Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spare wheel???

Views : 13576

Replies : 62

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2012, 11:20   #11
Rick Barton
Master Member

On the latest price list the space saver wheel and jack option is priced at £150 inclusive of VAT, whereas if you try to order one from the parts department it's nearer £300!

I have been told by the dealer that the deletion of the space saver wheel was due to shortages of rubber (yes, really!) and also as a result of research that found that the average incidence of punctures is one in eight years. I also suspect that the weight saving of using a compressor and sealant helps to improve mpg and CO2 emission figures. The sealant supplied by Volvo is the Continental brand. It is quoted somewhere near £300 from the Volvo dealers but is available retail for about £50-£60!

I really don't 'get' the pricing on these items - it really leaves a bad taste in the mouth (no pun intended in respect of the GrantA's experience).

Last edited by Rick Barton; Jun 14th, 2012 at 11:49.
Rick Barton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 11:47   #12
Auldgit
Master Member

Yes as I said before it's a policy that's hardly likely to win any friends- can't understand it. No doubt it all makes sense to the bean counters. Sad really, but they seem to get in everywhere.
Auldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 19:52   #13
GrantA
Master Member

Just spoke to my son who has a new Vauxhall Insignia (sorry to mention that here but it is a company car) anyway he was shocked that I didn't have a spare or jack and decided to check his (new) car and low and behold Vauxhall don't supply them either. All he has is a can of squirty goo sealant, no compressor nothing else.

So do I detect a trend here, I wonder how many other vehicle manufacturers now do the same and put it down to err umm "shortage of rubber".
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 19:06   #14
Auldgit
Master Member

Sent an enquiry to Volvo, they confirm that a spare wheel is no longer offered even as an option. They understand that it may affect my choice of vehicle, but hey-ho who cares I'm only a customer. Words fail.

To all those out there with the space saver wheel, hang on to it at all cost, it's going to be a big selling point in the future..............

PJC
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 11:24   #15
GrantA
Master Member

Taking my sad tale of gooey sealant one step further I decided to order a replacement bottle of sealant until I can source a jack and space saver wheel. Luckily for me (on a pension) I found a replacement bottle of sealant for my "Continental ContiComfortKit Compressor" on Fleebay for only £17.48, if I had had a Volvo Compressor with the same set up (with a bottle of sealant) the replacement bottle would have cost £41, what's all that about? does the same job or is it all in the name??

I had to clean out the old goo sealant from the compressor, not a problem but if you don't have a small Torx screwdriver you'll have a problem getting the bottle out of the compressor housing!!

What's next............. ah those bloody headlights and adjusting for continental driving......
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 09:06   #16
apersson850
Premier Member

Looks like I should be happy that there's a wheelbarrow wheel supplied with my 2012 XC70!

apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 11:11   #17
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
Looks like I should be happy that there's a wheelbarrow wheel supplied with my 2012 XC70!

Bloody 'ell that looks a bit small!! No wonder you have a speed restriction on its use.
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 13:54   #18
Auldgit
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantA View Post
Bloody 'ell that looks a bit small!! No wonder you have a speed restriction on its use.
Looks a hell of a lot more useful than a tin of goo though.................. I've been telling my mates about this and I'm sure they don't believe me. Expect a drop in Volvo sales when the word gets around....
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 13:58   #19
Chaddie
Ex Serial Volvo Buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post

How do you fit that big full sized wheel where that space saver is stored in the car?

XC70 SE Lux D5 (215bhp) Geartronic (2012MY)
Drivers Pack, Security Pack, Winter Pack, Family Pack, Dark Tint Glass,
Active 4C, Front & Rear Cameras, DAB Radio, Spoiler & Side Scuff Plates.
Chaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 16:06   #20
clivea
clivea

You don't so if your car is loaded as mine is when caravanning it would have to go into the caravan, or on OH's lap! They really have thought this one through, it would not be so restrictive if you could stow the punctured wheel or a full size spare in the well by having some blocks that allow the odds and sods shelf and boot floor to be raised, but the well diameter needs increasing. Or perhaps you could keep your full size spare uninflated and then inflate it using the compressor and goo!

I don't object to space savers per se but at least give the owner the facility to buy his own full size spare and stow it safely. More flexibility in the underfloor area of the boot is needed; heck my wife's Nissan Note achieves better with its flexible load floor and fore/aft movement of the rear seats.

April 2014 Subaru Forester XE Lineatronic.
2010-April 2014 XC70 SE Premium 205ps D5 Geartronic AWD 2010MY Oyster Grey
clivea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clivea For This Useful Post: