 drivE [163ps] 1.6d is no longer avail as it only meets mandated Euro 3 targets. D3 is Euro 4 hence the change, 1.6 DrivE fits into the 'all the time normal driving pace' you can't normally go any faster these days..... relaxed and lower cabin noise with the 1.6D. D3 nice punchy overtake though but do you actually get anywhere? Next set of lights and the steady 1.6D is right behind you. You really have to get a pace on to increase the average speed. Even continental autoroutes fully loaded its more than adequate to exceed the speed limit. Why did Volvo go the D3 route and not upgrade the 1.6 to Euro v? Probably badge engineering .. I couldnt possilby have of those ... a mere 1.6 in a Volvo estate PAh. All of a sudden it was adequte and now its not. D3 is a nice option but its [was] also another £1900. D3 is the way to go if it hits the real day consumption figures as advertised.
The 109 bhp 1.6 D is replaced not by the D3 163 but by the D2 which is a 2 valve per cylinder 1.6D with 115 bhp rather than the 4 valve 109 bhp ...
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 12:11   #29
dufeua

Nope - as far as I am aware only avail as a D3... dont even think there is a DRIVe now? Only 5 cyl diesels - NO 4 cyls anymore
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 12:14   #30
dufeua

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufeua View Post
Nope - as far as I am aware only avail as a D3... dont even think there is a DRIVe now? Only 5 cyl diesels - NO 4 cyls anymore
IN the V70 range anyway